HawaiiDuck

It's Official - Dante Moore Flipped to UCLA

Like below, I'm sure Dante's flip will work out just fine....

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

My bet is most qb's will transfer before the end of their college eligibility. Why not pick a transfer who has proved himself. The new normal will be picking up a successful qb transfer, if you want to be successful.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:25 PM, LADuck said:

Thinking if I were 17 years old and was offered significantly more $$$ to play at a great university like UCLA in a beautiful sunny climate I am throwing my stuff in a duffel bag and hitting the road to Westwood.

If that's what it came down to then he went to the right school.  Last thing Oregon needs (imo) is to get into a bidding war with a school with the assets and endowments of the likes of UCLA.  Either he wants to be a Duck under Dan Lanning or he wants >$$ to be a Bruin under Chip Kelly.  Good luck to him - cause I think he's going to need it after UCLA makes the big move to the B1G.

I had a feeling from the get-go that this NIL thing was gonna wreck havoc on collegiate sports and I think we're beginning to see that now.  Just the tip of the iceberg.

On 12/20/2022 at 11:44 AM, Mic said:

Well we do know this - it's a whole different brand of football being played in the Midwest than the West coast and big, strong teams can be very hard to beat, esp when playing in their home states in October and November.  Of course, Chip should know all about that.

I think the PAC-12 in recent history has matched up quite well with B1G teams generally speaking.

If you take the Rose Bowl, for example, since 1990 the PAC-12 holds an 14-11 edge over B1G teams during that span.

If you just count the Rose Bowl since 2000, the PAC-12 holds a 10-5 edge over B1G teams.

OBD had major regular season victories over Michigan in the past, recently against tOSU and so on. Wazzu and UW had victories against Wisconsin and Michigan State respectively this past season to name a few.

Of course, we are 0-1 against tOSU in the natty, but to be fair, many of Oregon's skill players were out or otherwise did not play in that game. Oregon still may have lost that game even with everyone playing but at least I would like to think the final score would have been much closer.

The PAC-12 does suffer from a perception problem which is definitely not helped when the few PAC-12 games that viewers in the East Coast watch are Oregon getting dismantled by Georgia 49-3 and then of course, that becomes the overall perception of the conference. As an aside, I feel that Oregon should not have lost by that big a margin - I think our players were just nervous being on the national stage against the defending national champs who are from the "invincible" SEC and got very much intimidated by that.

JMHO

But yeah, I also hope that USC and UCLA regularly get destroyed in the B1G when they move over there lol

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

A team can only have one starting QB.   We got ours.   There are always other great players that will be playing for another team.  I say don't be greedy.   I am not impressed by the character of Moore, who seems to have zero loyalty - flipped from ND and now from UO.  Maybe that's how it is in this day an age, but I still don't like it.  So hope he makes it, but won't be surprised if we see him in the portal in anot-so-distant future.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 12/20/2022 at 12:05 AM, DuckFan93 said:

A team can only have one starting QB.   We got ours.   There are always other great players that will be playing for another team.  I say don't be greedy.   I am not impressed by the character of Moore, who seems to have zero loyalty - flipped from ND and now from UO.  Maybe that's how it is in this day an age, but I still don't like it.  So hope he makes it, but won't be surprised if we see him in the portal in anot-so-distant future.

Hard to tell and I don't want to knock a young man I don't know but he does seem like the type to jump into the Portal if things go south for UCLA. One thing I haven't seen mentioned enough is that players going to UCLA may be doing so because Chip, a former NFL head coach, would have some pretty solid connections to several NFL team organizations.  This is something Dan Lanning would lack because of his youth and non-NFL experience.

After going to UCLA DTR turned into a Pac-12 honorable mention winner. He also became a qb who still threw off his back foot too often and isn't going to get drafted, nor make it in the NFL. I am sure he had a good time going to UCLA, maybe that is what Moore is after?

Chip is a brilliant OC, but he hasn't proven himself a great qb developer. Now if Chip had stolen our next DAT I would be pissed.

I want to see Lanning bring in speed like Chip use to have. That is the secret sauce on offense we are missing.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a fan, I am bummed. But, being fair, every top 5-10 QB knows they are going to get paid and be instant millionaires. If the first year doesn't work then you can transfer to a team that is ready made and only missing a Caleb Williams for a run to the Natty. 

From these kids perspective, it's easy to see that the NIL money is part of the equation now. They may love a school, but they love their bank account more. We as fans have been 'Loyal' for decades. I have to ask, were we this loyal on day 'One' of choosing the Ducks as 'Our Team'? I don't think so. If, on day one, we had a full ride scholarship to Stanford based purely on our SAT scores, would we be willing to chose the Tree over the Duck? Yeah, we would. That's because we hadn't built our loyalty to any school at the time. We were looking for the correct/best path for our future. 

Now, if someone gave me a Scholarship to Stanford based solely on SAT score and was willing to 'Pay' me with NIL as well? What would I do? What would you do?

You are loyal to your family first. They have not donned the Green and Yellow for even one day. Loyalty has not been established for any school. We shouldn't be surprised at all if they pivot direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 8:23 AM, 1Funduck said:

As a fan, I am bummed. But, being fair, every top 5-10 QB knows they are going to get paid and be instant millionaires. If the first year doesn't work then you can transfer to a team that is ready made and only missing a Caleb Williams for a run to the Natty. 

From these kids perspective, it's easy to see that the NIL money is part of the equation now. They may love a school, but they love their bank account more. We as fans have been 'Loyal' for decades. I have to ask, were we this loyal on day 'One' of choosing the Ducks as 'Our Team'? I don't think so. If, on day one, we had a full ride scholarship to Stanford based purely on our SAT scores, would we be willing to chose the Tree over the Duck? Yeah, we would. That's because we hadn't built our loyalty to any school at the time. We were looking for the correct/best path for our future. 

Now, if someone gave me a Scholarship to Stanford based solely on SAT score and was willing to 'Pay' me with NIL as well? What would I do? What would you do?

You are loyal to your family first. They have not donned the Green and Yellow for even one day. Loyalty has not been established for any school. We shouldn't be surprised at all if they pivot direction.

While I agree if I was an engineering student I would have questioned my legacy lean toward the green and yellow, but I wasn't and the choice to be a Duck was in my DNA.

My only concern, right now, is whether Oregon is still a school which develops qb's. If our new OC can develop our qb's then all is good. I would hope most qb recruits would be most concerned with this question.

Chip's record at UCLA with qb's didn't extend from his time at Oregon. He was pretty loyal to DTR, but he didn't develop him into a Heisman winner. 

Best of luck to Moore, but we will move onward, forward and upward!

All we know is Chip will be taking his team to Rutgers and beyond. I'm glad we didn't follow that trail off that cliff.