FishDuck Article

Has Lanning Fixed the Duck Defense’s Soft Underbelly?

The Oregon Ducks’ defense has maintained one major problem for the last three years. Simply put, it has a soft underbelly that has been the defense’s undoing. In the zone of the field that is between the defensive front and the secondary, Oregon has been incredibly vulnerable for easy yards. Typically, not enough yards that result in touchdowns, but this ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks' defense has maintained one major problem for the last three years. Simply put, it has a soft underbelly that has been the...
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article David!  You described the "soft under belly" perfectly.  Sewell and Flowe (especially) were lost in space.

But that 3rd down and long conversion malady has been a Duck problem since Leavitt and Avalos.

I agree that the Spring game revealed the tight coverage that we can expect in the Fall.  I'm so thankful that Lanning and Lupoi have upgrade the linebacker position.

Offense and Defense - 2023 season is going to be exciting!  By the way, it looks like the punting game will be improved by the addition of Dunne.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

David, thanks for the excellent article. The D's soft underbelly has been "the elephant in the room" since the 2019 D walked off the field with a Rose Bowl victory.

Last season the offense scored more than enough points to beat the huskies and beavus. In both games the defense could not make critical stops to get off the field and secure the victory.

Those constant 3rd and long conversions by our opponents contributed to a Holiday Bowl instead of a NY6 Bowl.

So to answer your topic question, I sure hope DL has or is going to fix that soft underbelly that has been a big part of the Duck D for the last 3 years.

I have confidence and trust that DL and staff have made upgrades with transfers and recruits. Because in 2023 we play some high powered offenses. As well as facing a Heisman winner who could repeat. And a contender in Penix.

Can't wait to get your answer this fall.

Go Ducks........

• Applause 1

Great article, once again, and I agree the upgrade at LB is critical. If we are to beat the good for nothing mutts from up north this has to be corrected. 

I wonder what you think about more stunts, and blitz's? The picture you feature also shows 4 D-lineman against 4 O-lineman, and none of the lineman are beating their man. With the shown defense if is easy to give the qb time, and the receivers have an easy time getting open. 

Maybe Burch can be more of a disruptor, but it would also seem we need to be less predictable. One on one match-ups on the line of scrimmage, and soft coverage has to end!

I would love to see somebody who is effective at the blitz, has speed, and knows how to lay the wood let loose on the qb on an obvious passing 3rd downs, every once a while, please!

• Thumbs Up 2

Love the picture of Funa as he has learned to drop into coverage and is really starting to get the hang of it!

If Bassa gets a little better at tackling and taking better angles to the ball he could be the difference maker. He also needs to step up and be the leader that's been missing the last few years.

I'm really high on Jacobs as his instincts seem to be very solid, I only recall one play from the spring game he was out of position.

Hill moving to LB seems like a great move, just a little slow to cover the slot and it seemed quicker receivers always had a step on him. Always a solid tackler with great zone instincts and ability to cover TEs in man to man.

These three guys should make up a very solid rotation. Let's hope they can get it done.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I guess we were all pretty much baffled at how bad our front seven was last year. Lots of star power with no results.

Hard for me to blame the coaches when our linebackers were totally out of position making it to easy on the opposing offense to gain yardage at will and our lineman getting very little pressure on the QB. Plus lack of effort.

Last years defense was the worst defense I can remember in Eugene and I can’t wait to wash that memory out of my head. Opposing coaches were licking their chops on 3rd and 4th down. We played defense on our heels pretty much all the time. The Beavs made us look like high school players.

Our schedule is a tough one this year and I am confident that our offense has the skill to win every game. If our defense can improve into a top 30 defense then I think we will witness a very enjoyable season.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 4

The Spring Game was very encouraging. First, everyone seemed to be in good position at all positions. Next, receivers were tightly covered. Finally, ball carriers went down at the point of contact. Very impressive with the amount of player turn over with only fourteen practices under their belts. It looks like the D is all ready handling the basics. Give them more time in the summer and they should be ready to handle some of Lanning's havoc inducing schemes.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/9/2023 at 8:13 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Spring Game was very encouraging. First, everyone seemed to be in good position at all positions. Next, receivers were tightly covered. Finally, ball carriers went down at the point of contact. Very impressive with the amount of player turn over with only fourteen practices under their belts. It looks like the D is all ready handling the basics. Give them more time in the summer and they should be ready to handle some of Lanning's havoc inducing schemes.

I would say the big thing that makes the defensive performance at the spring game encouraging us that it was dominant but we also all know this offense is deadly. 

We all know that Bucky is going to break loads of tackles next year and that Franklin is going to beat his man in coverage regularly. But seeing the defense crap some of that down is significant. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This article, to me, is outstanding analysis.  I planned to watch the Spring Game with eyes on the linebackers in terms of run-support, but now I will look for the coverage and the missed interceptions as well.  Really good observations about the past, (which we knew) but tying into what we saw in April as a solution that most would have missed.

Damn good stuff David, and I thank you!

Justin Jacobs 

5 things to know about Oregon's new linebacker Jestin Jacobs

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks for the great take Mr. Marsh. 

As an advanced middle-aged guy, I can relate to soft bellies. 

I see Sewell as a situational player in the NFL. Not fluid enough to play in pass protection.

Will Flowe show in Arizona?  

Dan L has picked up some studs from the portal. Will they be integrated and mesh as a team on the field? We have a DC who can recruit but can he coach at a championship level? 

On 5/9/2023 at 11:22 AM, David Marsh said:

I would say the big thing that makes the defensive performance at the spring game encouraging us that it was dominant but we also all know this offense is deadly. 

We all know that Bucky is going to break loads of tackles next year and that Franklin is going to beat his man in coverage regularly. But seeing the defense crap some of that down is significant. 

Good to see but difficult to project into the regular season, especially with mix-and-match OLs leading to a bad run game. In 2023 against a number of teams, I do not think the D will be able to forward press as was the case in the spring game.

On 5/9/2023 at 12:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This article, to me, is outstanding analysis.  I planned to watch the Spring Game with eyes on the linebackers in terms of run-support, but now I will look for the coverage and the missed interceptions as well.  Really good observations about the past, (which we knew) but tying into what we saw in April as a solution that most would have missed.

Damn good stuff David, and I thank you!

Justin Jacobs 

5 things to know about Oregon's new linebacker Jestin Jacobs

I have to love a JJ being on board.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, Just Ducky said:

I guess we were all pretty much baffled at how bad our front seven was last year. Lots of star power with no results.

Hard for me to blame the coaches when our linebackers were totally out of position making it to easy on the opposing offense to gain yardage at will and our lineman getting very little pressure on the QB. Plus lack of effort.

Last years defense was the worst defense I can remember in Eugene and I can’t wait to wash that memory out of my head. Opposing coaches were licking their chops on 3rd and 4th down. We played defense on our heels pretty much all the time. The Beavs made us look like high school players.

Our schedule is a tough one this year and I am confident that our offense has the skill to win every game. If our defense can improve into a top 30 defense then I think we will witness a very enjoyable season.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

Great take. But who else do you blame if not the coaches?

Thanks for the article and analysis....your conclusions match what I saw with my own two eyes though I had no idea why the play was improved other than different players.  

I am still shaking my head in disbelief.  I waited decades for 5-start LB's.....finally lived to see it with Sewell and Flowe on the roster.....only to have that duo become the soft spot on the defense.   I would have lost money on that bet.

Sewell first year was solid....I guess injuries slowed him down some but the game moved away from his skill set to some degree.   Flowe was faster than lightning.....and yet whiffed on targets, or was late, and was one of those guys who got hurt a lot. Troy Dye could play with a broken arm and be more effective.

Whether it was coaching, scheme, talent, effort or a combo of all four....let's hope Coach Dan has it figured out.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

But who else do you blame if not the coaches?

I do feel the coaches, the Cristobal era, really did some star chasing at linebacker when they secured commitments from Sewell and Flowe. 

Neither Sewell or Flowe as players had the bodies or ability to do everything that was required of them. 

Flowe has some explosive speed and probably could pull off coverage but he never understood the playbook well enough and was constantly out of position. 

I think some of the coaching was probably fine but the biggest problem was that there was a failure in recruitment. 

• Applause 1