Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon Beach Volleyball Players: Treatment That Could Violate Title IX

The team practices and plays home games in a city park. The players, who do not receive athletic scholarships, have had to use a public restroom with no doors on the stalls.

At times, they’ve driven hundreds of miles for games and stayed three or four to a room and had to share beds.

This isn’t a ragtag club sport but rather the varsity women’s beach volleyball team for the Oregon Ducks, in an athletic department with more than $153 million in annual revenue and some of the best sports facilities in the country.

The Oregonian/OregonLive interviewed more than a dozen former players and coaches, reviewed thousands of pages of public records and contacted experts in Title IX, the federal law that requires women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. According to legal experts, Oregon’s treatment of the team puts it perilously close, if not over the line, into violation of Title IX.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

According to legal experts, Oregon’s treatment of the team puts it perilously close, if not over the line, into violation of Title IX.

And why does Oregon even HAVE the sport? 

Title IX.

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

Just read the article. If the reporting is accurate the disparities are pretty damning. Yes, this program was made possible by Title IX but if you aren’t willing or able to run it in compliance with law and regulation then why do you have the program? Note I’m assuming this sport is not required by law. There is a larger issue in that it appears the entire Oregon sports program may not be in compliance with Title IX and that could mean serious problems for the sports we love. This larger possible non-compliance makes the initial problems surrounding women’s beach volleyball even more troubling. 

• Thumbs Up 3

This is troubling. 

(And I'm not even a fan or supporter of Title IX)

If you can't do it right, don't do it.

That's what I grew up hearing.

Also, common sense leadership would suggest doing better here.

I hope Oregon has some kind of valid reason for the seeming mistreatment.

I didn't realize that they had $0 financial assistance. They might as well be a club sport.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have watched beach volleyball once in my life. Think it was an Olympic event I was watching. Only watched for one reason and I am sure this reason violates title IX

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1

That was a disappointing read. Mullens, when he does make public speeches reminds all of us how Oregon strives to put the student athlete first.

If this article is true and these women wear the Oregon colors then its disgraceful and should be addressed. 

My donations arent just for football and i expect public officials to answer questions when called upon.

How on earth would Mullens risk TITLE 1X compliance so blatantly.

Would really like a response so we could hear the other side of this story.....

• Thumbs Up 4

Bill Oram: Oregon Ducks could cut corners with beach volleyball team because it’s beach volleyball. And that is exactly the problem

Come on, it’s just beach volleyball.

That’s surely what the defenders of Oregon athletics are saying this week, after an exhaustive investigation by The Oregonian/OregonLive revealed just how neglectful the university has been of its lowest-funded program relative to its more prestigious sports.

But character, as they say, is what you do when no one is looking. And the fact that the University of Oregon pinches pennies with a program most Ducks fans likely never knew existed is what makes this so disappointing.

Institutions cut corners in the shadows because that is where they can get away with it.

The Oregonian/OregonLive found that even though the NCAA allots six beach volleyball scholarships per school, Oregon’s team is the only program at any public university in the Power Five conferences not to fund scholarships for its athletes.

In any sport.

That is a tough fact for Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens to defend.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The reason institutions like UO athletics cut corners in the shadows is because that is where they can get away with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lawyers request meeting with University of Oregon president regarding ‘discrimination against women athletes’

Lawyers retained by members of the University of Oregon’s beach volleyball team and women’s club rowing team are requesting a meeting with UO president John Karl Scholz or the school’s general counsel to discuss what they say is discrimination against women athletes and potential athletes in violation of Title IX.

The lawyers said that if need be, they will file a lawsuit.

Arthur H. Bryant of Bailey & Glasser, LLP, sent a three-page letter to Scholz Tuesday afternoon outlining claims of the school’s Title IX noncompliance.

One of the country’s leading attorneys specializing in Title IX, Bryant cites an investigative report published last month by The Oregonian/OregonLive detailing the disparate treatment of players on the Oregon beach volleyball team, which has never received athletic scholarship funding in its 10 years of existence and practices and plays rare home matches at Amazon Park.

See article for more details...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Arthur H. Bryant of Bailey & Glasser, LLP, sent a three-page letter to Scholz Tuesday afternoon outlining claims of the school’s Title...

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the uniforms.😇

I didn't read the article so my comment is sort of meta....but I don't see how Title IX can remain status quo when the it's Golden Goose (football) is undergoing a sea change that demands the value of the players is recognized and compensated at a market level.

Title IX is a benefit for student athletes paid for by revenues generated by the efforts of football players, and to a lesser extent, men's basketball, in the main.

If those players deserve to be compensated for their value, then more of those revenues will be needed to pay for the increased expenses.

Chip Kelly has been hinting at this for 3 years.....