Pennsylvania Duck

QB Dominoes with Dante Moore, Bo Nix, D.J. Uiagalelei, & More

When it comes to the quarterback position for the Oregon Ducks, there are about a million different ways that we could potentially answer the question “who starts at QB in 2023?”

There are a number of viable options out there available who would likely love to come play in Eugene.

Let’s dive into what we know and see what it tells us about where the Ducks go from here.

This is an interesting read with all the twists and turns of a soap opera...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

At this point, there are a million different ways that Oregon’s QB situation could play out. Let’s try to keep them straight.

Very good article detailing all the many possibilities at QB for 2023. The possibly weird opinion is I expect Oregon will be fine at that spot. Backup QB? Something to watch maybe but I would be pretty shocked to not see Oregon without a guy there (it is just too good a spot for the staff to strike out everywhere).

Edge players? Guys in the front 7 who can rush the passer? That is huge -- and on paper at this moment -- I think it's fair to say it is a thing that is possibly even a bigger question -- without the (same) assurance the starting spot (s) will eventually look positive moving forward.

Odds (right now) Oregon on paper at least has a player at QB? I'd have to say easily 80%-90%. Odds Oregon right now has a significant presence at Edge rusher THIS season (or at least in their front 7)? Don't wanna put a number on it but I think 50/50 would be a very favorable prediction. Hope to be way off here.

• Thumbs Up 1

If TT were to announce to the portal before the Bowl game, who do we have at backup? Butters is gone. The only one left (I think) is a walk on. 

If Bo goes down, TT will get in the game.  If he wants to leave after the game, there is still time to find another team.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:46 PM, Jon Sousa said:

If TT were to announce to the portal before the Bowl game, who do we have at backup? Butters is gone. The only one left (I think) is a walk on. 

If Bo goes down, TT will get in the game.  If he wants to leave after the game, there is still time to find another team.

One would think (?) that IF Ty Thompson were going to transfer he might have announced it by now.  However, this 1st window is open till the 18th of Jan. and there's another one after that.  It's sorta coming down to "last man standing" or "last man not in the portal".  The whole thing is frustrating.

So Nix stays. Then Moore goes to UCLA. Not good. But maybe the Uiagalelei Bros. come to Oregon. That could be ok.

Or not, and Nix declares and we get Moore since if it's not LA it's Eugene. Maybe. Or Card, since Oregon's new OC guided him through his football adolescence. But you're only sixteen once, and who really wants to go back there again. Perhaps Thompson stays and learns to read a defense. Or not.

Maybe the QB room is empty and we run a wildcat in 2022. Or start a walk on and run a 22 set all day long. Heck, Oregon State beat the Ducks running that three weeks ago. The WRs all transfer since the offense is all block and no rock.

Or convince Jeff Lockie that he still has a year of eligibility. 

Sheesh...

On 12/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

So Nix stays. Then Moore goes to UCLA. Not good. But maybe the Uiagalelei Bros. come to Oregon. That could be ok.

Or not, and Nix declares and we get Moore since if it's not LA it's Eugene. Maybe. Or Card, since Oregon's new OC guided him through his football adolescence. But you're only sixteen once, and who really wants to go back there again. Perhaps Thompson stays and learns to read a defense. Or not.

Maybe the QB room is empty and we run a wildcat in 2022. Or start a walk on and run a 22 set all day long. Heck, Oregon State beat the Ducks running that three weeks ago. The WRs all transfer since the offense is all block and no rock.

Or convince Jeff Lockie that he still has a year of eligibility. 

Sheesh...

It's fluid, its exciting, its great entertainment.....and Oregon will end up just fine.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Nix staying for one more season would be good, no?  A bird in the hand ....

True, Nix stays=good. No clear succession plan, though=maybe not so good. 

The rest of my observations were deadly serious. Particularly the wildcat and Lockie stuff.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:33 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

No clear succession plan

Yep, in the prior type of thinking we all had.  But this is the new era of QB management--Oregon will be just fine.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Perhaps it's better to get a QB through the Transfer Portal...You have college film to look at abilities...Bigger gamble (unknowns) with a HS recruit

On 12/16/2022 at 6:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep, in the prior type of thinking we all had.  But this is the new era of QB management--Oregon will be just fine.

giphy.gif

I guess it depends on what we mean by "just fine".  Does Oregon get to that next level to compete for and win a National Title, or does "just fine" mean another 9-3 season, getting just oh-so-close to another Conference Title, or ______?   Of course, every Duck fan is hoping for the former and that is a little more uncertain with the transfer portal and NIL policies changing the landscape of college football.  It might work for Oregon, it might make things harder.  But yeah, I think Oregon is too good of a program and too well established to become a cellar dweller ever again like poor Colorado has become.