Charles Fischer

The Biggest Will Stein Surprise?

After watching the game, I just about choked when I saw him on the sideline in a huddle with the offense. He’s not up in the booth! Can you really see everything and plan it best that way?

I recognize they all have their own style, but this was a pretty big surprise to me. In the end, it’s all about results, and if that’s the way, he wants to do it…

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I am going to assume he has someone up in the booth feeding him info.  

On 9/3/2023 at 8:47 PM, Augduck said:

I am going to assume he has someone up in the booth feeding him info.  

Right.  A bunch of offensive analysts, but still--it is harder on the field.  When you have a newbie QB--I get it.  But with Bo?

Mr. FishDuck

I think Uncle Phil is in the booth.   Enuf said.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's all about the team... if they have great team work I am sure the OC can be sitting at home watching the game on the TV and call plays.

I wouldn't recommend that... but I think they have a well oiled machine on the offensive side of the ball.

On the defensive side I think they are still ironing out the details. I think that was part of the problem with PSU's scoring drive was that the box and the sideline weren't in sync yet. Keep in mind that it's not just the players on the field that need to work as a team but the coaches on the sidelines. This first game is big for them as well because they get to figure out what they can do better as well.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

If it works,  it works.

Some in the booth.

Some, like Chip, like the sideline.

As long as we work, I care not.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do believe that Bo doesn’t need a play caller. He’s been around long enough to call his own plays. Lots of factors to consider when calling plays but feel for the game might be the most important one.

• Thumbs Up 1

As if we did not have enough surprises from Stein:

1. Recruited three 4-Star QBs already.

2. Unleashed an offensive titan with tons of weapons.

3. Revealed a new Ty Thompson--so very welcome.

4. Calls plays from the sideline.

What else has he got up his sleeve?

Another great hire by Lanning?

The difference in the Oregon offense under Will Stein vs. Kenny Dillingham  - On3

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Steiney may want to go sleeveless in Lubbock.

Still a bit early to say but Stein seems to be turning out to be a good, possibly great hire. Even though he didn't start much at Louisville, playing behind Teddy Bridgewater, when he played he had a high QBR. He stuck on at Louisville to coach and that wouldn't have happened if he didn’t know his stuff.

He has been better than good at each subsequent coaching gig and he appears to be a QB whisperer if recruiting and Thompson's improvement have anything to do with him. Exciting to think what this offense can do when he takes the muzzle off and opens up the playbook.

Wyoming gave the TexTech D fits in that 2nd half and OT. Think what Bo, Bucky, Troy and TFerg could do behind the revamped O-line when Stein looses the hounds.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

After watching the game, I just about choked when I saw him on the sideline in a huddle with the offense. He’s not up in the booth! Can you really see everything and plan it best that way?

Charles, was Stein on the sidelines the entire game?  And, do you think he will be against the better competition?  Maybe because it was PSU and they were about to play virtually everybody on the roster.  I wonder how many plays of the 2023 Playbook he used?

On 9/4/2023 at 9:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Steiney may want to go sleeveless in Lubbock.

Obviously we saw a vanilla playbook against PSU. Can wait what else he has up his sleeves!  Hey Jon, you convinced me to switch my pre-season predictions about FSU winning the ACC to LSU contending with GA for the SEC.  I shouldn't have listened to you! 🤣

On 9/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, JDuck said:

Obviously we saw a vanilla playbook against PSU. Can wait what else he has up his sleeves!  Hey Jon, you convinced me to switch my pre-season predictions about FSU winning the ACC to LSU contending with GA for the SEC.  I shouldn't have listened to you! 🤣

Spot on on the JJ FSU call-out!

And as(s) for my betting predictions, I am a pitiful 3-3. The bright side? I did come with 2 USC Route 66 Over locks. That, and I didn't have money down on the Bayou Bengals vs. (not overrated) FSU.

Bad beat - .5 from winning the Over on the Kentucky vs. Ball State game with the two teams combining for 3 missed extra point attempts. Rats!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:40 AM, Mic said:

Charles, was Stein on the sidelines the entire game?  And, do you think he will be against the better competition?  Maybe because it was PSU and they were about to play virtually everybody on the roster.  I wonder how many plays of the 2023 Playbook he used?

How would I know any of that?

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/4/2023 at 12:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

How would I know any of that?

To my 1st question, Charles, I thought you might know since you were there.  To the second that was a rhetorical question.  No one can know that but Will Stein and maybe Dan Lanning.  And if Stein is the offensive mind we've heard about, the playbook is probably still growing as the players learn more and more themselves.  He's doing a fine job so far, don't you think?

On 9/4/2023 at 2:05 PM, Mic said:

To my 1st question, Charles, I thought you might know since you were there.

Right.  I'm up in the stands watching a game, and yet I'm supposed to keep track of where the offensive coordinator is?  I stated in the top post that I learned this from watching the game replay, and no--they did not show him on the sideline after that...so how would I know?

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck