Haywarduck

Two Things To Watch This Spring

To me who are going to be 'the guys' are the best ponder points of the spring. To reach the programs potential guys are going to have to step up. Which of the players will become the biggest difference makers. Which guys will seize that opportunity? The other element is which freshman are going to begin to wedge themselves into Oregon legendary status?

Maybe the most interesting thing to see which freshmen have the it factor. As Charles likes to say, greatness reveals itself early. Whether it is rumblings from the practice squad like we have heard from in the past, or maybe someones prodigiousness rears it amazing head in the spring game, I want to know. This is Lanning's first class that is full of guys he wanted. Who is going to provide the new culture leadership, and who can make the difference on the field right away?

Probably most important, right away, is who is going to be the Nix, Gonzales type of transfer? On defense we don't just need the 1st round talent, but a leader. Last season Nix provided that leadership, Gonzo only brought crazy talent. Can we see someone take over the expectations on the field and drive us to an elite defense? 

The last group that needs to develop is the special teams. I look for an influx of speed, size and strength on special teams. Guys like Devon Jackson, sub 11second 100 guy, will inflict their will on this group now that their redshirt is over. A few guys will earn a starting role in the future by becoming special on special teams. 

Mostly it is just going to be exciting to see Lanning teams emerge in this transition year. We are transitioning from the previous coaches guys to a Lanning led team. What young guys, transfers, and already entrenched guys are going to become the face of the Lanning program. Nix will certainly be this years face of the program, but I look for guys to begin to cast some big shadows if not outright oversized impacts on the program this year.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Great take. First, I want to see no potential starters injured in spring ball (duh.)

2nd, totally agree D and special teams must improve. Something on the D-side of the ball was missing last year. I hope in the 2nd season of Lanning guys on D will 'get' Lanning's system and play to their potential. Thanks for suiting up for Oregon but Sewell seemed to be often missing in action last season. 

3rd, It would help the cause to find a quality TE out of the portal. The 2 TEs portaling out respectively to Miami and USC hurt the depth of the TE room. Nix needs an athletic safety valve TE; especially with 4 new starters on the OL.

Thanks again for the great take.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to see an improved Ty Thompson. Everything else will sort itself out as the season progresses. But if Bo gets hurt it won't matter how well the rest of the team improves if Ty can't move the ball. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Jon Joseph said:

3rd, It would help the cause to find a quality TE out of the portal. The 2 TEs portaling out respectively to Miami and USC hurt the depth of the TE room. Nix needs an athletic safety valve TE; especially with 4 new starters on the OL.

We are now on Duce's radar, warm on the watch front, where we use to be off the chart. Anyone have any news on a visit, just saying, I wouldn't count the Lanning charm out. The position is WIDE open.

His signing date April 1st, could Oregon be the joker in the deck?

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Lanning's culture is definitely taking hold.   Various sources have indicated that with the exception of one player( I honestly don't know who but could venture a guess) there was no disappointment on the part of the coaches regarding the departure of many of the players who hit the transfer portal.  According to some, there were a few players last year who had not bought in for whatever reason and wanted to do their own thing on the field. Fact or fiction, hard to say but at the same time not out of the realm of possibility.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2023 at 10:43 AM, Haywarduck said:

We are now on Duce's radar, warm on the watch front, where we use to be off the chart. Anyone have any news on a visit, just saying, I wouldn't count the Lanning charm out. The position is WIDE open.

His signing date April 1st, could Oregon be the joker in the deck?

On 3/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. First, I want to see no potential starters injured in spring ball (duh.)

2nd, totally agree D and special teams must improve. Something on the D-side of the ball was missing last year. I hope in the 2nd season of Lanning guys on D will 'get' Lanning's system and play to their potential. Thanks for suiting up for Oregon but Sewell seemed to be often missing in action last season. 

Thanks again for the great take.

Don't you mean UCLA as that is where Mototavo transferred if I remember correctly. 

1) I would like to see Steins offense take root quickly.

2) I want a true leader (both vocally and physically) on defense to manifest himself.

3) and... I NEED to see constant QB pressures and sacks.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:51 AM, cartm25 said:

In an earlier post, on a hunch (i.e., no data), I claimed that Aliotti had more "havoc"-creating defenses.

Had to check the data, and it did not disappoint.

** Total sacks were a mixed bag over the years, but Aliotti defenses could sure generate turnovers. Look at all that green under "Total Turnovers" in the Aliotti era:

image.png.347c1b00edb5c03aec87fc5d51fab949.png

Interesting data, thanks.

Wish there was an easy way to determine how many possessions an opposing offense had.  More possessions, and the need to put up at least 40 points, undoubtedly led to our opponent taking greater risks on offense when Chip Kelly walked the sidelines.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would like the returning players and coaches, who have a season under their belt in DL's system, lead the new or incoming players into the system. 

They are all part of DL''s culture and can and should lead by example. Hopefully, that culture's end goal is a National Champuonship for the Ducks.

The future is now, its today.Having the opportunity to play on Sunday means being your A+ game to practice, today. And everyday.

GO DUCKS........

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, Augduck said:

Don't you mean UCLA as that is where Mototavo transferred if I remember correctly. 

Yes. Thanks for the correction.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

Maybe the most interesting thing to see which freshmen have the it factor. As Charles likes to say, greatness reveals itself early.

Good thoughts. While I agree that the priority here is to keep a finger on the Lanning culture change pulse which is best revealed by the early buy-in of his own recruits, I would also recommend keeping an eye on the development of below the radar seniors - the guys who’ve been grinding it out their entire Duck careers, and now see the chance to realize their own potential. My model for that player will always be Michael Clay.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 3/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, McDuck said:

Interesting data, thanks.

Wish there was an easy way to determine how many possessions an opposing offense had.  More possessions, and the need to put up at least 40 points, undoubtedly led to our opponent taking greater risks on offense when Chip Kelly walked the sidelines.

FYI, Texas Tech had the most plays from scrimmage in 2022. Search plays per scrimmage and the entire list of P5 and G5 programs # of plays run in 2022 should pop up. I believe this information is on the ESPN website.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fascinating, I want you on my trivia team.  Just glancing at the date I'm shocked at the 2019 defensive numbers.  Decent but not great number of takeaways but they only surrendered 231 points over 14 games!  They held six teams to single digits, five in a row.  I guess Andy Avalos was better than I remember.

• Thumbs Up 1