Charles Fischer

Key Visit Cancelled: Seattle Times Worried About Husky Recruiting

Now this is a subscriber site, but let's say they are worried and puzzled--as most Washington fans are.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/uw-huskies-host-critical-official-visit-week-after-slow-recruiting-start/#comments

I love some of the comments below it...

"Oregon loads up on talent every year but underperforms and a ton of kids transfer out yearly. Texas and Texas A & M have top 5 talent and have not scared anyone yet."

"Seems to me UW has to have a very high "close rate" given what appears to be an unfavorable ratio of limited decent prospects vs positional need."

"TCU, Utah, UW, Oregon State - lots of teams crushing it with "average" talent now. Tons of teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent doing faceplants now too. Maybe it's all about the portal now?"

"95th in the country...for a top10 team?"

Go ahead Washington...try to

do what Oregon does!

giphy.gif

• Wow 2
  • Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

When it rains....

REALDAWGHUSKIES.COM

A clearer picture is emerging of Washington’s big recruiting weekend as just a couple of days away from Emmett Mosley’s expected trip to Washington the 6-0, 175-pound receiver has...

Mr. FishDuck

That's "Prowessed"!

• Haha 2

On 6/23/2023 at 8:17 AM, woundedknees said:

That's "Prowessed"!

Wait a minute…the Huskies could not recruit well due to their higher academic “standards,” their “prowess,” yet Stanford’s new coach is killing it in recruiting?

Running out of excuses!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

If you can't make hay, make excuses. The Oregon/UW series has been close over the last decade-plus, right? UW was gifted a win in Autzen last season as the result of a rookie coaching mistake. 

However, after the season UW had in 2022 finishing with a victory over Texas, I am baffled why DeBoer, who has a ridiculous HC win percentage, cannot recruit at even a mediocre, to date, level in P5 football. I hate it but the Pac-10 needs for Oregon/UW to be a rivalry. These two on paper will play the most important Pac-10 game season after season. If UW is not competitive OOC and in the 'Northwest Series,' we won't see a large number of folks tuning in nationally for the games. 

Texas? Yes, UW defeated UT in the Alamo Bowl. UT played without its top 2 RBs and its WRs played with hands of Teflon. A+M has the 4th highest-ranked Blue Chip Roster (BCR) in CFB. No school without a BCR won a BCS title or has won a CFB playoff title to date. TCU was last seen giving up 60+ points to Georgia.

RECRUITING MATTERS! And with UW being an 'elite' at least in the mind of UW folk, academic institution, I don't see recruiting shortfalls being made up from the portal. Penix transferred in because he had a relationship with DeBoer who was Penix's OC when Penix had his best season at Indiana. 

It's very early in 2024 recruiting. The Pac-10 school doing the 2nd best in 2024 recruiting to date is STANFORD! What possible excuse can UW have for not out-recruiting the Cardinal? 

Edited by Jon Joseph

I love you Jon, but this is one time I disagree.  I want Oregon to be the top PAC-12 team by a MILE.

I want our passion, our focus on the top teams in the US, and how we are going to recruit and strategize to beat THEM.

I want to leave the Huskies in our dust, whimpering about “Evil Oregon” (their oft-used reference to us) and how they cannot catch us.

That is my fantasy, and I’m sticking to it!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Just a kid going to more academically rigorous school. Time to step up the academics dawgs. Darn, I thought the dawgs were a great academic school, with a good football program?

dr-who-no.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually the 'prowessed excuses' coming from them are pretty good.   I mean it makes for some good reading.  

I wonder if there is a class offered at UW on the Existential Merits of  Being Academically Prowessed.  Could be offered in the philosophy dept. or maybe psychology.   Bottom line here is there are lots of options.  Maybe they require all student athletes to take it.

To think the quotes Charles noted above did not come from Dawgman is also very interesting.

The net here is Jimmy Lake left us with an amazing legacy.  

Please Dan, please beat the stuffing out of them in the fall.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oregon can be like Clemson in the ACC ... Don't need a strong conference to win a national championship. 

I think the PAC on the whole needs to win the bulk of its non-conference slate every year because that would make the conference relevant. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What Ewe Dub's recruiting class looks like

Pig Lipstick Sticker by tuttelemelediannie

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:27 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Now this is a subscriber site, but let's say they are worried and puzzled--as most Washington fans are.

I think you can get 3? free articles a month.

I always check there and if I see a headline that I want to see more about, I then click on it and it counts towards the total, not just viewing the headlines.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/23/2023 at 2:02 PM, Steven A said:

I think you can get 3? free articles a month.

I always check there and if I see a headline that I want to see more about, I then click on it and it counts towards the total, not just viewing the headlines.

If it's free it's for me and I'll take 3! But I would prefer a freebie from Pravda over the Seattle Times. 

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 11:49 AM, Jon Joseph said:

If you can't make hay, make excuses. The Oregon/UW series has been close over the last decade-plus, right? UW was gifted a win in Autzen last season as the result of a rookie coaching mistake.

As well as Nix getting injured in this game help led to our loss.

On 6/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, NJDuck said:

As well as Nix getting injured in this game help led to our loss.

That might have been one of those mistakes.  Went to the well once too many times as they ran that same play earlier from about the same location.  ewe dubs LB was waiting/baited Nix.

Plus, I heard Charles yell NOOOOOOOO down here in CA as soon as he saw the play.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, Steven A said:

Plus, I heard Charles yell NOOOOOOOO down here in CA as soon as he saw the play.

Yep, and all of you have unfortunately heard about it often since.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, Steven A said:

That might have been one of those mistakes.  Went to the well once too many times as they ran that same play earlier from about the same location.  ewe dubs LB was waiting/baited Nix.

I will refrain from yet again ranting on how much I hate empty sets. 

Well I won't rant .. but I did mention it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

what appears to be an unfavorable ratio of limited decent prospects vs positional need

Ha, I love it. I see a fellow business and legal consultant offering a different perspective here! I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to work.

Every position is a position of need two years out, and there are many prospects left. For the players that have committed elsewhere already- that's on the Huskies.

What? Have players not been committing yet because the coaching staff is still determining what positions they actually need help building up? 

Edited by 2002duck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:35 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Emmett Mosley’s expected trip to Washington the 6-0, 175-pound receiver has

Interesting how the Huskies writer goes on to say in a paragraph later that Mosely is "over 6'1''". Actually no, you just said he was only 6' flat and 175 pounds. Then the writer goes on to mention another receiver that is just "a shade" under 5'11''. 

Come on man, just list the players for what they are. Changing narratives in plan view is embarrassing.  

• Applause 1

On 6/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, 2002duck said:

what appears to be an unfavorable ratio of limited decent prospects vs positional need

Ha, I love it. I see a fellow business and legal consultant offering a different perspective here! I'm sorry, but it just isn't going to work.

Every position is a position of need two years out, and there are many prospects left. For the players that have committed elsewhere already- that's on the Huskies.

In the age of the transfer portal you really do pursue the best players in the positions of need on the recruiting trail, knowing if you come up short you can shop the portal. 

But the lifeblood of programs is still recruiting high school players. No program has yet proven that they can live entirely from the portal. Portal players are also starting to cost more NIL than your prep recruits because they are proven. 

Washington fans are lying to themselves right now. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/25/2023 at 12:14 PM, David Marsh said:

Washington fans are lying to themselves right now.

So what else is new?

• Applause 1