Pennsylvania Duck

QUAAACK! 2025 QB Akili Smith Jr. is a Duck

Akili Smith's Son, A 4-Star Quarterback Recruit, Announces Commitment

Akili Smith Jr. is following in his father's footsteps. 

A four-star quarterback out of San Diego (Calif.) Lincoln, Smith announced his commitment to Oregon Monday, the same program where his father Akili was an All-American in the late 1990s.

"I’ve always wanted to go to Oregon," Smith told 247Sports' Greg Biggins. "Ever since I was young, that’s all my dad had me wearing, Oregon gear and watching Oregon football.

To read more about this commitment, click here.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Great get!

Love keeping the family together. 

Keep it rollin' coach Lanning!

Oregon already holds a top-10 recruiting class for 2024, and the Ducks are wasting no time trying to improve on that ranking for the next group. For the second time in as many days, the Ducks have landed a commitment from a Rivals250 prospect in the 2025 class.

Monday, that honor went to legacy quarterback 

Akili Smith, Jr. who announced a pledge to his father's alma mater after participating in the Saturday Nigh Live event over the weekend in Eugene.
OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Oregon landed its second SNL commitment Monday when legacy quarterback Akili Smith, Jr. announced his pledge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Four-Star '25 QB Akili Smith Jr. commits to Oregon, breaks down decision

San Diego (Calif.) Lincoln junior quarterback Akili Smith Jr. just announced he will play his college ball at Oregon.

It always seemed like more a matter of when, not if, that Smith would commit to the Ducks. His father is former Oregon All-American QB Akili Smith Sr and the younger Smith was raised on Duck football.

Although he’s only going in to his junior year, Smith decided he was ready to pull the trigger and end the recruiting process.

“I’ve always wanted to go to Oregon,” Smith said.”Ever since I was young, that’s all my dad had me wearing, Oregon gear and watching Oregon football.

“Saying all that, it was still a business decision for me and my dad really didn’t push me to pick Oregon. He wanted this to be my decision and I looked at a few other schools really hard. When I evaluated everyone equally, Oregon was the best option for me.”

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon lands a commitment from one of the elite signal callers in the '25 class.

This is great news. I fully wish Akili, the legacy of a great Duck, happiness, success, and a great UO education.

Thanks for giving us good news in the current climate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where does Akili Smith Jr. rank among highest-rated QB recruits in UO history?

The outlandish success stemming from the Oregon Ducks Saturday Night Live camp over the weekend continues to come to the forefront, and Dan Lanning and his staff landed a massive commitment on Monday to show for it.

4-star 2025 quarterback Akili Smith Jr. announced his commitment to Oregon, following in the footsteps of his father, Akili Smith, who won the Pac-12 Player of the Year for the Ducks in 1998 and went on to become the No. 3 overall selection in the 1999 NFL Draft.

Smith is the fourth member of Oregon’s 2024 class, which is now one of the best in the nation.

The Ducks have had great success recruiting the QB position over the past decade, so we wanted to look at where Smith ranks among the top-rated passers to come to Oregon in school history.

Here is where the Oregon legacy player stands...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Akili Smith Jr. is rated as the No. 5 QB in the 2025 class. Here is where he stands among the top-rated QBs to ever commit to the...

Everything is right in the world. 💚

this is one I've been hoping for, not just because I remember his dad playing for Oregon, but because I think he is going to be very, very good! Four star sophs often end up being five star seniors. I see that happening with Akili. 

He has all the tools needed, size, arm strength, mobility... he looks great on film already. I have little doubt he'll be one of the top two or three QBs coming out his senior year. 

Welcome aboard young man.

Loved watching his dad...

Akili Smith_John Giustina.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck