Pennsylvania Duck

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey Advocates End of Early Signing Period

Speaking with Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic, Sankey explained that he believes coaches simply have too much on their plate in December.

“We’re crushing coaches in December,” Sankey told Auerbach, in advance of the national championship game. “We’re going to add Playoff games (in December). We have to change early signing.”

Sankey said, via Auerbach. “And what have we done? We accelerated coaching transition. And you look at the creation of the early signing period, it’s very clear that’s changed things, and I’ve talked with ADs who say they have to have coaches hired by late November, early December.”

What do you think? Are you for changes to when early signing period takes place or even doing away with it?

I agree!

FISHDUCK.COM

This year it has become abundantly clear just how broken the College Football post-season is. Between the coaching carousel...

FISHDUCK.COM

College Football has changed so much in the past decade. In the early 2010s, the value of bowl games was clear for teams and...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

About time.

Yep, it's gotta change. The early-signing period, the portal opening, assistant and head coaching changes, bowl game prep...it's nuts and it's too much to do well.

NCAA football is chaotic because the ncaa has lost control of the situation. A bad experiment gotten worse with obviously no guidance and rules being broken continually. 

The whole reason why things are chaotic is because they have the early signing period before the season is over.  If we want to try and stop schools from firing coaches during the season or coaches moving in the middle of the season, move the date into January. 

Pac 12 shoots itself in the foot because two of their bowl games (Las Vegas and the LA Bowl) are on the 1st Saturday (3rd Saturday of December) of bowl season.  I think early signing period for football is always the 3rd Wednesday of December.

Push NLI into January and only the top teams feel the heat of early NLI.  Seems like a great way to try and get parity into football.

Actually, many coaches championed advent of an early signing period.  One big advantage is that it gives eligible incoming recruits the option of enrolling early and actually participating in practices for a team's upcoming bowl game, thus getting a big jump on preparation for the following freshman year. Georgia's All-American tight end Brock  Bowers credits the early start for the awesome freshman year he subsequently posted in which he led the Dawgs in receiving in 2021. 

Most of the big-time coaches love wrapping up the majority of their classes early. You won't see Kirby Smart or Nick Saban (nor I suspect Dan Lanning) complaining about early signing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coaches already get paid way too much (like CEO's). But that is what the market will bear. Don't feel sorry for them. As long as signees can enroll in winter terms or quarters I don't care what date is chosen. I would prefer it if the bulk of the incoming players already have many months under their belts before the Spring Game. They should be competing for starting spots, having been enrolled in the school for a while and hitting the pavement already.  So, basically players need to be signed at some point in December. Not sure how the new Playoff situation will affect the calendar, though.