Autzen Magic

Will the Oregon Legislature Meddle in Ducks' Move to the B1G?

WWW.OPB.ORG

One week after the University of Oregon announced it’s departure to the Big Ten, people are still grappling with the news and its unclear impacts on the state.

Oh snap, we forgot to ask mommy dearest what sandbox we can play in. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Never gonna happen......Phil Knight just calls the governor and says......I've been thinking of moving my HQ to Texas. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m sorry l can’t stop laughing.

• Applause 1

Mandates for more taxes to offset the loss of revenue for Oregon State?  A tax on every ticket sold at Autzen?

“The difference between death and taxes is death doesn’t get worse every time Congress meets.”  Will Rogers

Will Rogers

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

'Nothing is more dangerous than a legislative body in session."

image.thumb.gif.88b937386d2362f0a6292cd33e5ba855.gif

Bill Oram: Oregon legislator blasts Oregon Ducks’ expected move to Big Ten, asks, ‘What the hell are we doing?’

Evans, D-Monmouth, proposed a bill during this year’s legislative session that would have required state universities to receive legislative approval if they wanted to change conference affiliation. The bill died in committee after receiving a hearing.

This nonsense that a few OSU grads in legislature are crying the blues about Oregon leaving for the Big Ten, wanting to have a hearing, face the same death sentence as Evans bill did

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Rep. Paul Evans, D-Monmouth, proposed a bill last winter that would have required legislative approval for state universities to change conference affiliation.

Readers respond: Stop the OSU pity party

Can we please put a pin in the pity party for the Oregon State Beavers football program and stop placing blame on the Oregon Ducks for the Beavers’ current lot in life? (“Oregon State mailbag: Why should Beaver fans care any longer, will coaches, athletes leave?” Aug. 8). The Ducks took the best deal available to them at the time in a crumbling Pac-12 conference. It’s not the Ducks’ fault that the Beavers are nationally irrelevant and the Ducks have opportunities that the Beavers don’t. The Beavers have had two winning seasons in the last nine years and have gone to two lower-tiered bowl games in the same stretch. Why would anyone think it would add value to a major conference? Does that really make them an attractive football program to a major conference? No Beavers, it doesn’t. And it’s not the Ducks’ fault that they’re often winners both in the conference and on a national scale. So stop throwing the Ducks under the bus as “deserters” from the state football program. 

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Letters to the Editor can be submitted to letters@oregonian.com with full name and place of residence.

“They’re doing it for money and they need to own that.”

Has anyone said any different?  That we're moving to the B1G for

academic reasons?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

PSU, OSU and UO all made an agreement in the early 2000's they would govern their schools their own way.  The barn door was opened and all the animals got out.  I'm not sure why a few local officials think they can get the animals back in the barn, especially when 2 of the 3 schools are fine with how things are.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The amount of money that the UO gets from the legislature has been dropping as a percentage of revenue for decades.  The last time a legislator tried to influence a UO policy of some sort it was Rep. Mitch Greenlick (I forget his particular beef) I want to say that it as less then 10% of the UO academic budget was state-funded.   It is likely less today....a main reason why tuition and fees have gone up.

Point is, if they try to racketeer some dough for the Beavs, I could see the school offering to reject the state funds and go private.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

The amount of money that the UO gets from the legislature has been dropping as a percentage of revenue for decades.  The last time a legislator tried to influence a UO policy of some sort it was Rep. Mitch Greenlick (I forget his particular beef) I want to say that it as less then 10% of the UO academic budget was state-funded.   It is likely less today....a main reason why tuition and fees have gone up.

Yes, it was 10% (or less) a long time ago, and as far as I know has not increased since that time.

• Thanks 1

I felt bad for the State schools of Oregon, and Washington. Now it's getting to a point where I just want them to stop whining. Getting politicians involved? It's already dirty enough, now you want to drag politicians into it? Shove off.

I'm sad college football is becoming all about the money. I'm also sad when after I pay my bills that I don't have as much funny money as I'd want. That's life man. Some are born into better positions, some have to work to get there. Life is unfair. Don't tell me you haven't discovered that yet.

I'll tell you what, next time you feel slighted and want to protest to the government to intervene. Go to another country, see how children without running water feel about your plight. Get over yourselves.

Oregon has Phil Knight, they have great facilities, and a desirable brand. Washington is a much bigger school, in a much bigger city, with a better history. Is it fair that Ohio is in the MAC making a million a year, while Ohio State is in the B1G, making seventy times that?

• Thumbs Up 1