Jon Joseph

Phil Steele's Preseason Top 40

Phil is often wrong, UW was his 'Surprise Team' in 2022, a big mistake courtesy of noted scholar Jimmy Lake, but never in doubt. His college football preseason magazine is as good as it gets for detailed team-by-team coverage.

No surprise to see 6 SEC teams, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, A+M, Tennessee, and Ole Miss in the top 25 and Kentucky at 35 in the top 40. It sure is nice to see 5 Pac-12 teams, USC, UW, OREGON, Utah, and Oregon State in the top 25 along with UCLA at 28.

IMO, these teams are overrated. 2. Clemson, I think the Tigers win the ACC again but suffer at least 2 losses including at home versus Notre Dame and at least one of the games vs FSU, Miami, and NC State. 3. Michigan - I see a loss on the road at Penn State and Ohio State turning the tables back on the Wolverines. 8. FSU -This season's preseason media darling that I think will be punched in the mouth in the opener vs 9. LSU. 12. A+M. I've seen this movie before. 13. Wisconsin. I do believe Luke Fickell was an outstanding hire but I don't see this much improvement in year one.

IMO, these teams are underrated. 15. OREGON - OK, so I'm a homer, so what? 5. Ohio State. I see a Final 4 berth for the Buckeyes. 9. LSU. I see the Tigers repeating as SEC W champs. 19. Tennessee. Other than for Georgia the SEC E is not all that and I see the Vols outscoring most of their opponents and going 10-2 or 9-3. 20. Oklahoma. With the Sooners roster talent in the B12, I see a bounce back in 2023. 29. K State. I think K State will be in the mix for back-to-back B12 titles. 39. Texas Tech. Joey McGuire has the Red Raiders on the rise and TT misses Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in 2023. 

Your thoughts?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yep...Phil loves us....

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

So what!

Indeed.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree......I also believe USC is over rated. They have a great QB, fine receivers...but their OL did not improve much and having watched all their games.....how many times can Williams get lucky until somebody takes him down hard. The DL is also not much better. While the schedule is 1.5x over last year. They will be a good team, but elite....nah.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't look at Ryan Day in the same light as Urban Meyer, since he lost to MariØ at home. I think Michigan rules this rivalry and tosu fades under Day.

I think Riley at sc is soft too, and there will be teams who punch his team in the mouth and they won't respond. 

Miami moving up to 30, maybe.

Seeing the dawgs ahead of our Ducks makes me wanna......

jim-carrey-throw-up.gif

• Applause 1

Too bad, so sad.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

In his 2023 preseason rankings, Phil Steele has Alabama Football ranked No. 4, behind Georgia, Clemson and Michigan, and one...

On 7/8/2023 at 7:37 PM, fred flintstone said:

I agree......I also believe USC is over rated. They have a great QB, fine receivers...but their OL did not improve much and having watched all their games.....how many times can Williams get lucky until somebody takes him down hard. The DL is also not much better. While the schedule is 1.5x over last year. They will be a good team, but elite....nah.  

SC. The ESPN answer is Four! Back to School with this projection. Trojans are getting too much respect. Ducks at 11 are in the ESPN FPI mix.

WWW.ESPN.COM

View the 2023 College Football power index on ESPN. The FPI is the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the...

On 7/9/2023 at 10:02 AM, Haywarduck said:

Can't look at Ryan Day in the same light as Urban Meyer, since he lost to MariØ at home. I think Michigan rules this rivalry and tosu fades under Day.

I think Riley at sc is soft too, and there will be teams who punch his team in the mouth and they won't respond. 

Miami moving up to 30, maybe.

Seeing the dawgs ahead of our Ducks makes me wanna......

jim-carrey-throw-up.gif

I am a bit more high on the Buckeyes in 2023. tOSU gets Penn State in Columbus while Michigan trips to Happy Valley.  Unlike the Wolverines, Ohio State does have an OOC opponent with a heartbeat, Notre Dame.

Well......

The huskies ranked ahead of OBD's doesn't feel right. Like JJ, I am a homer.

I wish usuck would be ranked #2, behind the real Dawgs. That way their fall would be more epic. Having to play both uw and the Ducks this season will be more challenging for the traitors. Unless the usuck defense steps up a few teams will put 50 plus on the board.

OBD's schedule sets up nice for a run to the CFP. They should face at least 5 ranked teams (including PAC Title Game).

With the improved talent on the D coming together the Ducks should be 11-1 heading into the title game. Yes the PAC has proven, exceptional QB's at most schools. The D must get after them, causing chaos and turnovers. If they do? Then...

This is the year for our Ducks. We have a proven 5th year starting QB with exceptional talent all around him....Bo is a leader and now is the time.

GO DUCKS......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

I know I’m repeating myself but if Williams goes down that will be the end of SC. Without him and his luck and heroics last season usuck looses or gets blown out of most of their games.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:52 PM, Just Ducky said:

I know I’m repeating myself but if Williams goes down that will be the end of SC. Without him and his luck and heroics last season usuck looses or gets blown out of most of their games.

And next season Caleb will be balling in the NFL while the Trojans schedule, without the Cali Scheduling Agreement, ramps up starting with LSU in Las Vegas where I think SC will roll craps on its way to a 9-3, 8-4 regular season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yada Yada Yada---I would put all my retirement into an LSU vs USC game. No way is USC that good and either is Penn St  of which Im a fan of the Lions. Notre Dame as usual is over rated. Same Ole Same Ole . And-----Dont count Nick and Bama out just yet, I think they are better than Michigan.