Charles Fischer

Oregon May NOT Have a Baseball Super-Regional at Home?

I just received an email from the Athletic Department promoting the sale of Super-Regional tickets if we are announced at 7:00 AM Tuesday by the NCAA as a location.  Apparently they officially announce all the locations once the Regional finals today are finished.  So, it is not official yet, but it would be a stunner if we did not host Oral Roberts this next weekend.

I really loved the quote from Coach Waz from last night...

“(Pitching coach Jake) Angier was pitching 10 freshmen (this spring), and we're going to a Super Regional,” Wasikowski said. “No, it wasn’t perfect throughout the course of the year. And he knew it wasn't perfect, and we knew it wasn't perfect. And all we asked for was improvement. … And you saw development, real development, throughout the course of the year with those young arms.”

Grayson_Grinsell.jpg

Boy did we, as the benefit to having four starting pitchers out from injuries is how our freshmen are going to be very battle-hardened for next year.  Grayson Grinsell (above) is looking like a stud, and the question is where to you use him in 2024?  He has been incredibly helpful as a reliever, but I could see him going six innings next year as a starter, and frankly...with that nasty sideways-and-down curve/slider as a left-hander--I could see him as a closer as well.

With all these young pitchers?  Oregon is building an exciting base for the future, but wait!  The future is now, as Our Beloved Ducks have a real shot at OMAHA!

Marder_Wasikowski.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm not sure the Baseball Playoff Committee knows that baseball is played west of the Mississippi.

Eugene Emeralds have games scheduled Fri-Sat-Sun at PK.

Doubt there is a conflict in Oral Roberts stadium?

On 6/5/2023 at 12:23 PM, HDuck said:

Eugene Emeralds have games scheduled Fri-Sat-Sun at PK.

Doubt there is a conflict in Oral Roberts stadium?

I did not know that--good point.  Perhaps schedule earlier in the day for the Ducks?

Thanks for your first post, and do jump in often.  WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

I received that same UO athletic department notice. I suppose it's possible that the powers that be stick the super regional in Tulsa, but Oregon was the #2 seed and Oral Roberts the #3 in the regionals. That should give Oregon the nod, in spite of the W-L records.

Screenshot_20230605-122924_Chrome.jpg.072b6cb398954aa692c5d65df1264106.jpg

The Summit Conference teams aren't exactly the Pac12 in quality, but cred to Oral R, they knocked off Washington and host Okie St to move on. A formidable opponent for the Ducks regardless of where they play.

Since UO controls PK, I'll bet there are stipulations in place for hosting games if there is a conflict with the Ems and NWL games. Hopefully it won't factor in negatively. 

On today's Autzen Audibles podcast, Jared Mack reported that the Em's scheduling conflict has been resolved and the Super Regional will be at PK Park.

MEGAPHONE.LINK

Oregon's special season continues into Super Regionals

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

This is very exciting.......young, developing talent at OBD's athletic department.

Not sure what sort of NIL agreement is in place for the baseball players. But a trip tp Omaha would require some pay raises. If not, the SEC could come knocking with cash...

What a great problem to have 

GO DUCKS...........

On 6/5/2023 at 2:34 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

On today's Autzen Audibles podcast, Jared Mack reported that the Em's scheduling conflict has been resolved and the Super Regional will be at PK Park.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

When the original contract was signed with the Ems they were a short-season team and the agreement was to occupy the PK stadium June 15-Sept. 10.  Then, in 2021 the Ems became a longer season team and in fact had to play a playoff game after Sep. 10 at the opponent's stadium even though the Ems by W-L were entitled to play at home.   Since the Ems now start before June 15, I assume the original contract language still stands but Oregon was "accommodating" their needs while keeping the original contract.  My guess is that "under the contract" Oregon can deny their use prior to June 15?

Ems are moving their games this weekend.

For those of you who don't live in Eugene, the Emeralds are looking to build their own stadium.  MLB has informed them, they have to have their own stadium.  That was part of the deal, when they went to long season single A.