Rufus

Report: SDSU to Remain in Mountain West

Hmm…something is going on with that media rights contract if SDSU isn’t receiving an invite. If this report is actually true.  

Not sure why SDSU would subject themselves to a higher exit fee if they are leaving.  Again, if this is true.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10081288-report-sdsu-plans-to-remain-in-mountain-west-amid-pac-12-move-rumors

To me this simply means the Pac? did not want to rush the process just to save SDSU some money. 

SDSU will still be the first school offered a place in the Pac. They'll just have to come up with 16mil if they want to join in less than a years time.

It seems very likely that SDSU and SMU will both be joining sometime in the near future.

San Diego State remaining in Mountain West as Aztecs back off intention to withdraw from conference

San Diego State plans to notify the Mountain West Conference that it's no longer intending withdraw from the league, sources confirmed to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd.

This decision is a sharp turnaround just weeks after the Aztecs had sent a letter to the conference outlining their intentions to depart the league while asking for an extension to give official notice.

The Mountain West rejected the extension request, meaning June 30 was the last day the school could submit an official notice of withdrawal.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

San Diego State plans to send the league a formal letter stating its intentions to stick around

Trust me, the Pac-12 knows

what they're doing...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

John Canzano suggested a couple of items to ponder with the announcement....

1.  No surprise, as this is what has been expected.

2.  Perhaps the Pac-12 wants receive the 2024 windfall to pay off the 50 million debt due a split of 10 ways versus 12?  Bring in SDST and SMU for 2025 instead of right now?

3. "It could be that the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors simply don’t think like you and I do. It could also be that they’re simply sticking to a strict order of operations — TV deal first, expansion second — and they’re not done with the media part. Or it could be that they’ve discovered a financial advantage to waiting another year to invite two new members." 

My fellow Duck-Buddies....No. 3 suggested by Canzano might actually make the most sense.  Those damn egghead University Presidents, "simply don't think like you and I do."

Yep, they know what they're doing...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/30/2023 at 5:24 PM, DUCati855 said:

To me this simply means the Pac? did not want to rush the process just to save SDSU some money. 

SDSU will still be the first school offered a place in the Pac. They'll just have to come up with 16mil if they want to join in less than a years time.

It seems very likely that SDSU and SMU will both be joining sometime in the near future.

"rush the process"?  It's been a year.

On 6/30/2023 at 5:45 PM, HouClone said:

"rush the process"?  It's been a year.

Wait for judgement until it happens, please.

1.  The B1G contract was signed a year before it took effect, which is about where we are with ours in the Pac-12.  But wait!  The B1G have new complications that have to be solved in two months?  

2. You are a Big-12 fan, thus your trolling means nothing to us.  We will have a superior contract to yours when it is done, and all of you will fade away....

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/30/2023 at 7:54 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Wait for judgement until it happens, please.

1.  The B1G contract was signed a year before it took effect, which is about where we are with ours in the Pac-12.  But wait!  The B1G have new complications that have to be solved in two months?  

2. You are a Big-12 fan, thus your trolling means nothing to us.  We will have a superior contract to yours when it is done, and all of you will fade away....

Not trolling. The Big 10 had 98% contract done way before the year.  They had the tv partners and money all sorted out. The play at night is a minor detail.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, HouClone said:

Not trolling. The Big 10 had 98% contract done way before the year.  They had the tv partners and money all sorted out. The play at night is a minor detail.

You settled before all the components of streaming were brought into play.  You will regret your contract before it is over...

All that matters is that we have a contract before expiration date that is the best we can achieve.  And we will, and it will be superior to the Big-12 media contract.

See?  The Pac-12 can talk trash too...

The Big-12 and all their hacks...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/30/2023 at 8:16 PM, Charles Fischer said:

John Canzano suggested a couple of items to ponder with the announcement....

1.  No surprise, as this is what has been expected.

2.  Perhaps the Pac-12 wants receive the 2024 windfall to pay off the 50 million debt due a split of 10 ways versus 12?  Bring in SDST and SMU for 2025 instead of right now?

3. "It could be that the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors simply don’t think like you and I do. It could also be that they’re simply sticking to a strict order of operations — TV deal first, expansion second — and they’re not done with the media part. Or it could be that they’ve discovered a financial advantage to waiting another year to invite two new members." 

My fellow Duck-Buddies....No. 3 suggested by Canzano might actually make the most sense.  Those damn egghead University Presidents, "simply don't think like you and I do."

Yep, they know what they're doing...

giphy.gif

Does the word 'THINK' belong in the same sentence with Pac-12 presidents? 

• Yikes! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:02 PM, HouClone said:

The contract was one that ESPN and Fox were eager to agree to because it is a placeholder and not more lucrative than the old agreement. This agreement will be laughed at before it concludes. Like the media deal Larry Scott signed that everyone thought was so great. The Pac deal will exceed the B12 deal and will come to the market again before the B12 deal. 

The B12 is now an extension of the AAC including Houston. A fine school but one that is third at best in the Houston market.

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 8:43 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The contract was one that ESPN and Fox were eager to agree to because it is a placeholder and not more lucrative than the old agreement. This agreement will be laughed at before it concludes. Like the media deal Larry Scott signed that everyone thought was so great. The Pac deal will exceed the B12 deal and will come to the market again before the B12 deal. 

The B12 is now an extension of the AAC including Houston. A fine school but one that is third at best in the Houston market.

You may be right. Note the Big 10 deal will be ready to re-up in 2029, before the Big 12.  Big 12 can't do anything until that is done.  But neither can the Pac, unless they go at it in 2027 or 2028. But the networks will want to concentrate on the Big 10 deal when it gets close.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or, the discount payout overwhelms the buyout and its all a moot point. Maybe not first year, but most likely by the 2nd

I don't like how any of this is playing out. 

Here is my new conspiracy theory:  There is a strategic reason this is dragging out.  GK doesn't want B12 celebrating CO/AZ additions at B12 Media Days (Jul 12th), and/or the press asking questions about why CO/AZ left at Pac12 Media Days (Jul 21st). Pac 12 will get the "Hard Contract" on Monday, July 24th.

Edited by Rufus

Truly, it is difficult to tell what is going on with the PAC Conference at this time........

My thoughts, for as little as they are worth, are that NO FINAL DEAL is in place for the conference members to agree on and sign. SDSU was in a difficult spot and had to stay put for now.

I foolishly got my hopes up when SDSU requested an extension. They would not have done that without some sort of information or knowledge about a deal. Their legal counsel would have needed something to hang their hat on to send that request to the MWC.

As a fan/donor/fool I am embarrassed by the action/non action by the PAC. For goodness sakes we are not dealing with trade secrets or world changing events. WTH......

SDSU, may have jumped the gun on the extension request letter and thats on them. However, GK and the 10 dwarfs need to treat their fans and potential partners better.

It is good business to treat others as you would like to be treated. Maybe someday we will know the back story to this on going no story.

For goodness sakes act better than usc and ucla. They are not the denominator of behaviour i would aspire to.........

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bulls horns regarding the new media deal have been at least slightly polled by this news. With the LA schools leaving how could you allow the San Diego market to potentially slip away? 

SDSU is earning $4M a year in media revenue as a member of the MW. A leader(s) could have agreed without knowing the new media deals details to take a $500,000.00 per Pac-10 school media haircut, if necessary, to bring on SDSU. For $5M per annum, SDSU would have been delighted to move up from the G5 to the P5. SDSU could have left the MW with a $17M exit fee that could have been negotiated down or paid over several years. Instead, the conference left the Aztecs in limbo and put the Pac-10 further in harm's way. 

What is the strategy here? To be a PR ostrich and bury your head in the sand. I understand confidentiality agreements but this should not impact Pac-10 HQ assuring its members with at least a ballpark estimate of when the deal will be finalized. Meanwhile, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF officially joined the B12 today.  

I continue to hope for the best but this news is disconcerting, to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trust me: we know precisely

what we are doing...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't know what will happen to the Pac-12 now, but hopefully everything goes fine and we finally win a national championship!

• Let’s hope! 1

On 7/1/2023 at 9:10 AM, Rufus said:

I don't like how any of this is playing out. 

Here is my new conspiracy theory:  There is a strategic reason this is dragging out.  GK doesn't want B12 celebrating CO/AZ additions at B12 Media Days (Jul 12th), and/or the press asking questions about why CO/AZ left at Pac12 Media Days (Jul 21st). Pac 12 will get the "Hard Contract" on Monday, July 24th.

Rufus, it's Sunday and both courses at my club are being used for a Junior Golf Tournament hosted by the South Carolina PGA. With these so-and-so whipper-snappers taking up all of the tee times I can't get out to play more bad golf so here is my conspiracy theory as to why the Pac Conference is where it finds itself today.

Over a decade ago Robert Murdoch, the principal owner of Fox, decided that the broadcast of college football (CFB) games would help Fox's bottom line. Murdoch was never invited to attend ESPN's Super Bowl pre-game parties and was not invited to view the games from the ESPN executive suite. To be a player in the broadcast of CFB, Murdoch knew that he would have to elbow ESPN out of coverage of the B1G conference, where he maneuvered Fox into today being a 61% owner of the B1G Network. He also knew from NFL broadcast experience that he needed to have a solid hold on CFB broadcasts from where his USA headquarters are located in Los Angeles. 

Through a trust in the Caymans, owned by a holding company located on the Isle of Wight and in turn owned by a shadow company in the Balkans, Murdoch became the silent owner of the consulting firm the Pac-10 engaged to help it find a new commissioner to replace Tom Hansen. He knew he was dealing with a stable of suckers in charge of the Pac-10. He identified a Harvard man, Larry Scott as his dupe who would destroy the Pacific Conference knowing that Larry was a conniving spendthrift and a greedy person who Murdoch was easily able to buy off. The consulting firm did its job and a person with no college sports experience whose only sports experience was managing a women's professional tennis league in Florida, was stupefyingly hired to be Hansen's successor.  

Murdoch then directed Larry to move the Pac Conference headquarters from Mountain View, California to the uber-expensive downtown San Francisco and had Larry make a play for the big-time B12 teams, knowing that Texas would throw a late-in-the-game monkey wrench into the proposed expansion with the wrench paid for by his nemesis, ESPN, which established the loser Longhorn Network. Further, he instructed Larry to add Colorado and Utah to the Pac-10 and at the same time to do away with USC receiving a greater share of conference media revenue. This did not make the folks at Heritage Hall happy.

But this was not enough. Even though Larry did not believe that the Pac presidents could be this stupid Murdoch told Larry to form a network without media partners and to also locate the network headquarters and broadcast facilities in expensive San Francisco digs. And to demand from the suckers a salary of over $4M a year paid to Larry as not only the conference commissioner but also as the CEO of the conference network. To Larry's surprise, the people he reported to actually went for this while buying into absurd media income projections authored by the same consulting firm controlled by Murdoch, which recommended Larry. The operational costs of the Pac-12 Conference were now close to twenty times that of the SEC and the B1G. 

Time went by and the Pac-12 conference, having chortled over the media deal Larry engineered with ESPN and Fox, which was soon eclipsed in media revenue by the B1G and the SEC began to fall financially far behind. Not even the lowest of income projections of the Pac-12 Network was met. The network with a pathetic number of subscribers broadcast numerous conference football games at an hour when no one east of the Rocky Mountains was awake. The conference but for the efforts of Nike and Oregon fell off of football's national radar. 

The stage was set but Murdoch needed one more player on his stage to pull off the theft of the LA schools. Ergo, behind the scenes he convinced USC, floundering on the football field and in the midst of an admission and other crises, to hire Carol Folt away from the University of North Carolina to become president of USC. At the same time, behind the scenes, Murdoch was working with CBS, kicked out of the coverage of SEC football by ESPN and NBC looking for more college inventory and a place where it could broadcast games using its streaming affiliate Peacock. to elbow ESPN out of the B1G. 

Sometime before giving ESPN a B1G toss, Murdoch used Folt to lead the charge against the Pac-12 making the absolute correct business decision to move into the Central time zone by picking up the pieces of the B12 when Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving, as so engineered by ESPN, to join the SEC. At the same time Folt was protesting that the leftover B12 teams were not worthy of joining the Pac-12 Exclusive Club, she was negotiating with Fox and the B1G's lying commissioner, Kevin Warren, to move USC into the B1G and to take UCLA along with it. 

A stronger leader might have been able to convince the conference of the long-term benefits of adding the orphaned B12 teams and eliminating a Power 5 conference from competition for media dollars but Murdoch did not rest on his Larry laurels. He again through his consultants artfully convinced the leaders of the Pac-12, the summa cum laude suckers, to hire a guy with no college sports experience and without the gravitas to thwart the nefarious Murdoch tool, Carol Folt. At the same time, an obscure entity donated large sums of money to the campaign of California Governor Newsome, and his protestations regarding UCLA moving to the B1G largely disappeared except for a 'Calimony' tax that UCLA may or may not be forced to pay.

So, the Pac-12 conference did not expand and shortly thereafter USC and UCLA informed the new Pac-12 commissioner that they were off to the B1G greener pastures, leaving the Pac-12 and ESPN behind in favor of a conference with its bottom line managed by Fox. If this was not enough of an in-your-face to the Pac Conference, Larry covered up overpayments to a media partner leaving every Pac team with a $60M dollar financial hit. And of course, the Left Coast suckers are doing nothing to go after Larry. 

'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty. and despair. Nothing beside remains, Round the decay of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare and level sands stretch far away.' Percy Bysshe Shelly with a tip-of-the-hat to  Robert Murdoch, Larry Scott, Obscure Consultants, Carol Folt, and Kevin Warren.

[OK. In the 'real world,' however defined, I do believe that Puddles, unlike my golf swing, will be just fine.]

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 1

Please, let this man play golf.  Next, he'll have time for the flowchart.

The sad part of this conspiracy theory is about 25% of it is accurate, which is about 20% too much and why the Pac12 is in the fix it is in.

All conspiracy theories have an element of truth.  And, therein lies the rub.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jon, there is more truth in your conspiracy theory than I would like to admit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

With no ears at the negotiation table, we’re all left to play this frustrating, venting game of guessing. So, here’s mine. SDSU was given no other choice but to act as it did because of a protracted disagreement between media and PAC10 negotiators over the actual added-value represented by SDSU’s tv viewing presence in Southern California: yet TBD.

Hate to say it, but the reality of our situation just doesn’t allow me to play the blame game. Personally, I can’t think of anyone who could, or would want to play our weak hand as it stands right now. Too many losses, too much potentially in the wind and too many rumors to appear as anything other than backed into a corner.

Hope I’m wrong, and that that’s an ace up our sleeve, and not a joker.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 7/2/2023 at 3:31 PM, HDuck said:

Please, let this man play golf.  Next, he'll have time for the flowchart.

The sad part of this conspiracy theory is about 25% of it is accurate, which is about 20% too much and why the Pac12 is in the fix it is in.

All conspiracy theories have an element of truth.  And, therein lies the rub.

LOL! The one thing I would love to know, is when did Carol Folt begin playing footsie with Fox, Kevin Warren, and the B1G? 

If discussions were ongoing and undisclosed at the time she did everything she could to thwart the Pac-12's move into the Central time zone, this behavior would violate any number of California (one of the states where I am admitted to practice) statutes regarding fair dealing and constitute a breach of fiduciary duties owed to her Pac-12 partners. 

Of course, if we mere fans were to learn of such behavior it wouldn't matter as we would have no standing to sue, and the leaders of the Pac are congenitally averse to suing one of their own. 

FORE!

Where SMU stands with Pac-12 after San Diego State's retreat back to MWC

Pac-12 expansion has not gone as smoothly as many were hoping it would

Despite reports indicating that the Pac-12 wouldn't have their media rights deal done until July, and the conference president himself saying that the conference wouldn't expand until the deal was done, San Diego State still pulled out a questionable move.

They essentially alerted the Mountain West whether it was their intention or not, that they were leaving the conference. The consensus around the country is that they were hoping to secure an invite to the Pac-12, and avoid having to pay the $33.5 million exit fee. Unfortunately for them they didn't receive an invitation, and they are now left with three options moving forward

While most of the attention has been on them and rightfully so, as they may have even tried to force the Pac-12's hand a bit, many are wondering what to make of SMU. San Diego State has long been viewed as the perfect candidate for Pac-12 expansion, and SMU has been right there with them. We know that the program out of Dallas has interest in joining the Pac-12 and the feeling was at one point viewed as mutual, but they have been much more quiet about expansion than San Diego State.

Pac-12 insider John Canzano recently provided an update on where SMU currently stands in this whole ordeal.

SMU is doing some serious rubber-necking on the SDSU fiasco. The Mustangs are motivated to get into the Pac-12 and view the Aztecs as a likely dance partner. For that reason, donors at SMU viewed San Diego State’s announcement that it was staying put as a disappointing development. But as they say in Texas, “Don’t hang your wash on someone else’s line.”

Assuming they learned from San Diego State's mistake, SMU likely won't inform the American of their plan to leave until they know it's a for sure thing. In order to leave they would have to pay the AAC an exit fee of $10 million and also provide a 27-month notice of departure. 

A fee that could come down as the commissioner, Mike Aresco, has revealed he's open to negotiating with a program that is leaving. July is expected to be a big month for the Pac-12, and also provide some much needed closure on this wave of realignment.

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/where-smu-stands-with-pac-12-after-san-diego-states-retreat-back-to-mwc

• Thumbs Up 1