Pennsylvania Duck

Major Takeaways from Oregon's Strong Close to 2023 Recruiting Class

The 2023 recruiting cycle has officially come to a close for the Oregon Ducks, and Dan Lanning made sure that his squad finished on a high note with the addition of 4-star cornerback Rodrick Pleasant.

Here are some of the biggest takeaways from Wednesday’s National Signing Day for the Ducks:

• -- Recruiting is Not for the Faint of Heart
  • -- Dan Lanning > Lincoln Riley... So Far...
  • -- Atop the Pac-12 Mountaintop
  • -- Always the Bridesmaid...
  • -- Adrian Klemm may be Biggest Win of the Day
  • -- Distance is a Hurdle Oregon Will Need to Overcome
  • -- Lanning Just Missed Out on History

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon sits atop the Pac-12 for a fifth-straight year, and Dan Lanning’s knack for stealing players away from USC in California...

The article below explains one of the take-aways above...about Lanning just missing history.

Where the Ducks' 2023 recruiting class compares to the best in Oregon history

To get a better feel for how this 2023 class compares to the best recruiting classes in Oregon history,

here are the top-10 ranked classes that Eugene has ever seen:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With the addition of 4-star Rodrick Pleasant, Oregon’s class ranks No. 8 in the 2023 cycle. Where does that compare to the best in...

The amazing thing is to look at the top player from each of the top 10 classes, and how he turned out...

#10:  5-star OT Josh Conerly (TBD, but looks promising)

#9:  5-star Edge Canton Kaumatule (did nothing then took medical retirement)

#8:  5-star RB Lache Seastrunk (Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone?)

#7:  5-star DL Arik Armstead (worked out well enough to be a 1st rounder in the NFL draft)

#6:  4-star CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (awesome player for the Ducks but only a 7th rounder after a devastating knee injury)

#5:  5-star LB Justin Flowe (couldn't stay healthy, then left)

#4:  4-star OT Penei Sewell (I'd say this one worked out darn well)

#3:  5-star Edge Kayvon Thibodeaux (good enough to be the #5 pick, but always seemed like there could have been more on the field)

#2:  5-star WR Jurrion Dickey (TBD)

#1:  4-star OT Kingsley Suamataia (left about as soon as he could)

So out of 10 #1 recruits, including 7 who were five stars, I'd say 2 are TBD, 3 ended up as 1st round draft choices, 1 was a great player for us but got hurt at the very end, and 4 did nothing/next to nothing.

So for all the excitement about Dickey, and all the disappointment about Harbor, keep this in mind...

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

It ain't done until Duce is signed. I wonder where that would put this class!

And in this day and age, it isn't ever over for the coaches and support staff.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

It ain't done until Duce is signed. I wonder where that would put this class!

I believe he is holding out to see his potential in the MLB Draft.  If that goes well--he may never play football.  IMHO...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

You will note in the second article about where this class ranks....that the No. 1 class by Cristobal was done after he had been here three years, with time to build relationships with recruits.  The No. 2 class by Lanning was done after only one full year on the job.

To equate things with Cristobal--the No. 3 class or Cristobal's 2019 class (No. 3) would be a first-year-HC-to-first-year-HC proper comparison, and Lanning wins for a first year coach as I reported before.

I believe in three years--Lanning will break the recruiting record.  But more important--he will develop that talent better IMHO.

Dan Lanning by Pac12 Video.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/2/2023 at 9:53 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I believe he is holding out to see his potential in the MLB Draft.  If that goes well--he may never play football.  IMHO...

Can’t say I blame him. Less chance of serious injury and much more money. If I was a world class athlete with a choice I’d take baseball. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be inclined to agree that keeping Klemm on staff might have been the biggest win.  He's such a great recruiter and development coach, it would've been a pretty big hit to Oregon if he had left.

• Thanks 1

I agee that keeping Klemm was big time for Coach Lanning and the Ducks 

The time may be rapidly approaching when keeping top assistant coaches will require paying them almost as much as their head coach. Especially those who can coach and recruit at the highest levels.

Phil may have to open his wallet even more to hold this staff together thru the next 3 or 4 years to lay the foundation for Natty's.

Is Oregon Finished Recruiting in the 2023 Class?

Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle High School tight end Duce Robinson is now the top uncommitted and unsigned recruit in the country. Ranked No. 1 at his position and No. 17 overall, he has his pick of any school.

He has 28 reported offers but it's believed that he's strongly considering Georgia, Texas, USC, Alabama and Oregon. Robinson has taken official visits to each of those schools, with the exception of Oregon. Which is why it's so interesting that he didn't sign during the early signing period or on National Signing Day. The towering tight end choosing to extend his recruitment past traditional deadlines could be just what the doctor ordered for the Ducks.

6c091ad6-aebe-4977-a3b8-b00442292f68

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article272080442.html#storylink=rss

"NSD 2023: Oregon a Recruiting Heavyweight in Southern California"

"The Ducks have proven they have legitimate pull in both USC and UCLA's backyard. Oregon just wrapped up the 2023 recruiting cycle following a small but eventful National Signing Day. The Ducks finished with the No. 8 recruiting class in the country according to the 247Sports composite. From Washington to Florida, the Ducks got it done with recruits from across the country. One of the biggest, if not the biggest, states that Oregon needed to dominate on the trail was California."

83dfb51c-7ccc-4678-b576-ece80b37e4b0

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article272051782.html#storylink=rss