FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football Transfer Portal: Gary Bryant Jr.

Our Oregon Ducks football program has had a busy offseason to say the least. Luckily, head coach Dan Lanning’s proven to be the perfect captain to steer the Ducks through the PAC-12 pond and make new additions to the flock along the way. As we roll into spring, this squad has sured-up some important spots after losing significant contributors to the NFL ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program has had a busy offseason to say the least. Luckily, head coach Dan Lanning's proven to be the perfect...

• Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Alex!   It's great news for Oregon fans to ponder on the Wide Receiver room.  The talent is there, and as iron sharpens iron, the competition makes everyone better.

I think I remember that new Duck Gary Bryant Jr. has skill at receiving punts and kick offs.  This could really help the team this year.  We haven't seen the huge returns since the days of Coach Tom Osborne.

• Thumbs Up 1

*** Correction needed for the article.  ***       

Kendon Slovis, Jaxon Dart and Miller Moss played QB for USC in 2021, not Caleb Williams.  Williams was the QB in Oklahoma.  Gary Bryant Jr. never received a pass from Caleb Williams in 2021.  However, he did catch 2 passes last year from Williams.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is exciting to have an offense that features a passing attack that uses all levels of the field. Explosion plays that gain chunk yards electrifies the Autzen experience. That type of offense is helpful to the coaches in their recruiting efforts to attract talented QBs and receivers. 

Our young coaching staff is already recruiting at a higher level than i expected. Thanks in part, to the committed NIL assistance from Division Street. Today’s recruiting environment requires that type of assistance. 

I also think the uptick in talent in the receiver room bodes well for this year, and for the future. It gets the attention of future top QB recruits, and top QBs get the attention of future talented receivers.

The future looks bright. 😎

Edited by Drake

What I love about the new portal transfers brought in at receiver--they are proven and experienced, and while Jurrion Dickey seems to be a "can't-miss," he has not done it yet on a collegiate field.  Ditto with most of our young receiving corps.  It takes them a year or so to get up to speed, while these transfers in Tez, Holden and Bryant can step right in.  Huge difference.

Oregon is the the type of team that while rebuilding--will use the portal extensively.  Once Danno has a couple a stud HS classes stacked up--the need for transfers will be less.  The exodus of whoever is not playing will remain, but I suspect we will have our studs in-house by that time.  Fun read, thanks Alex!

hc Kris Hutson reception and run.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

As I think about it...Oregon generally has three wide receivers on the field in formation at a time, and we have two very experienced wide-outs returning in Troy Franklin and Kris Hutson who assume they will be starting.

Yet we brought in three experienced, stud receivers in Traeshon Holden, Tez Johnson and Gary BryantThree spots for five guys?

Man....Lanning is stacking talent!

Bryant would have led all our receivers in 2021?  Whew!

Gary Bryant Jr., USC, Wide Receiver

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Of course, being able to stretch the field also means more catches for the slot and TEs, so more balls to go around.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Book it Danno!

Franklin is ranked by USA Today (Ducks Wire) as the 4th best receiver in the Pac, behind Singer at SC and 2 UW WRs, and Johnson and Bryant are also ranked in the top 25.

Lanning keeps on keeping on. Right up there with Scotty.

Flying Star Trek GIF

I see ESPN ranks Zahkari Franklin -- who played for Will Stein last year at UTSA -- as the #9 WR in the nation this year!  Any news on if the Ducks are trying to bring him to Eugene?

Edited by Cacker Guy

Another factor that should get more plays for the offense is more three and outs by a much improved defense. I can't believe how much I've dreaded third and twelve the last couple of years. I'm so hoping that quickly becomes a thing of the past

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 1:17 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Lanning keeps on keeping on

That's my favorite thing about Lanning.  He is building an organization on need, as opposed to stacking a bunch of 5 Stars,  Layering talent together like a Lasagna.