FishDuck Article

What to Expect from a Will Stein Lead Ducks Offense

Many are wondering just what the Oregon Ducks offense may look like under new offensive coordinator, Will Stein. Learn what Coach Boles is thinking in his initial impressions...

FISHDUCK.COM

Many are wondering just what the Oregon Ducks offense may look like under new offensive coordinator, Will Stein. Honestly, probably not all that different than...
  • Thanks 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

There is many good points made in this analysis, but the one below stands out as crucial to me...

"Coach Stein does use a version of the alignment where the running back is a little closer to the line of scrimmage. He places his QB at a five-yard depth, and the RB at a two-yard depth behind him. This allows the mesh to hit quicker, and ultimately the play to hit quicker."

This, (above) to me, is going to make the Zone Reads go much better and the read-keys of the plays for the defense a little harder, if not similar to what we have with the Shotgun.

Thanks to Coach Boles for the time to share this with us!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Heavy use of a slot receiver may be a reason Bo's bro chose Oregon. At 5'10" and 150lbs with speed... that has SLOT written all over it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/30/2022 at 1:08 PM, DUCati855 said:

Heavy use of a slot receiver may be a reason Bo's bro chose Oregon. At 5'10" and 150lbs with speed... that has SLOT written all over it.

That could be a possibility, but something also happened during the bowl game that made me think. 

Whittington got some time in the slot. I wonder if that’s a possibility with the amount of quality depth that RB position has. A lot of what the slot is asked to do in the Stein system would suit a player with RB skills.

Whittington will more than likely stay at RB, but it did make me wonder. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:50 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Whittington got some time in the slot. I wonder if that’s a possibility with the amount of quality depth that RB position has. A lot of what the slot is asked to do in the Stein system would suit a player with RB skills.

As I recall, Noah Whittington was originally recruited to Western Kentucky as a 2-Star receiver....

Noah Whittington_Eugene JohnsonWP.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/30/2022 at 10:50 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Since Whittingham is a Locklyn guy I feel he'll stay in the running back room. But, he will likely get some reps in the slot. So many weapons... so much fun!

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article... A couple thoughts that I'm really excited about. 

1. The pistol plays on display in the article were VASTLY different from what we saw under Cristobal. Under Cristobal if it was a pistol play it was going to be a run into the A-gap 99% of the time and I'm really not exaggerating here. If you were to go back and look you would see the pistol used exclusively for running or almost exclusively for a large portion of it's use... The shot-gun would mostly be a pass play where the runningback would be used for blocking. 

2. I could see Whittington and Irving being on the field at the same time with Stein as both can catch the ball and slide into the slot position and then slide into a 20 or 21 personell. That would be super deadly and really bring back some DAT or Charles Nelson vibes to the offense. 

3. The tempo would be amazing to see brought back. Doesn't need to be all the time but more would be nice. We saw what happened in the Holiday Bowl when the Ducks played with Tempo... The ripped apart the opposing defense and scored points and when we slowed down we got into trouble. 

However, the game has changed and pure tempo doesn't work like it used to. Also the best teams in college football are the ones who have a power run game they can lean on to control the clock. The Oregon of the Kelly-Helfrich era really struggled to bleed the clock because the Ducks couldn't play slow, in part because they used tempo as a strategy to give them the edge over those slower and bigger defensive linemen. Oregon has the bigger linemen now and can play slower. 

But tempo is still super super important and I would love to see more of it. 

Thanks coach for the article and I am fealling super excited for next season! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, David Marsh said:

Under Cristobal if it was a pistol play it was going to be a run into the A-gap 99% of the time

Either that or it was a stretch play to the outside...or a pass play.  So the play-keys for the defense were easy when this few of plays were run.

You are right in that this is going to be fun to watch and learn from.

Mr. FishDuck

I forget the name, but a 2023 4☆ arhelete is making a visit next month. He is 6'5" but a speedster. He wants to run track so wants to be a TE so as not to put on too much more weight. He is 225 lb now.

Can you picture the mismatch if he played some at the slot! Length and speed!

But Hutson would be amazing too, and maybe Bo's brother.

Sounds fun to watch.

Thanks coach Boles.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, DanLduck said:

I forget the name, but a 2023 4☆ athlete is making a visit next month. He is 6'5" but a speedster. He wants to run track so wants to be a TE so as not to put on too much more weight. He is 225 lb now.

FishDuck article about him on Saturday....

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, DanLduck said:

I forget the name, but a 2023 4☆ arhelete is making a visit next month. He is 6'5" but a speedster. He wants to run track so wants to be a TE so as not to put on too much more weight. He is 225 lb now.

Can you picture the mismatch if he played some at the slot! Length and speed!

But Hutson would be amazing too, and maybe Bo's brother.

Sounds fun to watch.

Thanks coach Boles.

Harbor? I could have swore he was a 5-star, but he’s a freakish athlete either way. It’d be a nice get for Oregon. 

The TE does man one of the slots in their 10-personnel look and 11 when there are two out there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Harbor an outstanding football player or a freakish athlete who happens to play football because he is really to big to be a track sprinter?  I'm not talented enough to evaluate film highlights.