cartm25

What Can We Learn From a Game Against PSU?

What small lessons can we learn at the conclusion of the game against PSU?

I say "small" lessons because I don't believe there will be any big or groundbreaking takeaways from this game; at least not positive ones.

Let me clarify my above statement so it's not interpreted as negative. In any game where one team has a significant advantage (i.e., the Ducks against PSU), IMO, only small positives can be gleaned, whereas, on the flip side, big worries can arise.

For example, if the Ducks win 63-0 with 5 sacks, my general conclusion will be "Good, that's what we should do, and with 5 sacks, that bodes well for more consistent pressure on QBs."

Alternatively, if the Ducks get very little pressure on the PSU QB, then that would be a BIG worry.

Not predicting any of the above, necessarily, but I am curious what things you're looking for in this game . . . big, small, positive, or negative?

I want to see a real QB2 show up. That’s my biggest concern.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yes, I want to see a dominant Defense. 

Besides that I want to see the O-line jelling. While I expect to see a lot of substitutions, I expect to see fewer on the O-line through the first 3 quarters because one week later they will need to be good, especially in communication and working as a unit. 

This will also be the only reason we may well see BOdacious in the second half. This will be the last "scrimmage" before going up against a real challenge. Things have to be clicking.

• Thumbs Up 1

PSU is ideal for the team getting on the same page in live action. Glorified scrimmage.

Focus should be on discipline, tackling fundamentals, cohesiveness on the O line. Get a feel for what they are trying to do and build some confidence and momentum.

Just an opportunity to work out the bugs imo. A chance to get film so the coaches can prepare properly for a competitive week 2.

Find out what possible weak links are present and get them fixed.

But most importantly... play some real football and have some fun.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What I like to watch for is how well the team executes - knowing that this is the 1st game of the season.  

Is the discipline there? Are assignments being executed? Do the new players exhibit knowledge of the playbook and is that playbook more than just the very basic (which can indicate how well the new players are adapting to the system)?  Is the intensity there throughout the game and will they dominate both lines of scrimmage?  Against PSU, they had better or game two in Lubbock might be a rocky one.

This is Year 2 of the Lanning era and fans should start seeing how his system is going to work, or not, going forward.  It's a good thing the Ducks aren't going into the Big 10 this year.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/31/2023 at 4:36 PM, Mic said:

It's a good thing the Ducks aren't going into the Big 10 this year.

There are a couple good teams in the B1G. Pac has 4 or 5 that can compete with anyone in the country. This year, the Pac is the second best conference in the country. 

B1G should be grateful Ducks aren't in yet. Or Fusky or uSuC for that matter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I want the difference in turnover margin to be greater than the total PSU score.

I also want the back-up qb's to have decent protection, and targets to throw too. I want to come away saying we might have somebody who can come in and finish a game this season. Maybe just maybe our backup could win a game.

I also would like to see Dowdell run for his first TD, with a stiff arm that makes me wonder if that was Derrick Henry.

Not much really.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/31/2023 at 5:28 PM, Haywarduck said:

I want the difference in turnover margin to be greater than the total PSU score.

Now that's a tall order!  

I should also mention I'd like to see fewer penalties which kinda relates to discipline above.  The Ducks have a history to too many penalties and a lot of us are hoping the Lanning era will see a change in that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to see defenders in position, no missed tackles, offensive line that keeps pressure off of Bo and Ty Thompson get the ball in the end-zone. That shouldn’t be too much to ask against PSU…

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What do I want to see?

Bombs.

Explosion running plays.

Sacks.

Turnovers created.

A dominant performance on both sides of the ball.

A new defense....the GREEN WALL.

Good Defense_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

And few penalties and even fewer injuries

• Let’s hope! 1