FishDuck Article

Will Stein’s Oregon Offense: Empty Diamond QB Draw RPO

One way that offenses can be efficient at a high rate is to consistently move the chains in short-yardage situations, and that is no different in Coach Will Stein’s system. One of his favorite plays to keep the chains moving, while commanding the UTSA Roadrunners offense, was the Empty Diamond QB Draw RPO — another play Duck faithful can expect ...

FISHDUCK.COM

One way that offenses can be efficient at a high rate is to consistently move the chains in short-yardage situations, and that is no different in...
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Coach Eric for bringing these analysis articles to help us understand the Will Stein offense.   It takes a lot of time and research.  Your efforts are appreciated.

I know many Duck fans will be leary of seeing QB Bo run between the tackles.  But I like the 3 options.  I can see this as a good play for QB Thompson and other back ups to use. 

Easy to count defenders and then execute.  I hope he chooses plays for Thompson that are not only safe but give him a chance to utilize his athletic talent.  I can see him attacking the defense with this draw.

• Thumbs Up 3

Looked like in the first instance the short yardage pass to the outside was open, but they needed more yardage.

The second play the first down was inside where the DB was so the choice was the quick pass.

Great stuff, and nice to know there is some creativity in short yardage situations. This one should be easy to see, and say, 'that's the empty diamond qb draw RPO.' Thanks Coach Boles I'll feel like a genius.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for another great and instructional article, Coach.

Question:  Can an additional RPO exist, namely the qb sprinting left toward the single receiver?  This would seem to put extreme pressure on the db (and outside lb).

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still not a fan of an empty set. But if this play keeps the QB clean and healthy I'm for it. I just like having a runningback back there to be a threat to run the ball. 

The biggest difference between the Ducks and the Roadrunners for this play in particular is that Oregon's offensive line is just going to be bigger and more pysical. I could see Nix running safely for 10 yards against most teams with this play because the offensive line is going to get to the second level and overwhelm the linebackers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love this play for the stress it puts on the defense.  With Bo’s reputation for running-I would think the opponent would move the safety up into the box to add a defender.

That would leave the slant, or a hitch-and-go wide open with the WR.

I would prefer seeing this on second or third down, and not fourth down, since there is a good chance of errors.

Love it!  Thanks Coach Boles!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/23/2023 at 9:23 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Coach Eric for bringing these analysis articles to help us understand the Will Stein offense.   It takes a lot of time and research.  Your efforts are appreciated.

I know many Duck fans will be leary of seeing QB Bo run between the tackles.  But I like the 3 options.  I can see this as a good play for QB Thompson and other back ups to use. 

Easy to count defenders and then execute.  I hope he chooses plays for Thompson that are not only safe but give him a chance to utilize his athletic talent.  I can see him attacking the defense with this draw.

I think an aspect that could put Duck fans at ease, regarding this play, is that the run option is the last option. By the time the QB gets that third option, the box should be fairly empty. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

Looked like in the first instance the short yardage pass to the outside was open, but they needed more yardage.

The second play the first down was inside where the DB was so the choice was the quick pass.

Great stuff, and nice to know there is some creativity in short yardage situations. This one should be easy to see, and say, 'that's the empty diamond qb draw RPO.' Thanks Coach Boles I'll feel like a genius.

I think in a short yardage situation, the screen could have picked up a couple yards. But the defense may play a short yardage situation differently than they do in this example. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, Mudslide said:

Thanks for another great and instructional article, Coach.

Question:  Can an additional RPO exist, namely the qb sprinting left toward the single receiver?  This would seem to put extreme pressure on the db (and outside lb).

Yeah, I don’t see why they couldn’t tag a number of different runs with the same passing options. 

On 8/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, David Marsh said:

I'm still not a fan of an empty set. But if this play keeps the QB clean and healthy I'm for it. I just like having a runningback back there to be a threat to run the ball. 

The biggest difference between the Ducks and the Roadrunners for this play in particular is that Oregon's offensive line is just going to be bigger and more pysical. I could see Nix running safely for 10 yards against most teams with this play because the offensive line is going to get to the second level and overwhelm the linebackers. 

Oregon’s OL will definitely be a difference-maker in these type of plays.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love these analytical scheme breakdowns on this site. always have and always will. Thanks to all who grace us with such content, in this case, Coach Boles!

i can’t believe it’s almost football season

🎉🎊🍾

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/24/2023 at 9:32 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I love these analytical scheme breakdowns on this site. always have and always will. Thanks to all who grace us with such content, in this case, Coach Boles!

i can’t believe it’s almost football season

🎉🎊🍾

I am very grateful for all the time studying and creating these analyses by Coach Boles.  I suspect we will have a whole lot more to break down this season, and with my new busy schedule--hope I can still do one on defense once in a while.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Um, Empty Diamond, ah Coach, what was that 3rd thing? 

image.gif.07872b6e3262a3075e55130ad339c779.gif

• Haha 1

You know I'm KIDDING, Coach. I love these illuminating takes. Thank you, Sir.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/24/2023 at 2:38 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Um, Empty Diamond, ah Coach, what was that 3rd thing? 

image.gif.07872b6e3262a3075e55130ad339c779.gif

Hahaha I’m sure they call it something much more digestible in their terminology.

• Thumbs Up 1