47sgs

Kenny Dillingham Interview: Expects Top-Five Offense

247SPORTS.COM

Kenny Dillingham is the youngest FBS head coach in college football. He's living the dream at his dream job. That's great, but what's his plan for Arizona State?

I thought this interview was excellent, insightful, and shows similar thinking to what we've heard from Dan Lanning.  Quite an impressive and energetic young man.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It wouldn't be a surprise if he were to manage a top 5 pac12 offense this upcoming season given the amount of roster turnover he's orchestrated so far.

That being said, he doesn't have anywhere near the talent he walked into here at Oregon so it also wouldn't be surprising if it didn't happen the first season or two.

A lot of things have to fall into place and that's tough to do even under the best circumstances, let alone ASU which his predecessor left in a dumpster fire.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:56 AM, kirklandduck said:

It wouldn't be a surprise if he were to manage a top 5 pac12 offense

I don't think he meant top-five in the conference....

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yea...  Props to Dillingham, but this is quite a stretch.

This is up there with the silly stuff we hear from/about Prime.

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 5? Without knowing who his starting pitcher will be.

All the best to Dilly but I would not want to report to AD Anderson and ASU president (Eat) Crow.

And sanctions are coming that could hurt the rebuild. Although rebuilding to what? ASU has not done anything on the football field for a couple of decades. 

If an improved ASU and CU can replace USC/UCLA to keep Utah honest in the south--that could help us?  (And the conference)

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/26/2023 at 1:57 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Top 5? Without knowing who his starting pitcher will be.

All the best to Dilly but I would not want to report to AD Anderson and ASU president (Eat) Crow.

And sanctions are coming that could hurt the rebuild. Although rebuilding to what? ASU has not done anything on the football field for a couple of decades. 

It's a fair point about their past success, but we've been forked 2 out of the last 3 times we've played them.  We all know weird things happen in the desert at night, and in my mind Dilly-dilly running that offense only makes that a greater possibility moving forward...

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dilly may be good but last year that was Bo throwing  to Franklin and handing off to Bucky while being protected by an A+ line. He’ll have a much different roster to work with.

Setting up way to high expectations in year one of a massive rebuild may not be the way to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't think he meant top-five in the conference....

Ah in that case it's a hard no lol

On 5/26/2023 at 3:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If an improved ASU and CU can replace USC/UCLA to keep Utah honest in the south--that could help us?  (And the conference)

Amen, but there is no longer a south division even though still got the Cali scheduling agreement break.

It seems ASU is trying to create the magic Bruce Snyder created at ASU. Snyder came to ASU after a both playing, then coaching at Oregon. I wonder if one year at Oregon is enough to create the wizardry they want?

It is true, in the past, many of the great coaches have come through the Oregon machine. Will Dillingham just be another quick stop wonder who makes a bunch of money and fails, or will Lanning's tree be more fruitful?

In the old days John Madden's just enrolling at Oregon sent him on the way to great success. More recently the success has mainly been about a big contract.

I suppose it doesn't matter if he is successful, the Oregon pipeline will continue to fill programs and pockets. I suppose all we should care about is the Oregon magic creates a legend out of Lanning.

On 5/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

replace USC/UCLA

Replacing UCLA is easy . . . I think Dillingham has already equaled their Pac 12 S championships over the last decade.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2023 at 1:33 PM, Steven A said:

Replacing UCLA is easy . . . I think Dillingham has already equaled their Pac 12 S championships over the last decade.

Where have you gone, Terry Donahue?