FishDuck Article

December Is Too Busy and Bowl Season Suffers

David Marsh, A FishDuck writer, shares his thoughts about December and football.   A good read, what do you think?

FISHDUCK.COM

College Football has changed so much in the past decade. In the early 2010s, the value of bowl games was clear for teams and players alike...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I don't think I have read a single article about UNC or the Holliday Bowl. Doesn't really interest me. If I am going to spend time and energy, it will be on recruiting and portal. I don't have time for all of it.

I think the most important part of bowl season is the additional practice for next years players. Of course I will watch but my focus will be on the young guys getting showcased for the first time.

I like watching football. I can watch all day on saturdays. I will watch many bowl games because its football. But most of it is meaningless exhibition. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Great points to ponder David! I agree these 4 issues have turned into making bowl games less important.  I also agree with your last comment.

"Just a glorified scrimmage and not the adequate conclusion to a season that it should be."

But I will be watching the Holiday Bowl.  Love my Ducks!

On 12/24/2022 at 6:36 AM, Smith72 said:

these 4 issues have turned into making bowl games less important.

I think the bowl season lost much of its luster when there became soooo many bowls.  Is 42 the number?

Then, it used to be 6 wins was a requirement.  Well, that is no longer the case when there aren't enough teams with 6 W's.

Also, a 6 and 6 team playing a 6 and 6 team means you are watching a game wherein one of the teams will have a losing record.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the student-ATHLETES getting to play and a Santa's bag of swag for their efforts.  I just get to vote along with the empty seats and not watch if I don't want to.

Oh, and let's not forget the hypocrisy of the bowl committee salaries taking a HUGE bite out of the money earmarked for the charities they "support" . . .

Orange Bowl:

ASSISTANTSHIP PROGRAM =$156,207

MIAMI HOST COMMITTEE ASSISTANTSHIP PROGRAM = $55,602

Account Executive, Corporate & Premium Sales =$96,908

Account Executive, Member & Client Services =$168,688

Account Executive, Partnership Sales = $108,216

Account Executive, Ticket Sales =$96,908

Coordinator, CRM & Data Analytics = $91,829

Just saying, pretty sure those aren't 40 hour a week, 52 weeks a year jobs.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bowl games always seemed more for the players than fans. Most fans don't travel to bowl games so to me it's about the players hard work being rewarded. Yes the portal/opt out and coaches leaving has taken the luster out of bowl season. 

But many times the games are still be fun to watch. It's also important to remember that at the end of the year when the media tally's up the total W/L for each conference that it's probably all a moot point because too many teams are not at full strength.

So if your teams conference sucked during bowl season take it with a grain of salt.

I'm actually looking forward to the game. I guess that's what happens when you're addicted to Quack.

• Thumbs Up 2

Steven A. makes a good point about too many, as it used to be special going to a bowl.  The next three games are...

San Diego State vs. Middle Tennessee
Bowling Green vs. New Mexico State
Buffalo vs. Georgia Southern

Good grief!  Would anyone want to watch those even as non-conference games in September?  (Yeech)

Bowls are going as well as....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/24/2022 at 7:39 AM, Steven A said:

Oh, and let's not forget the hypocrisy of the bowl committee salaries taking a HUGE bite out of the money earmarked for the charities they "support" . . .

Orange Bowl:

ASSISTANTSHIP PROGRAM =$156,207

MIAMI HOST COMMITTEE ASSISTANTSHIP PROGRAM = $55,602

Account Executive, Corporate & Premium Sales =$96,908

Account Executive, Member & Client Services =$168,688

Account Executive, Partnership Sales = $108,216

Account Executive, Ticket Sales =$96,908

Coordinator, CRM & Data Analytics = $91,829

Just saying, pretty sure those aren't 40 hour a week, 52 weeks a year jobs.

Yikes!  I hadn't seen those number before, that is absurd. 

Don't know if it still happens but bowls used to send "representatives" to games during the regular season which I'm certain were all expenses paid.  What a thankless job, fly around the country to watch college football and be hosted in the press box.

• Yikes! 1

Good article, David. As one who searches for articles for OBDF, the last two to three weeks have been dedicated to almost all recruiting and transfer portal. There has been VERY LITTLE written about the Duck's participation in the Holiday Bowl.  We are only 4 days away from the Bowl game and I have only been able to post 11 articles (not including tweets) about our participation in this bowl game, all from local writers. In comparison, that is a smaller number than for a regular (not big opponent) game during the season. For all the reasons mentioned in the article, there is very little interest shown for this Holiday Bowl game.

• Applause 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Steven A. makes a good point about too many, as it used to be special going to a bowl.  The next three games are...

San Diego State vs. Middle Tennessee
Bowling Green vs. New Mexico State
Buffalo vs. Georgia Southern

Good grief!  Would anyone want to watch those even as non-conference games in September?  (Yeech)

Bowls are going as well as....

Bowl games? What bowl games?

On 12/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, Desert Duck said:

Bowl games? What bowl games?

I have committed the gravest of Duck fan sins... I scheduled something else that over laps with the Duck game. 

However... It is virtual and I am just putting people on zoom in the correct breakout rooms. So I'll still be watching the game. 

But still... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't really be opposed to moving the signing date to early January, I do wonder if we don't still need two signing periods, since it allows teams to adjust if they don't get certain players they thought they had in the bag and then they suffer a late decommitment. 

Bowl games are a mixed bag, some are meaningless to the fans, players, even coaches (other than practice time), others though can be used as fuel for the future, specifically those teams who have been bad for a number of years.  Momentum into the next season can be a thing for some programs.  

Oregon this year is a in a weird position for it's bowl game, I'm sure a lot of the program is disappointed to be playing in the Holiday bowl when they thought they would be playing in the Rose Bowl or even the CFP, on the other hand it also represents a chance to end Lanning's first season on a positive note in front of a national audience.  Historically the Holiday Bowl has been pretty competitive for the teams that play in it.