Jon Joseph

PAC-10 New Media Deal - Damn the Doubters and Take Heart

It is frustrating as an Oregon fan to suffer all the slings and arrows being aimed at the Pac-10 and its failure to complete as of yet, a new media deal.

But let's not forget that 45% of the conference games last season were broadcast on the Pac-12 Network. A network with 13M subscribers and a network not available in many parts of the US of A.

And the conference commissioner was stuck with this loser of a network and stuck with FOX leading the LA schools to the B1G. Stuck with being lied to by Kevin Warren, the B1G, Carol Folt, and drag-along UCLA.

I do not see a streaming component or a partnership with CW and ION as being any less injurious to the conference as was Larry's Lousy Network. A streaming component while coming with risk means that it is coming with perhaps, a huge upside.

I do not think any P5 commissioner has been dealt a tougher negotiating hand than George Kliavkoff. 

Trying to make chicken salad out of chicken spit is not easy.

Hungry Food GIF by Hyper RPG

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Pitooey.

On 4/7/2023 at 9:20 PM, Notalot said:

Pitooey.

No comprende?

Evidently, some fans take umbrage with this line of reasoning... Well said Jon.

Impatiens be darned!

(Its a flower... Look it up!)

• Applause 1

On 4/7/2023 at 10:41 PM, woundedknees said:

Evidently, some fans take umbrage with this line of reasoning... Well said Jon.

Impatiens be darned!

(Its a flower... Look it up!)

Thank you WK, but the only flour I am interested in comes in cookies and cakes that someone else bakes.

This media rights negotiation has been in the oven for a long time but after a long gestation period, baby elephants come out cute and destined to grow into bigger things.

Tom Petty: The waiting is the hardest part. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The CW doesn’t have any channels in the states of Washington or Arizona.  I don’t know how that will work out unless the CW starts channels in those states. 

If what was said on The Monty Show is true, PAC games won’t air on all CW channels nationwide, only the channels in the PAC footprint.  So these would be regionally covered games if true.   

• Let’s hope! 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Tom Petty: The waiting is the hardest part. 

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. . . Jack Reacher

Food for thought

I am 54 and have always had cable TV since I was about 12. If it wasn't for College Football I would cut cable.

Pac needs to lead College Football into the great unknown and set up streaming content.

Cable subscriptions might not carry #'s in the near future that these conferences and teams are demanding.

It might be a huge risk, sure. But couldn't be much worse than present circumstances. The rewards could be massive.

• Applause 1

On 4/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, Rufus said:

The CW doesn’t have any channels in the states of Washington or Arizona.  I don’t know how that will work out unless the CW starts channels in those states. 

If what was said on The Monty Show is true, PAC games won’t air on all CW channels nationwide, only the channels in the PAC footprint.  So these would be regionally covered games if true.   

The CW is channel 11-1 OVA in Washington. Locally it's called KSTW and broadcast in HD (1080i). I'm watching it right now.

On 4/7/2023 at 2:55 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Trying to make chicken salad out of chicken spit is not easy.

Very difficult to disagree here.

Thanks for the perspective Jon. Totally agree.

If PAC fans pay to watch their favorite team via a streaming service then that could be the beginning of the end for hugh linear media rights contracts.

Jon Joseph is correct that ESPN wants to and will move games from the SEC and ACC into ESPN+ Streaming........

WHY? If the fans of the weakest Power 5 conference will pay a monthly fee to stream their favorite college team then the sports crazed SEC and ACC fans will pay, too.

ESPN/Disney need to recapture subscribers who have cut the chord and moved to streaming. Why fight it when you just provide content they want. Its good business.

5 of my sports crazy grandchildren (all in their 20's) do not have cable. They pay for and stream what they want to view. Thst is the world my greatgrandkids are growing up in.

The future is already upon us and the PAC is the test case.  I will pay to watch the PAC and of course the Ducks. Some wont and some will!

The PAC Network didnt have the forward thinking to move into streaming. Perhaps they could have found investors to build a streaming platform and told the oyhers to whizz off. All though Its hard to lead when the dirt has already been thrown on your grave.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, cartm25 said:

While not traditionally associated with sports, having the P12 games on CW or ION would be way better than the P12N because those networks are on every major carrier/provider of linear TV.

Also, I keep seeing arguments that there is massive upside to being the first to streaming. What is the upside?

No advantage over ESPN with its ESPN+ streaming but a potential advantage over the B1G and B12 that do not have streaming as part of their new deals.

Since there was a lot of conversation about the CW, thought I put this out there.

"It looks like one reported suitor for Pac-12 rights may not be all that interested. Last week, Stewart Mandel and Max Olson of The Athletic reported that “there have been recent discussions between the Pac-12 and The CW,” raising the possibility of the conference joining LIV Golf in sports events on that network. But John Ourand of Sports Business Journal wrote in his newsletter Monday that while there were indeed Pac-12 talks with The CW, they’re not expected to lead to anything:"

AWFULANNOUNCING.COM

As per John Ourand of Sports Business Journal, Pac-12 talks with The CW "never got serious," and the network is not likely to land rights.

On 4/8/2023 at 5:19 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Very difficult to disagree here.

Thanks for the perspective Jon. Totally agree.

Chicken spit is not only real but sorta gross... like Sea gull spit, but less obvious!

2554439955_a112a9a9a7.jpgth?id=OIP.WfKzKZLvH17LiG-3f2v1iQHaEe%26p

Edited by woundedknees
  • Haha 2