FishDuck Article

Building Lanning’s Defense: The Linebackers

Dan Lanning’s defense this season did not live up to his standard, and it wasn’t even close. Oregon’s defense couldn’t get off the field on third downs and struggled to get any pressure on opposing quarterbacks ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning's defense this season did not live up to his standard, and it wasn't even close. Oregon's defense couldn't get off the field on third downs...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article David. As much as I like Flowe and Noah Sewell personally they're not the right fit for where the Ducks are going on D. You're right, Flowe seemed lost a lot of time and although I loved the energy was out of control some. I feel like Sewell took a step back this year.

I think there are a lot of spots on the defensive side with guys that the new coaching staff inherited that aren't the right fits. It's up to them now to fix it.

I have no clue.

Was the Line backer play because they just weren't understanding the defensive play calling? Its incredibly head scratching to see the #1 and #2 HS recruits, at their position, see their potential not lining up.

It will interesting to see if Bassa, in his second year of this style of D, can fill the role. He definitely needs to get better at tackling, seams like he was in the right place most the time but just tried to hit the guy instead of rapping then up.

We really need someone to step into the leadership roll as the D just seamed headless most the time.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:28 AM, 1Funduck said:

the #1 and #2 HS recruits, at their position, see their potential not lining up.

I think if they had not been thru three different defences and had been coached by Dan from the beginning it would have been different for them.

Seams to me that LBs in this system need a high football IQ first and foremost as it's more complicated to know where you need to be on any given play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice article David, thank you.  

I respectfully disagree that the Oregon Defense failed this year.  9 and 3 are not really failure numbers.  Colorado’s defense failed.  Stanford and ASU, failed.

I agree that the Duck Defense failed in the last quarter of the last game.  They were completely unable to slow down the Beaver running game.  They failed to slow Georgia’s offense and they failed to throttle the mutts, but they didn’t fail in the other 9 games.

Oregon’s could have (and should have) been better, yes. Failure, not in my book.

Maybe I am just too much of a Duck Homer.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree that the line backers will need to be agile and fast. They need to attack RBs and drop into pass coverage. However, They shouldn’t shoulder the blame for our defensive issues.

A Georgia type defense is predicated on pressuring the QB fast and often. A DL that can consistently bust up an OL and get into the backfield is really a game changer on defense, and is where Georgia shines.

We all know that pressure on the QB forces quick decisions. If defensive backs are also constantly changing defensive looks it becomes very difficult for QBs to get into a rhythm and thrive. 

The DL is the foundation of the defense. They will need to get better before our defense starts to look like Georgia’s defense. 

Edited by Drake
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The defense this year was mostly good against the run, especially interior running (OSU game was the exception, not the rule). Where we failed was the edge, and pass coverage. 

Totally agree that a better pass rush would have helped the pass coverage. You simply can't cover D1 receivers for more than 3-4 seconds and not get burned way too often. 

But we were getting burned more quickly. 

I wondered often why Flowe and Sewell were not used on blitzes way more often. Just an observation from a rank amature, but they certainly weren't helping that much in pass coverage, why not see if we could get a few more sacks out of them.

We just got potentially a very good one transferring from Iowa and actually have a pretty solid group coming back, even without Flowe and Sewell. 

On 12/16/2022 at 6:28 AM, 1Funduck said:

I have no clue.

Was the Line backer play because they just weren't understanding the defensive play calling? Its incredibly head scratching to see the #1 and #2 HS recruits, at their position, see their potential not lining up.

I think Sewell did a fairly good job this year... he wasn't always flashy but you also watch him on a lot of plays where he was simply in the right position to maintain contain on the quarterback and forced the qb to throw the ball away earlier than they would have liked. That is doing his job but it also isn't recorded in the stat book. 

Against Arizona, I know some linebackers lined up incorrectly and that enabled them to get some explosive run plays in against Oregon. That is a case of players not doing their jobs. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2022 at 8:15 AM, PittDuck said:

I respectfully disagree that the Oregon Defense failed this year.  9 and 3 are not really failure numbers.  Colorado’s defense failed.  Stanford and ASU, failed.

Perhaps some hyperbole on my part... but I think we can both agree they failed to live up to their potential. 

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1