NJDuck

Assessing The Quarterback Situations For All PAC-12 North Teams – Which Team Has The Edge?

According to Bobby Albrant, of the Oregon Sports News, Oregon sits at third.  Guess who sits at first?

Beavs-678x381.jpeg

• Haha 1

The Pac-12 North like Elvis has left the building. I guess Oregon Sports didn't get the memo?

• Haha 1

Right.  🙄

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I can live with Oregon being ignored. 

DJU had all the tools at his disposal at Clemson and it never really clicked. Smith might be able to coach him up a bit but he isn't going to have the talent around him like he had at Clemson.

Penix is good and he has some good receivers. But does Washington have the depth? Probably not and they have lost talent again this year and it doesn't look like it is being refilled. 

Nix has a complete offense around him and all the tools to make it big this year. If Oregon's defense can take a significant leap forward, like they should, then this Oregon team is going to be unstoppable.

So we'll just let them sleep in the Ducks for now. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope this will be motivating for Nix and OBD.   Let the performance and results speak for themselves!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I hope this will be motivating for Nix and OBD.   Let the performance and results speak for themselves!

What made Nix successful last year was that he didn't need to play hero ball all the time. 

He had some heroic moments, yes. But his main job is get the ball to a playmaker and they'll make a big play. 

That's having a well rounded offense and a key to a successful team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll take Nix over all of them.  He is the complete package--taken as a whole, he can lead, scramble, pass, read defenses and make adjustments better than any other PAC quarterback, IMHO.  AND, it also looks like he will be surrounded by a complete offensive package.

Edited by CountryProf
  • Thumbs Up 1

The team with the best defense.

• Applause 2

I get why the Beavs are #1.  As a whole, the avg PAC total defense last year was 79.5, the ACC was 52. DJU faced a number of top 50 defenses last season while the entirety of the PAC only had 2 teams in the top 50 in defense, one of which he's now playing for. It could be argued that the reason for that is b/c the offenses last year were so good, but it's a cyclical argument and no way of knowing for sure. 

That being said, the stats for DJU were good last year in what was ranked a tougher defensive league, and under the tutelage of Jonathon Smith, I would expect to see a resurgence similar to what we saw in Nix. That, and they have a proven back up and a stud newbie waiting in the wings. Regardless, their logic is sound and I don't think anyone can deny what JS is building 40 minutes up the road...

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon State has a terrific in-conference scheduling break this season missing USC (even though its D is suspect until we see otherwise) and getting UCLA, Utah coming off a game vs UCLA, and UW coming off games at USC and Utah, in Corvallis.  Oregon plays at Wazzu before Utah. At Cal before UCLA and home against Stanford before UW. And OR ST plays no P5 opponents out-of-conference. The UW game comes the Saturday prior to the Civil War while Oregon trips to ASU the week before. 

If DJU wins the job he should be far more consistent than he was at Clemson. The Beavers passing game was simply bad last season and has a lot of room for improvement. 

I think a tougher defensive league although I love the stat you posted, is kind of a chicken/egg scenario. The Miami QB flamed out last season. Hartman at Wake was good, not great. And the Clemson D was lit up by Tennessee in the Orange Bowl. The Pac had better QB play last season than did the ACC. So much of CFB defensive stats depend upon the quality of the opposition's offense. 

A study of John Elway informs you the qb is important, but the team also completes the qb. Without an elite supporting cast you don't get to a bowl game, Elway never did, nor do you win the Super Bowl, until the support is there. 

With this in mind Nix is the logical choice, although I like him being underrated. Just another pundit, talking to himself and those who will listen.

200w-1.gif

• Thumbs Up 1