FishDuck Article

2022 Holiday Bowl: The Luck of Duck Comes From Pluck

Mr. FishDuck shares his thoughts on the Holiday Bowl victory.  A last second comeback for Duck fans to celebrate.

FISHDUCK.COM

It was fitting that Oregon came back to win in the final seconds of the 2022 Holiday Bowl continuing the breathless endings of the final...

• Whew! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great recap Charles. I'm not surprised there was a drop off in the offensive production. With the ASU coach gone and Bo still not 100% that's what I expected. 

My interest in this game was on the defense. Anyone who's read my boring posts knows how I've felt about Lupoi's defense all year. They've been B-A-D. The first half didn't change those feelings. Not getting off the field on 3rd OR 4th down, giving up 5-7 yard runs up the middle on 1st down, the secondary ugh. I almost turned the game off.

However, to me at least, the second half brought little glimmers of hope that I started feeling in the Utah game. The defense was making plays, getting off the field, not giving up stupid penalties or big gains and actually kept Oregon in the game. I know there is still a lot to work on but maybe just maybe Lupoi and Co are figuring it out.

I've said it all year, if the Ducks had an average defense this year they would be playing this weekend. It is what it is but I'm hopeful again that next year we will see a big improvement on the defensive side.

Go Ducks

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Charles!  Great game summary.  The defense did surprise me in the second half; improving enough to keep us in the game.  Bridges, I think, is the most improved player on the defense.  Bodes well for next year.

But you hit the nail on the head with, "Yet when the game was on the line–Bo made the throws." Yes, Bo's leadership and determination was the difference.  We Duck fans are blessed with an outstanding quarterback!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

I couldn’t agree more with 12Duck72, we all need to give Lanning and his staff some grace this year. They were expected to make chicken salad out of chicken s***. (Apologizes Mr. FishDuck, had to be said)

Lanning and his staff had so much to do in such a small window. They also had very few of the players they wanted / needed to run their style of football.

I have great expectations for next year and think great times are ahead. I was lucky enough to chat with Mr. FishDuck this past weekend and was excited to hear his thoughts and insights on what’s being built here at Oregon.

I will say we have been blessed in the fact each time we have changed HCs it’s been an upgrade. One may have fallen on his face but good things even came from that.

Looking forward to continued interactions with all of you on the boards! I can’t wait for spring ball! 

God Bless and Go Ducks!

Edited by TXDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

When the game was on the line, BUCKY grabbed, er... snatched the balls on ST and showed elusive toughness and determination on special teams plays that Duck fans had been begging for, delivering fans a level of anticipation and hope that fair catches can never provide.

• Like 2

I have to give props to McCormick's block, where he took out two guys, for Bucky's big run, wow! Bassa also played well, and made some nice tackles. I just love the worker bees, not just those who get all the glory. Great article Charles and analysis earlier by Dazed.

I would add that it wasn't so much the wrong players Lanning had to work with. There was and is talent on the Duck side of the ball, no question. I think the problem with the Ducks this season was twofold. One Lanning was figuring out how to coach. When and how does he step in and take over from an OC, or DC. 

Lanning has an accelerant type of personality. If somebody has an idea he makes it bigger, and most often better. The problem on offense is he needed to deaccelerate some of the play calling. On defense he needed to step in, and still needs to step in and better guide what is on the field. That will be the test over the offseason, can he be a more active CEO on the defensive side of the ball.

We had a coach who was the antithesis of this last time so this leads us to the second problem. The culture which was set by MariØ didn't work for how Lanning coaches. He wants guys to get better everyday, not just think they are better after arriving at Oregon. The fill the sleeve mentality wasn't a functional goal setting process. Lanning is all about improving incrementally and strategically.

I think we will see improvement in both areas. We are already seeing turnover of players and some guys totally buying in. The test will be can Lanning turn the defense around. I have faith, and this will be the most exciting offseason development.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great review. I see one concerning common denominator for UO's last four games (UW, UU, OSU, NC). In all four games, the Ducks looked like the superior team and took control of all four games.

Also in all four games, one or more bizarre you'll never see that again type of plays happened against the Ducks. After said plays in all four games, the Ducks lost confidence and found themselves in tight battles.

I'd say, you could add the UGA game to this list because after the two early interceptions, the Ducks lost confidence that never came back and the game got away from them quickly.

This is where real time leadership needs to kick in. I think this is where Lanning has the most room for growth as a coach. I think Lanning will process his own short comings in these situations, have talks with Coach Smart on these topics and return next year better as an in game leader of the team.

I've always loved the Mike Tyson quote about everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. I think that is the biggest factor this brilliant first time head coach faced this year.

This year he seemed to try to get momentum back with risky gambles on forth down and onside kicks. Hopefully next year we'll see better in game adjustments on both sides of the ball and less panic and wild gambles in those situations.

I'm already looking forward to the Spring game. I think Lanning will get this head coaching thing figured out sooner than later and playoff runs will be returning for the Ducks.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, Haywarduck said:

I have to give props to McCormick's block, where he took out two guys, for Bucky's big run, wow!

That was an insane play... just over the top impressive. He totally manhandled both of those NC defenders, which allowed Bucky to do Bucky... and be off to the races.

That's a huge highlight film moment that deserves some huge props. 

And I think your Lanning comments are spot on.

Ps. Bucky was obviously lights out last night too. Wowzaa! Plus, Bucky's post game interview was great as he started out praising his O-line.

O-line studs rarely get the props they so greatly deserve, and when their backs give them the love and credit they deserve, for some reason, holes open up just a tad bit wider too 😉

It's great to see a fabulous athlete like Bucky pull the attention off of himself, and shine a huge light onto the guys in the trenches.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/29/2022 at 7:51 AM, Desert Duck said:

It's great to see a fabulous athlete like Bucky pull the attention off of himself, and shine a huge light onto the guys in the trenches.

He had kind comments for Coach Locklyn, and said that he was tough, but he appreciated it.  (Whew!) 

Great to see running backs give credit elsewhere, as they usually make a big deal out of running through a gap created by someone else...and do most of the celebrating.  That said, his moves on the long TD run were crazy.

Junior Adams, Locklyn and Irving_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/29/2022 at 4:47 AM, 12Duck72 said:

However, to me at least, the second half brought little glimmers of hope that I started feeling in the Utah game. The defense was making plays, getting off the field, not giving up stupid penalties or big gains and actually kept Oregon in the game. I know there is still a lot to work on but maybe just maybe Lupoi and Co are figuring it out.

I was very impressed with Funa and Brown last night. They both played lights out. I also was impressed at how disciplined the entire defense played. No stupid penalties. The defense will be better next year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Has anyone else noticed that the Ducks always play poorly on sod? They can't go as fast as they want to, especially after the ground gets torn up.