Charles Fischer

How Much Negative is "Too Much" for the Our Beloved Ducks Forum?

Many of you Greybeards are snickering at the title, because you have read quite a bit about this over the years, but unfortunately--some newbies are unaware.  The bottom line is that I get very annoyed with ongoing negative about a topic from the same people.

Have you told us your extreme negative perspective once in the last week?  We got it.

Read that? We got it.  You can do that once a week, and it is fine with me; that is still four times a month and over 50 times a year.  That is enough.

But a few of you are hitting us nearly every day, or even several times a day in different ways.  We have a rule about it, and suggest you read Rule No. 31a-d about it because I've banned a ton of people over this rule.  Some actually think I wouldn't ban them, even after being told I just did ban someone for two months.  I'd rather have no posts, then a seemingly endless stream of negative.

Do NOT misinterpret this as No-Negative, as we continue to do “Critical Analysis” of player performance and coaching decisions. That is what we do on a forum, and will continue to...always.

Negative on all topics is fine; extreme redundant negative on a topic is not.

We have a ton to be happy about...

HC2 more duck joy.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you for this. I agree this has been the case lately on many topics. It has kept me from posting several time just knowing it will trigger someone's need to push their agenda. We really need some fresh news to discuss!

• Thumbs Up 2

I like coming here because I feel there is a reasonable balance.  There's good and bad to everything and sometimes in the heat of the moment we lose perspective but I never feel it gets crazy here.   In 'some places' the Lanning bashing and the player bashing is beyond bad.  This is a place where the conversation is honest and real and yes, we disagree sometimes but I appreciate that it rarely focuses and the poster but on the topic.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I’ve spent a lot of my reading time biting my tongue to not respond or to not even read the posts on “how awful is the PAC-10-12 and how wonderful is the B1G.”

Can’t wait for the contract to be signed and the season to start so we can talk about our Beloved Ducks. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not only are repeated negative posts an issue, so are repeated negative topics. It seems like every couple hours another B12 is gonna devour the Pac thread sprouts up with the same old stuff over and over. And once again we post repeated viewpoints on repeated topics about repeated rumors found on the interweb.

I'd never want to discourage anybody from bringing up something Duck related to discuss but maybe not every article out there on the same topic needs to have it's own thread. Readers of the forum can skip past repeat topics no problem but moderators need to go over every post on every topic. Normally, I enjoy doing this as it keeps me engaged in the Duck fandom out there. But this is what repeat topics look like to me. Writer A says the B12 is going to...., According to writer B, the B12 is going to...., Writer C says it's a done deal that the B12 is going to.... You get the point.

Most of these writers are just posting whatever they can to get easy clicks from frustrated fans. Rumors need no sources and can generate endless clicks with click bait headlines.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think we all have our own axes that always want grinding. I know I’ve got mine. It’s just up to each of us to control the impulse.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/7/2023 at 2:20 PM, Washington Waddler said:

I think we all have our own axes that always want grinding. I know I’ve got mine. It’s just up to each of us to control the impulse.

What I've learned over the years?  Some people cannot control themselves...it is sometimes an OCD issue that does not have a solution.  In those cases--I give them plenty of opportunity to change, and when they can't--I have to ban them for the good of the forum and majority. 

We are not here to be vented upon, and serve as their therapists couch...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Some people cannot control themselves...it is sometimes an OCD issue that does not have a solution.

There’s a fine line between a psychological disorder being a condition for responsible awareness, and when it crosses over into becoming an excuse for the behavior.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Find dead horse. Beat dead horse until tender. Season with lemon butter, and repeat until Luckeyduck has had enough !

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Please, banish Dennis Dodd al the way to Siberia without an overcoat.

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:08 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Yeah, I’ve spent a lot of my reading time biting my tongue to not respond or to not even read the posts on “how awful is the PAC-10-12 and how wonderful is the B1G.”

Can’t wait for the contract to be signed and the season to start so we can talk about our Beloved Ducks. 

The B1G is so wonderful that without poaching the LA schools the B1G's new media deal would be $45 to $40M for Rutgers and Ohio State. Ooops! This may well be repetitive on my part but compared to the SEC the B1G deal is not that big of a deal.