Notalot

Colorado Buffaloes Stampede

APNEWS.COM

Big 12 presidents and chancellors have voted unanimously to accept Colorado as a new member, clearing the way for the school to leave the Pac-12 and rejoin the conference.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Buffaloes appear to be ramping up efforts towards a return to the conference they helped found decades ago

The earthquake is rumbling.

Colorado has been swirling in their own poop pool for quite some time now. Poor leadership I guess.

• Go Ducks! 1

My Bad for calling out a poster who saw this coming yesterday. The Pac-10 sky is falling in Boulder. 

SC opens the wallet after going a decade on the cheap and bolts. Ditto CU. To the B12? in this case. Unless the media deal is a complete loser this is at best a lateral move. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Three things the Pac-12 needs to do in order to survive Colorado to the Big 12

Colorado making the jump to the Big 12 has potential to be the nail in the coffin.

One year removed from USC and UCLA announcing their intentions to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten, Colorado is now set to be leaving the conference for the Big 12. 

A move that not only takes the wind out of whatever momentum the Pac-12 had going in their media rights negotiations, but could be a domino that ends up contributing to the collapse of the conference all together. The reason for this being the fact that whenever the Pac-12 expansion was discussed, the conference made it very clear they were focused on their media rights deal first.

Something that makes sense if there were signs of progress, but as of last week when Colorado asked to see numbers there were none. This news has sent the college football world into a frenzy, which is why I've decided to break down the three things that the Pac-12 absolutely must do in order to survive.

To access the rest of the article, click here.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

but as of last week when Colorado asked to see numbers there were none.

If this is truth and not self justification by Colorado or a deliberate lie then the PAC is dead. 

• Yikes! 1

This is really looking bad now.  With CU leaving and a rumor of another team leaving, the iffy media deal definitely just got worse to non-existent. My cup is half empty. I think this is the end of the PAC.

• Yikes! 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:23 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Three things the Pac-12 needs to do in order to survive Colorado to the Big 12

Colorado making the jump to the Big 12 has potential to be the nail in the coffin.

One year removed from USC and UCLA announcing their intentions to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten, Colorado is now set to be leaving the conference for the Big 12. 

A move that not only takes the wind out of whatever momentum the Pac-12 had going in their media rights negotiations, but could be a domino that ends up contributing to the collapse of the conference all together. The reason for this being the fact that whenever the Pac-12 expansion was discussed, the conference made it very clear they were focused on their media rights deal first.

Something that makes sense if there were signs of progress, but as of last week when Colorado asked to see numbers there were none. This news has sent the college football world into a frenzy, which is why I've decided to break down the three things that the Pac-12 absolutely must do in order to survive.

To access the rest of the article, click here.

Good thoughts a day late and more than a few dollars short. Add SDSU, CO ST, and SMU and you are adding programs with small football stadiums. Teams that do not draw viewers. UNLV would at least add an NFL football stadium. But how much money will the addition of any of these schools drop to Oregon's bottom line? Hawaii? Come on Man!

The conference would be a patchwork quilt and P5 #5 with a bullet. Mullens already has Oregon playing at Boise and Utah State down the road. What kind of TV audience against G5 teams draw? Bob Bowlsby and the B12 beat the Pac to the expansion and media deal punch. IMO, Oregon would be far better off taking a media deal haircut to join the B1G.

On 7/27/2023 at 7:41 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

This is really looking bad now.  With CU leaving and a rumor of another team leaving, the iffy media deal definitely just got worse to non-existent. My cup is half empty. I think this is the end of the PAC.

I agree. If the media deal was a month off, it is now six months off. Colorado told Kliavkoff they needed to see media figures and he either couldn’t provide them, or refused. Not sure which is worse. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Whew! 1

I am definitely concerned, but I will wait until I see the media deal.  Colorado leaving certainly is a huge perception issue, but they have been meh for football and in Men's and Women's basketball they won exactly 2 NCAA tournament games each since joining the PAC.  Quality wise Colorado has done next to nothing for the PAC.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Time to pile on. Here is the latest from Bleacher Report. It is rumored that Utah, Arizona and Arizona State could be the next to leave.

• Oh no! 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:41 AM, Tandaian said:

Quality wise Colorado has done next to nothing for the PAC.

Besides the Denver market. 

But agreed that Colorado hasn't been terribly good for the conference's brand. They've had one good football season since joining... Two if you invite pandemic season that was trending well. 

Colorado may want to be a bigger fish in a depleted pond. BYU isn't Oregon or Washington. I think the they are thinking they can be relevant again if they join the big-12. 

It's still a significant blow to the PAC but Colorado has also been on the eastern edge of the conference and I think they are also tired of the travel costs. 

Which probably doesn't bode well for the LA schools and their travel cost fatigue. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:23 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Time to pile on. Here is the latest from Bleacher Report. It is rumored that Utah, Arizona and Arizona State could be the next to leave.

I'd be shocked if the big-12 has the money to pay them. 

But they have seemed to scrounge together some money to pay Colorado. So who knows. 

Edited by David Marsh
  • Yikes! 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

"when Colorado asked to see numbers there were none."

If this is true, then it's piss poor leadership by the Pac-12's commissioner.  It makes sense not to share the numbers and deal framework publicly but I was under the impression that Kliavkoff was providing his bosses (the University Presidents) with frequent updates.  With all of the uncertainty and rumors, did he believe that keeping them close to the vest until there was a final agreement was the right play?

Colorado has done nothing for the Pac-12 since they joined the conference. 

Edited by OregonDucks

Oregon and Washington 'hold all of the cards' in Pac-12 realignment talks, per ESPN

The topic of further conference realignment has been held at bay over the past several months with the claim that any further movement was only “rumors” or “speculation.” It felt like water was building up and the dam holding it all back was starting to crack with every day that passed without a new TV deal for the Pac-12.

On Wednesday evening, the dam was breached with the report that the Colorado Buffaloes are fleeing for the Big-12, a move that will be voted on and likely announced later this week.

Now the biggest question is how extensive the damage will be, and how many teams end up leaving the Pac-12 before the dam can be rebuilt.

For fans of the Oregon Ducks and Washington Huskies, that’s a pertinent question that many fans in their own area are split on. Both schools have aspirations of making it to the “big boy’s table” and moving to the Big Ten to play alongside USC, UCLA, Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.

But will this Colorado detraction be enough movement to get them the leverage that they need to jump ship out west? Or does the Pac-12 still have enough juice to try and smooth the surface and keep its nine teams in place?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With the topic of conference realignment back on the table, the Oregon Ducks and Washington Huskies “hold all of the cards” per...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The news of Colorado's defection to the Big 12 was as unsurprising as it was harrowing for the Pac-12. Now George Kliavkoff has a...

Not to pile on but amen to this take.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/27/2023 at 1:04 PM, cartm25 said:

I can think of another person who's thoughts are a day late and dollar short: "Like USC and UCLA, Colorado was apparently not that committed." - Canzano

Other reporters (who shall not be named) have been warning about this for months. Looks like GK got duped again!!

I'm not sure the P12 is in a position to be picky now; that ship has sailed. Are we after "market" or "viewership"? UNLV is intriguing due to location. Boise State, Co. St, and SMU all averaged approximately the same viewership per game in 2022: between 300K-400K.

Another shameless plug for Boise State: Oregon State 2022 average viewership = ~600K, BSU 2022 average viewership ~350K, but when they played each other last year, that game drew 1.25M viewers, a full 300K above the sum of their averages. And this was the first game of the year before anyone knew Oregon State would be as good as they turned out to be.

I don't know who's fans drove the better-than-average turnout, but I think we're missing the regional/state rivalry/interest when discussing BSU compared to, say, SDSU. Could be completely wrong, but I don't imagine Oregon State vs. SDSU drawing 1.25M viewers.

Stated differently, I think there are market and viewership synergies that come with BSU (or general interest of people living in OR, WA, and ID) that are absent with SDSU.

Good take. But as of now, it's more than time for Oregon to think of itself and not the Pac-9 and the Larry-like continuing mismanagement. Adding a bunch of G5 schools will do nothing to improve the conference's national perception or to move it out of the P5 5 hole. 

First Kevin Warren and now the B12 Commish have played GK like a brass drum. Why would Oregon want to remain in a conference with GK as the so-called 'leader?' What can Oregon gain from affiliating with a bunch of G5 teams? 

There is a time if at all possible to abandon the ship and not continuing to believe that bailing water will keep the ship afloat. The iceberg has been struck. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Bill Oram: Good riddance to Colorado and its lousy football team but, uh, who is going to save the rest of the Pac-12?

Hey, Colorado, ya stinkin’ bovine bums, don’t let the door hit’cha in your hairy Rocky Mountain rumps.

But say, uh, maybe don’t let it close it all the way either?

Leave a crack of light for Oregon to Duck out, too.

And Oregon State. Won’t anyone think of the poor Beavs?

If there’s one wish from this forgotten little corner of the realignment world, it’s that wherever the Ducks and the Beavers end up, they be allowed to go there together.

But that probably makes me a bigger sucker than George Kliavkoff.

It all feels so naïve at this point.

The well-coiffed Kliavkoff declaring last week that the longer his conference waited for a TV deal the better the offers got. That the Big 12 poaching any schools from his conference was “not a concern.”

Ha! Fooled ’em good, didn’t they?

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

It's easy to pile on the Buffaloes for bolting, but George Kliavkoff's inability to land a media rights deal eroded the Pac-12's...

Of course, rumors will start flying around who that mystery school will be.

Pac-12 football: Who is the “mystery” program that could join Colorado?

To me, that means teams outside of Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. That leaves programs such as Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Cal, and Stanford. A lot of people are guessing Oregon.

That would be a huge move for the Ducks and that could very well be the case, but the “surprise” factor makes me think it’s not Oregon because that’s what everyone is guessing. Washington is also another popular guess. But if I were a betting man, I’d bet that we may see those two in the Big Ten in the coming years if the Pac-12 completely falls apart.

A surprise team could be Oregon State or Cal or Stanford. All three of those would surprise me.

In the end, Oregon is a strong contender and so is Washington, especially if both of those programs are worried about riding a sinking ship.

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

Another offseason, another wild round of realignment rumors. This time, it's Pac-12 football that looks to be disbanding amid uncertainties in the con...