Pennsylvania Duck

What’s Become of McArthur Court?

The historic arena came to be synonymous with UO, but what’s going on with it now?

It was an experience nobody that attended a game at McArthur Court would ever forget. When the crowd got loud and raucous, the old arena would actually shake from the ground up.

Sitting in the upper levels, you could feel the suspensions swaying. Down in the Pit Crew, the stands, and even the floor itself, would rock with movement. There were no impressive LED jumbotrons, light shows, luxury suites, or state-of-the-art sound systems.

It was just an old arena that received all of its energy from the fans themselves.

Now, of course, the Ducks play in an arena that would be more expected of a university that prides itself on cutting-edge technology and eye-popping facilities. It can still be a rocking venue, but it’s not quite the same.

So while Matthew Knight Arena welcomes Oregon’s indoor teams as well as a slew of other entertainment spectacles, what’s old Mac Court doing while it sits quietly on University Ave across from the old cemetery as it always has?

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

The historic arena came to be synonymous with UO, but what’s going on with it now?

And where is the ivy growing up the sides of the building? Maybe Charles can rent Mac for the USC get together? 

Get a large TV and have a USC overflow viewing party sponsored by FishDuck. I know I have way too many crazy ideas!

Maybe Charles ends up making some money?

I'm torn between "letting it go" to holding one of the exhibition games there each year.

Although I do like the idea of viewing parties there.

I've been inside though not for a game. It's an incredible space. 

But I'm not sure it is quite up to the safety regulations anymore. 

It would have been great if Matt court created a pit in honor of Mac but that doesn't help in creating a multi functional space which Matt and other modern arenas are.

Grateful Dead x2, Frank Zappa x2, Willie Nelson, Boston, Jackson Browne, The Clash and many more...

That's how I remember Mac Court!

• Great post! 1

On 7/18/2023 at 11:21 AM, David Marsh said:

But I'm not sure it is quite up to the safety regulations anymore. 

Yep.  Liability issues, but a good thought for a party!

Mr. FishDuck

I actually think the coolest thing it could be used for is the OSAA championships, get it out of Portland at their horrible venues and put it back in Mac Court where you had actual crowds and actual passion.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Hosting it in Eugene doesn't cater to Portland.  I can't see 6A or 5A being in Eugene, but 4A and below would make more sense.  It is more centralized.  I would also think Bend should host the smaller classification as well.  They are really centralized.

IMO the two worst ideas for venues are putting the 4A championships at Forest Grove HS, and the Volleyball championships at Liberty HS, both deserve better than being put in random high schools, they deserve to be at actual universities.  They both have large gyms, but it doesn't feel very special.

Not everything has to be catered to Portland, Eugene represents a nice balance for the teams down south instead of traveling 5 hours up north.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/18/2023 at 11:26 AM, anyotherduck said:

Grateful Dead x2, Frank Zappa x2, Willie Nelson, Boston, Jackson Browne, The Clash and many more...

Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and Bill Clinton playing the saxophone on a campaign stint in 1992.

I've long thought that Mac Court should sadly be torn down and made into a combination of education/research facilities (UO does not even have an engineering program) and dorms/student housing. Talk about a waste of prime land, I'd say. 

• Oh no! 1