Pennsylvania Duck

Fall Camp: Day 14 Scrimmage

Head Coach Dan Lanning meets with the media following Day 14 of Fall Camp

Everything Dan Lanning said after Oregon's second fall scrimmage - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Below is a complete transcript of everything Dan Lanning said in his post-scrimmage press conference.

Defense gets upper hand in Oregon's final scrimmage of fall camp

While details from Saturday's scrimmage inside Autzen may have been sparse, head coach Dan Lanning indicated that the defense had the better day.

Oregon coach Dan Lanning chose to keep details from Saturday's second and final scrimmage of fall sparse, but the through-line for most of his post-scrimmage practice revolved around a defense that took its game up another level.

Last weekend's scrimmage saw the offense control play, but this time around the other side fired back.

"The defense really had the better hand for most of the day today. We're playing a really physical brand of ball," Lanning said. "I thought last week the offense came out and drove the ball early in the scrimmage, and then the defense recovered in the second half. Today it was a little bit the other way."

247SPORTS.COM

While details from Saturday's scrimmage inside Autzen may have been sparse, head coach Dan Lanning indicated that the defense...

The transcript of the Lanning press conference is a perfect example of why I don’t go to them anymore. A ton of coach speak, a ton of blah blah, where he tells you nothing, and then, in many cases, will issue questions back at the reporters.

You got very little from his answers. The offense did well at times, and the defense did well at times!

What revelations!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

If the defense had the better of it this late, with the talent on the offense........that is really good news for Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The transcript of the Lanning press conference is a perfect example of why I don’t go to them anymore. A ton of coach speak, a ton of blah blah, where he tells you nothing, and then, in many cases, will issue questions back at the reporters.

You got very little from his answers. The offense did well at times, and the defense did well at times!

What revelations!

I was just thinking that.  The reporters don't get to report anymore either.  We will only see what this team is when the games are played.  We did get a glimpse from Spring.  And I really liked what I saw.  Now it is a matter of how much they improve as the season goes on. 

I know we were disappointed over the end of the regular season, but frankly, after the Georgia blowout, I expected that much sooner.

So I am encouraged because Lanning replaced the chaff and got himself some wheat.  Now we will see how much he learned from last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we compare what happened last year with this year the defense must be vastly improved. If the D is stopping a very potent offense in practice that is an encouraging sign to me. 

It is true Charles that DL gives us very little in his press conference but I think that is becoming the norm. Seems like we get better stuff from the assistants and that’s might be where the reporters should spend more time.

Can’t wait till the first game so we can see for ourselves.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Like 1

'There is a standard'; Ducks offensive line not feeling pressure to live up to 2022 unit

The biggest question surrounding the 2023 Oregon Ducks is how the offensive line will fare. Oregon had one of the top blocking units a season ago, but most of those players have graduated and moved on. However, while there is a lot of inexperience on the O-line, there isn’t a lack of talent.

Many of the projected starters for the upcoming season were top recruits in their respective classes.

On Pac-12 Media Day, Dan Lanning mentioned how impressed he’s been by the O-line’s commitment to building that experience early so that they are still primed and ready to go in the latter stages of the season.

Recently, Ducks’ O-line coach A’lique Terry, had a lot to say about the differences between this year’s O-line group and last year’s, as well as what goes into preparing for the upcoming season.

“I wouldn’t call it pressure, but there is a standard,” Terry said. “We say to ourselves that other people are going to put pressure on us, but we’re going to hold a standard ourselves that we want to keep it at.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“Other people are going to put pressure on us, but we’re going to hold a standard ourselves that we want to keep it at.”

I would think the defense is at an advantage against their own offense. If anything it is a great challenge for the offense to succeed against a defense who knows you very well.

What I would love to hear is how the backup qb's are developing. Maybe we hear about how some freshman are coming along, but nothing. 

Lanning seems to adhere to the idea the the only advantage to disclosing anything goes to the opponent. I get it when we open with Georgia, but against Portland State! It also didn't seem to help too much against Georgia, but the stonewall continues.

upset.gif

Family BBQ after scrimmage...Click to enlarge pics

• Like 1

What revelations!

Thank you Charles!

Do not pay much attention to anything Lanning has to say.

If you really wanted to know how he felt you would have to secretly record what was said at the post scrimmage coaches’ meeting, where they speak candidly.

So tired of coach speak, though I acknowledge that it must be done.

What did we really learn?

Not much.

Please……let the games begin!

a ton of blah blah, where he tells you nothing,

Rasheed Wallace had the perfect answer, no matter what question he was asked: "Both teams played hard".

Pics from scrimmage...Click on pic to enlarge

• Like 1

What factors into choosing Oregon's starting five offensive linemen?

How will Oregon land on its starting five for the offensive line? OL coach A'lique Terry gives some insight into that discussion.

247SPORTS.COM

How will Oregon land on its starting five for the offensive line? OL coach A'lique Terry gives some insight into that discussion.

Junior Angilau back to full health, ready to compete for starting OL spot at Oregon

While the Oregon Ducks were figuring out how they were going to replace almost an entire starting offensive line this past offseason following the departure of four starters, they looked to the transfer portal to bring in talented individuals who up the level of competition.

Former Texas Longhorns OL Junior Angilau is one of the linemen that Dan Lanning chose to bring in. However, his ability to compete for a starting spot on the line was a bit delayed as he recovered from a knee injury suffered last year.

Angilau didn’t participate in spring football with the Ducks, but after extensive rehab over the summer, he is now back to full health and ready to contribute.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Junior Angilau back to full health, ready to compete for starting OL spot at Oregon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aaron Fentress doesn't like Lanning not giving answers...defiant?

Click on "Show More" to see entire post

This is what Coaches do these days, and Lanning caught on.  It does not matter if it was Bellotti, Chip, Taggart, Cristobal or Dano....scrimmage reports leave me with...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck