cartm25

Dawson Jaramillo (OL) Enters Transfer Portal

Dawson Jaramillo elects to enter Transfer Portal

Oregon redshirt junior offensive lineman Dawson Jaramillo has become the  15th player to enter the transfer portal.

Jaramillo has been one of Oregon's more versatile offensive linemen over the past few seasons. He has experience playing at guard

and tackles in games, while also getting practice at center in case of an emergency situation. He played in 10 games this year for the Ducks.

It was expected heading into the 2023 football season that Jaramillo would contend for a starting role at either guard or tackle for the Ducks.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon redshirt junior offensive lineman Dawson Jaramillo has become the __th player to enter the transfer portal. Jaramillo's...

Not that big of a mullet fan myself, but there was no mistaking Jaramillo's blond locks on the field.

A bit of a surprise here as he was playing well in the rotation and figured to either be a starter or first backup at G or T across the O-line. Particularly as he is a local kid from Lake Oswego.

Perhaps Oregon is set to add the OL transfer from Rhode Island or some other high level portal player that would have reduced his chances of starting.

His younger brother is back in the depth chart some and I wonder if he stays or goes.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Liked it more

This one doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I don't know anything about the young man other than watching him play football. 

With the losses on the O-line he had a really good chance of starting next year, even with some transfers added.

Grass often looks greener from a distance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon has some challenges to get to the 85 scholarship limit by next season with 25+ high school commits and the transfer portal players that have announced that they will be transferring to Oregon and the others they are pursuing. 

The coaches must be having the hard discussions with players about their futures in Eugene (hopefully they aren’t pulling scholarships).

I’m not saying that that is what happened with Dawson but it makes you wonder about some of the other transfers.

On paper, right now, I'd imagine he would be the favorite to start at RT next season. My totally uneducated guess is the staff is either hard after portal RT or sees one of the JCs OL as ready to be plug and play.

I would be surprised right now to see there are very many open P5 starting spots at RT than at Oregon, so DJ must (somehow) be getting the message he is not in a favorable position as at this point in his career, as I image he is looking to be at least an FBS starter, if not a FBS P5 starter. It did appear the previous staff was a bit higher on DJ than the current (and his 6.5 snaps per game average in 2022 probably supports that).

Edited by AnotherOD

Prove yourself and move up is the game in the transfer world. If you don't prove yourself you may get pushed out, also the back story, I would imagine, in many cases.

The real game is for programs to figure out which student athletes, are pushed out, and which just want to keep moving up. Which student athletes are uncoachable in a situation where you need coachable athletes. Every player needs to be on the same page, there can't be lone wolves running around. 

So you try to pick high school kids who haven't been ruined by all the accolades they have received. Too often the elite athletes are full of themselves, and with the NIL money it won't get any better. A good case study would be Texas ATM.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be competing in the world of Rivals ratings, transfer pools and NIL money. It has to be a wild wild world for coaches right now. 

I hope our staff is excited about the opportunity, and good at it. Time will tell, and we might be surprised by the outcome, on the upside, and downside.

Interesting bit in this tweet regarding Ajani Cornelius.  It may be why Jaramillo decided to test the portal.

Offensive tackle is barren in the portal this year, so the good ones really stick out.