GatOrlando

Is Puddles related to Donald Duck?

A pretty cool history of how you guys got one of the most recognized mascot in the world.  Some of your earlier versions were pretty nightmare inducing. Like that Tree at Stanford. Heck that Purdue guy is freaky looking as well.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5kHkSMrcEjryAKYm7

image.png

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting!

When our mascot is a "speaker" at Daisy Ducks meetings, he talks only when he is not in the costume. He says that his official name is The Duck and that Puddles was the name of his predecessor, the actual waterfowl.

I still have a sweatshirt with The Duck in the fists-raised pose, and I've seen T-shirts at The Duck Store with that same picture. But as mentioned in the video, anything with that image can be sold only in Oregon.

I am, of course, biased, but I think Oregon has the best college mascot ever!

Edited by Annie
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, Annie said:

anything with that image can be sold only in Oregon.

I think that has been released.  And, previously it was limited to U of O stores, not the state.

On 8/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, Annie said:

Thanks for posting!

When our mascot is a "speaker" at Daisy Ducks meetings, he talks only when he is not in the costume. He says that his official name is The Duck and that Puddles was the name of his predecessor, the actual waterfowl.

I still have a sweatshirt with The Duck in the fists-raised pose, and I've seen T-shirts at The Duck Store with that same picture. But as mentioned in the video, anything with that image can be sold only in Oregon.

I am, of course, biased, but I think Oregon has the best college mascot ever!

I agree, him riding the motorcycle is one of the coolest intros in the sport. LSU has a live tiger, Georgia has a bulldog name Uga. I tried to petition having a live Gator at the Swamp, but it never took off. Something about insurance, or former Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer being afraid.

But I just saw that video, decided to ask my friends on here about it. Now I think Puddles is my favorite mascot. That tree still freaks me out though, Stanford needs to outlaw that thing. Stanford Cardinal=Freaky Tree?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/28/2023 at 2:15 AM, GatOrlando said:

But I just saw that video, decided to ask my friends on here about it. Now I think Puddles is my favorite mascot. That tree still freaks me out though, Stanford needs to outlaw that thing. Stanford Cardinal=Freaky Tree?

I agree.  Never understood Stanford Cardinals using a tree as a mascot.  So odd.

Everyone knows the Oregon Duck.  It is one of the most fun and recognizable mascots in sports.  Possibly my favorite in college football.  And now, Puddles is tops in the Big Ten conference.

HAWKEYESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

In a league full of great mascots, it’s time to reevaluate the situation after the four Pac-12 arrivals. Who are the Big Ten’s best mascots?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

It certainly didn’t take Our Beloved Duck long to reach the top of the BIG!

A year out and already at the top!  Is there any other mascot who ruled in two conferences?

• Thumbs Up 1

Stanford's mascot use to be an Indian, and we all know what happened to that. As far as their mascot, it's the Stanford Cardinal which is a color, and the tree, well it's Stanford. 

Just one picture on maybe why the mascot wasn't the best idea.

Unknown.jpeg

4.jpg

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:33 AM, Steven A said:

I think that has been released.  And, previously it was limited to U of O stores, not the state.

Come 2024, I believe Oregon will be the only team in the nation paying money to Disney and getting nothing in return. That's not Donald, that's Mickey Mouse.

image.gif.bada2d0352421bd9137fff5cb0386e9c.gif

On 8/28/2023 at 7:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

paying money to Disney

Is that a new development?

It was my understanding that we were allowed to use the Duck royalty-free after a picture emerged of Walt Disney wearing a U of O letter jacket with our Duck on it. 

• Great post! 1

On 8/28/2023 at 8:34 AM, NJDuck said:

I agree.  Never understood Stanford Cardinals using a tree as a mascot.  So odd.

Everyone knows the Oregon Duck.  It is one of the most fun and recognizable mascots in sports.  Possibly my favorite in college football.  And now, Puddles is tops in the Big Ten conference.

HAWKEYESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

In a league full of great mascots, it’s time to reevaluate the situation after the four Pac-12 arrivals. Who are the Big Ten’s best mascots?

Hoosier - no mascot? How about these 2 Hosers? (OOOps!)

image.gif.bc8b46e2f3e1220539d6399e4ba9773a.gif

I had always heard that there was a friendship between Walt Disney and one of our AD’s back in the day, and we were given rights to a modified Donald character.  This would have been some 70 years ago.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:05 PM, TexasDuck said:

I had always heard that there was a friendship between Walt Disney and one of our AD’s back in the day, and we were given rights to a modified Donald character.  This would have been some 70 years ago.  

I was around but like many things today I don't recall.

image.thumb.gif.706b06af9fd4416a4ad1c76a727c7685.gif

• Haha 2