NJDuck

Oregon Ducks Offer Alabama 8th Grade Quarterback who Led HS Team to 7A State Title

Will Stein see's this kid is special.

Class of 2027 quarterback Trent Seaborn started as a varsity quarterback while still in middle school

Trent Seaborn is only an eighth grader at Thompson Middle School (Alabama), but his high school football resume is already the stuff of legend.

Last fall, the 6-foot, 178-pound signal-caller played up at the high school level, won the starting job on varsity and led Thompson High School to an Alabama class 7A state championship, throwing for 201 yards and five touchdowns in the title game. 

On Wednesday, the dynamic middle schooler picked up a scholarship offer from the Oregon Ducks — and immediately expressed both excitement about the rich quarterback tradition of the program and an eagerness to visit Eugene.

1500x500kid

https://news.scorebooklive.com/recruiting/2023/03/01/oregon-ducks-offer-alabama-8th-grade-quarterback-who-led-hs-team-to-7a-state-title

• Wow 1

So....we are talking about 13 years old?  Is it possible that he is peaking early in terms of athletic talent?

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/2/2023 at 12:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So....we are talking about 13 years old?  Is it possible that he is peaking early in terms of athletic talent?

giphy.gif

Frankly, I think this is sick and sickening. No wonder kids come out of HS as hat-shifting prima donnas.

What happens come the next signing day when his parents or guardians sign an LOI on this kid's behalf?  

Does Oregon need this kind of publicity? This is straight out of the Lane Kiffin playbook.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Is it possible that he is peaking early in terms of athletic talent?

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

Huntington Beach's Nick Pratto has become a Little League hero after knocking in the game-winning single in the bottom of the sixth inning on Sunday in California's 2-1 win over Japan in the Little...

On 3/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Frankly, I think this is sick and sickening.

The junior hockey leagues are the two feeder leagues for the NHL in North America.

There are two junior hockey leagues, the United States Hockey League (USHL) and the Canadian Hockey League (CHL). The Portland Winterhawks are in the Western Division for the CHL, for reference. 

The age range for players is 15-20 years-old. Players can get an exemption to play at 21, but that's rare. 15 year-old players have to get an exemption, and that's more common.

If you live in the US or Canada and you turn 21 without being drafted to the NFL- you are essentially washed up if you didn't go the college route. The 15, 16, and some 17 year-olds live with host families in the cities where they are signed with their junior team- and yes, a 16 year-old kid can be traded to a different city.

So, what's so special about a 6' tall, 180 lb 14 year-old American QB  (he's not 13 anymore)? If hockey players are hitting hard, and getting hit hard at age 15- and not even living with their parents, this kid can handle a recruitment letter. 

Junior hockey young teens are a phone call away from playing in the NHL! Just some perspective.

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/2/2023 at 5:06 PM, 2002duck said:

The junior hockey leagues are the two feeder leagues for the NHL in North America.

There are two junior hockey leagues, the United States Hockey League (USHL) and the Canadian Hockey League (CHL). The Portland Winterhawks are in the Western Division for the CHL, for reference. 

The age range for players is 15-20 years-old. Players can get an exemption to play at 21, but that's rare. 15 year-old players have to get an exemption, and that's more common.

If you live in the US or Canada and you turn 21 without being drafted to the NFL- you are essentially washed up if you didn't go the college route. The 15, 16, and some 17 year-olds live with host families in the cities where they are signed with their junior team- and yes, a 16 year-old kid can be traded to a different city.

So, what's so special about a 6' tall, 180 lb 14 year-old American QB  (he's not 13 anymore)? If hockey players are hitting hard, and getting hit hard at age 15- and not even living with their parents, this kid can handle a recruitment letter. 

Junior hockey young teens are a phone call away from playing in the NHL! Just some perspective.

I know whereof you speak. Back in the day, I missed the bus.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Frankly, I think this is sick and sickening. No wonder kids come out of HS as hat-shifting prima donnas.

What happens come the next signing day when his parents or guardians sign an LOI on this kid's behalf?  

Does Oregon need this kind of publicity? This is straight out of the Lane Kiffin playbook.

I don't think you can sign an LOI until you are a senior?

• Thumbs Up 1

Offer is 100% different than signing.  No player can sign anything until their senior year.  No school is ever obligated to actually give a player offered a scholarship.  Obviously, if any school did that often enough, no high school players would sign.

I only wish the kid had said he looks forward to recruitment when he is a junior. For now he has baseball in the spring, basketball in the winter, and of course football in the fall. He also likes hanging out with his friends. Instead he is talking about training with his football team, sounds like, year round. 

He probably has trainers, camps, and will suffer overuse injuries and be burned out by the time he hits his sophomore year. By senior year he will be a mess, and we will read about what went wrong.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have seen this play out too many times with the way sports are promoted to our young. Identify early, specialize, and work toward one thing while young. For every one young kid it works out for there are hundreds whose body and young mind can't handle that kind of pressure and activity.

We then repeatedly see the under recruited become stars. I only hope we continue to dig in the weeds, and find the next Justin, or Marcus who haven't been to all the camps, and have all the stars. We need to find the players who have it, not necessarily the ones who have been told they are it since way too young.

• Thumbs Up 1

The NY Times just had a good article on hoops phenom Emoni Bates and his fall from "the next LaBron" to "maybe he will be drafted".  Echo's much of what was said above.

They allow a certain number of free articles each month so it might not be behind a paywall.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Bates was on a magazine cover at 15. He was playing Division I college basketball at 17. Now he’s 19, his college career may be over, and N.B.A. success is anything but guaranteed.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

I only wish the kid had said he looks forward to recruitment when he is a junior. For now he has baseball in the spring, basketball in the winter, and of course football in the fall. He also likes hanging out with his friends. Instead he is talking about training with his football team, sounds like, year round. 

He probably has trainers, camps, and will suffer overuse injuries and be burned out by the time he hits his sophomore year. By senior year he will be a mess, and we will read about what went wrong.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have seen this play out too many times with the way sports are promoted to our young. Identify early, specialize, and work toward one thing while young. For every one young kid it works out for there are hundreds whose body and young mind can't handle that kind of pressure and activity.

We then repeatedly see the under recruited become stars. I only hope we continue to dig in the weeds, and find the next Justin, or Marcus who haven't been to all the camps, and have all the stars. We need to find the players who have it, not necessarily the ones who have been told they are it since way too young.

The two QBs who started in the Super Bowl both played a lot of baseball.

I coach in high school and there are many things that very frustrating to deal with in the ever changing nature of sports, one of these is the specialization of young athletes.  So many of these kids lose out on skills and experiences that will make them a better athlete, better teammate, better person by playing multiple sports.  From my experience basketball and soccer are the biggest culprits of this which is mostly because of the club nature of these sports.  

It's important to learn how to not simply be the best player on the team at all times, learn new footwork, new ways of looking at the game, working with new players, everything that goes into being a well rounded player/person.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2