Jon Joseph

B1G Going Small With No Power 5 Out-of-Conference (OOC) Opponents. Blame Penn State? Or, How About USC?

A B1G writer is concerned about the B1G dropping a P5 OOC opponent. He's not happy about this.

aturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/hickey-backing-out-of-power-5-scheduling-requirement-would-be-a-b1g-mistake/

chicken GIF by floatingwoo

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The Big Ten is reportedly on the verge of easing its nonconference football scheduling requirements. That would be a B1G mistake.

• Applause 1

One of my pet peeves about the B1G is that it plays so few intersectional games that one cannot gauge how good its members really are. To back out of a requirement that power 5 OOC games be scheduled is absurd in my opinion.

I can honestly say that I wish my Dawgs had more power 5 OOC opponents. Kirby Smart apparently agrees and has scheduled some high quality opponents virtually every year going forward. They do play Georgia Tech annually now and often try for a kickoff classic quality game at the beginning of the year to get the team dialed in early. I am far from a football coach, but there seems, to me at least, that such games are great preparation for the upcoming league season.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

THEATHLETIC.COM

Although some officials are optimistic they’ll find clarity this week, it’s possible the decision gets kicked down the road...

We don’t post articles that require a subscription.  If you could summarize it for everyone?

Mr. FishDuck

I clicked on the photo and go through. Not so with the link below the photo.

I was able to read it without a subscription.  If you can’t read it, it says the B1G is considering 3 scheduling models:   3 permanent rivals, two permanent rivals, and a flexible option where different teams would have different numbers of permanent rivals.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 5/15/2023 at 1:23 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

One of my pet peeves about the B1G is that it plays so few intersectional games that one cannot gauge how good its members really are. To back out of a requirement that power 5 OOC games be scheduled is absurd in my opinion.

I can honestly say that I wish my Dawgs had more power 5 OOC opponents. Kirby Smart apparently agrees and has scheduled some high quality opponents virtually every year going forward. They do play Georgia Tech annually now and often try for a kickoff classic quality game at the beginning of the year to get the team dialed in early. I am far from a football coach, but there seems, to me at least, that such games are great preparation for the upcoming league season.

ND, I'm certain you know that UGA had a game scheduled versus Oklahoma in Norman this season that the conference called off.

This helps account for a weak UGA OOC schedule in 2023. UGA does have better P5 OOC opponents scheduled down the road. 

Future UGA OOC opponents include Clemson, UCLA, FSU, Louisville, NC State, and Ohio State. All in addition to Georgia Tech.

I find it very hard to criticize the B1G or the SEC for not scheduling P-5 games. Winning the National Championship is my goal every year, and scheduling  tough OOC opponent gets in the way of that too often. The PAC-12/10 is too weak, so I guess we can't go that route, but I certinly do not blame teams in legitimate conferences for handling their risks. 

On 5/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, 2002duck said:

I find it very hard to criticize the B1G or the SEC for not scheduling P-5 games. Winning the National Championship is my goal every year, and scheduling  tough OOC opponent gets in the way of that too often. The PAC-12/10 is too weak, so I guess we can't go that route, but I certinly do not blame teams in legitimate conferences for handling their risks. 

Good take but the B1G in football is a distant second to the SEC and SEC teams are for the most part ramping up their OOC schedules including Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, and Auburn.

For the majority of the B1g not playing a P5 opponent OOC could be a big ding to the SOS. 

Playing Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, and Maryland does not move the SOS needle. 

Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, and then there is a B1G drop-off to the next tier. B1G, unlike the SEC, is making B1G bucks because of location and huge numbers of alumni./alumnae.

Poor move to allow the drop of P5 opponents. I would add, the B1G is quickly strengthening their top tier teams. Of course its UGA and Alabama and everyone else in the SEC. I'm going out on a limb here and say that the SEC is NOT head and shoulders above the B1G. tOSU gave UGA all they could handle 4 months ago. Michigan? They beat tOSU. One could argue that putting the top 6 teams from both the SEC and B1G would be an equal matchup.

Who's #3 and 4 from both conferences? PSU and Wisconson against who? LSU or UT? Illinois was a surprise last year. I would put that defense against the middling teams of the SEC. They held UM to like 17 points. 

No, I don't think the SEC is as good as everyone thinks they are. Its the top 3 of UT, UGA and Alabama. All other schools are storied but paper tigers

I would add that USC is coming like a freight train. The top 4 teams in the B1G are definitely better than the SEC. And if Oregon comes to the B1G, well the top 5 teams would have a better record than the top 5 SEC teams hands down.

Edited by 1Funduck
  • Wow 1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, 1Funduck said:

Poor move to allow the drop of P5 opponents. I would add, the B1G is quickly strengthening their top tier teams. Of course its UGA and Alabama and everyone else in the SEC. I'm going out on a limb here and say that the SEC is NOT head and shoulders above the B1G. tOSU gave UGA all they could handle 4 months ago. Michigan? They beat tOSU. One could argue that putting the top 6 teams from both the SEC and B1G would be an equal matchup.

Who's #3 and 4 from both conferences? PSU and Wisconson against who? LSU or UT? Illinois was a surprise last year. I would put that defense against the middling teams of the SEC. They held UM to like 17 points. 

No, I don't think the SEC is as good as everyone thinks they are. Its the top 3 of UT, UGA and Alabama. All other schools are storied but paper tigers

I would add that USC is coming like a freight train. The top 4 teams in the B1G are definitely better than the SEC. And if Oregon comes to the B1G, well the top 5 teams would have a better record than the top 5 SEC teams hands down.

Great take but the top 6 B1G teams? As I noted earlier the B1G W champ Purdue was humiliated by LSU. Wisconsin was not bowl eligible in 2022. I think the top 3 can compete against anyone but after that?

I see the Pac-12 in 2023 being far deeper than the B1G. 

Top 4? What team is your 4th? USC? Never made the playoff. Was last seen getting embarrassed by Utah and losing to a G5 team. Better than the top 4 in the SEC? I wholly disagree and the record speaks for itself.

Top 5 hands down? Georgia, Alabama, LSU (far from a paper tiger; a team that won the playoff a few years back) Tennessee (defeated Clemson handily in its bowl game,) and Auburn, a team Oregon has yet to defeat. 

Alabama, Georgia, and LSU have all won playoff titles. Ohio State won the inaugural playoff title and that's it for the B1G. The SEC has far, far more BCS trophies than the B1G.

The SEC constantly out-recruits the B1G and sends far more players on to the NFL. 

Kentucky, South Carolina, A+M, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State are better programs than the middle tier of the B1G. And in the last couple of years Vany defeats Northwestern had they played. 

Illinois had a senior-laden team last season that gave Michigan a heck of a game but did not win the B1G West.

Come 2024 if the 16 B1G teams played a challenge against the 16 SEC teams I think the SEC would dominate. And I think the odds makers would back me up.

Fun to ponder. But the SEC and not the B1G, has the trophies to support the bragging. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thx for your viewpoint. I can't argue with the points you bring up. My take is that, looking at the conferences today, the SEC is not head and shoulders above the B1G. Sure, Purdue and Wisconsin, aren't good examples today. However, the argument that teams have been good in the past can't hold up to being a top tier team. Nebraska, Colorado, Florida, Miami, FSU? Even LSU, they were good last year, didn't look so good just a few years back. Auburn won the Natty and has looked atrocious for years now. 

USC is being looked at through traitorous glasses right now. Thats not fair to the team as a whole. Their defense is less than average. Take a look at the incoming roster, its about to change. USC had no problem on offense. They had a broken down QB that gave his all. They lost because their defense was Swiss cheese. Thats changing right now. 

As far as the SEC recruits, I wholeheartedly agree with the top 4 or so teams. Outside of that? Average at best. In fact, tons of recruits end up in the SEC from California, at least from the left coast. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that once Washington and Oregon are in the B1G, that all recruits will come to terms, with the College landscape is 2 conferences, and will want to be a part of that. The drifting to other conferences by the top tiered recruits will steadily get smaller. Only schools left to finish the full transformation are Miami, Florida State, and Clemson. All the heavy hitters will be in the 2Cons. 

I foresee a sizeable shift coming. The SEC is going to start to lose the moniker of being the best conference. It won't come from the winner of the Championship, but with all the rest of the bowl participants. Its closer than one thinks. 

On 5/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, 1Funduck said:

Thx for your viewpoint. I can't argue with the points you bring up. My take is that, looking at the conferences today, the SEC is not head and shoulders above the B1G. Sure, Purdue and Wisconsin, aren't good examples today. However, the argument that teams have been good in the past can't hold up to being a top tier team. Nebraska, Colorado, Florida, Miami, FSU? Even LSU, they were good last year, didn't look so good just a few years back. Auburn won the Natty and has looked atrocious for years now. 

USC is being looked at through traitorous glasses right now. Thats not fair to the team as a whole. Their defense is less than average. Take a look at the incoming roster, its about to change. USC had no problem on offense. They had a broken down QB that gave his all. They lost because their defense was Swiss cheese. Thats changing right now. 

As far as the SEC recruits, I wholeheartedly agree with the top 4 or so teams. Outside of that? Average at best. In fact, tons of recruits end up in the SEC from California, at least from the left coast. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that once Washington and Oregon are in the B1G, that all recruits will come to terms, with the College landscape is 2 conferences, and will want to be a part of that. The drifting to other conferences by the top tiered recruits will steadily get smaller. Only schools left to finish the full transformation are Miami, Florida State, and Clemson. All the heavy hitters will be in the 2Cons. 

I foresee a sizeable shift coming. The SEC is going to start to lose the moniker of being the best conference. It won't come from the winner of the Championship, but with all the rest of the bowl participants. Its closer than one thinks. 

Great take but for the SEC to lose the moniker of the best conference it has to start falling behind in recruiting (I see grabbing quality players from CA as a big plus and not a minus) the number of players matriculating to the NFL, out-of-conference win and loss totals and the SEC is picking up its OOC scheduling and has to stop winning titles. 

Bowl games are a dicey determination of conference strength. Especially these days when many quality players sit out bowls. Nevertheless, in 2022 Georgia defeated Ohio State and smashed TCU in the champ game. Alabama easily disposed of B12 champ K St in the Sugar Bowl. LSU destroyed B1G West champ Purdue. Tennessee easily defeated ACC champ, Clemson.

Ole Miss did drop its bowl game but to a B12 team, Texas Tech, and not a B1G team. South Carolina lost to Notre Dame. I cannot recall a bowl game or a regular season game in 2022 where a B1G team defeated an SEC team. Please correct me if I am wrong (and I am often wrong.)

More importantly, the B1G is not close top to bottom with the SEC in recruiting rankings so I do not see how the B1G will close the gap with the SEC. 

Will USC light up the B1G? Not unless it fixes a porous D. The D talent has improved but Grinch is still the coach and I see no major improvement so long as Grinch is at Troy. The Trojans were punched in the mouth by Utah in the conference champ game and couldn't hang on versus Tulane in the Cotton Bowl.

IMO SC comes into the B1G as perhaps, depending on the play of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin under Finkel, Minnesota, and Nebraska under  Ruhle,  the 4th best or lower team in the B1G. And this season before SC joins the B1G is Williams's last go-round. Riley is a QB whisperer, no doubt, but Williams looks to be a generational talent. If healthy, the heavily favored 2024 #1 draft pick.

I love these debates and I love your fervor for the B1G but by any and every measure the B1G is behind the SEC, not financially but on the football field. 

Iowa defeated Kentucky 21-0 in the Music City Bowl. 

Georgia defeated Ohio State 42-41 in the Peach Bowl/CFP Semifinals 

LSU defeated Purdue 63-7 in the Citrus Bowl. 

Those were the only 3 games the SEC and B1G played each other.  

1 dominate SEC win

1 dominate B1G win

1 SEC win that came down to the last play of the game

Edited by Rufus
  • Thumbs Up 1

'Facts are a stubborn thing.' John Adams

Do I wish that the SEC was not CFB's lead sled dog by a mile? Yes. 

But by every meaningful metric, other than for academics, the SEC leads the league.

• Thumbs Up 1