FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 3 Keys to Beating Texas Tech

Whew, this game’s going to be a scorcher, and not just on the thermostat. Luckily, the Ducks are blazing hot after their 81-point victory over the Portland State Vikings, and now, they get the opportunity to take their talents on the road to Lubbock, Texas. While it might not look like a game we should have circled on the calendar, ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Whew, this game's going to be a scorcher, and not just on the thermostat. Luckily, the Ducks are blazing hot after their 81-point victory over the...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Alex.

How are Duck fans going to react to sack numbers? I think the sack stat is a poor stat to grade a defensive front by.

V. PSU, Ducks got zero sacks. They got some throw aways, some hurries and some knock downs.

Considering how few pass attempts for PSU and ultimately PSU compleatly giving up on the passing game, I think Ducks did a great job defending the pass. But no sacks.

What will that look like v. TT. Tech is air raid. 50 pass plays a game. Oregon is going to be challenged in the sack stat. That ball is going to come out quick. If Ducks don't log a sack, I don't think thats going to be a tell on how good the front seven are.

I think shutting down the intermediate passing game, especially between the hash, will be a much better tell on the quality of this defensive front.

Defensively: shut down the run, protect middle of the field and hold Tech to 3 yrds or less on the perimeter will result in a dominate win for OBD.

Make twch take shots over the top. And we will see the sack stat go up. Otherwise I don't anticipate a big stat line in sacks. 

Hurries, knockdowns and throw aways are a much more valuable stat in the grand scheme of things IMO.

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree. However, the field position and psychological impact on the QB of sacks are huge. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Alex!  Great to have you writing every week for football season!

I believe the tight pass coverage we saw in the Spring Game will show again versus the Red Raiders.  They like to throw quickly, which prevents sacks, but if Oregon can cover well early in the play-the turnovers you wrote about can happen.

Like you, I want to see a dominant running game, and I would like to think that the 2023 offensive line is now going to turn heads.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

PSU got the ball out quick on there pass plays. Very difficult to get a sack. TT will do the same.....

However the 8 completions were for short yardage. Thats good defense.

My concern is that they had a couple of plays where the receiver got deep and behind the Duck defender. PSU missed those opportunities because the Duck front 7 got heavy pressure on the QB......

Without heavy pressure, Shough may not miss on those opportunities.

It's going to be a good test for the Duck D.  TS will not be the best or even the most mobile QB the Duck D will face.

They just need to limit the damage from their mistakes.

I bwlieve the Duck D has a better chance to limit the TT offense than the TT defense can limit the Duck O.

We all, including future Duck opponents, will have a better picture of the 2023 Duck team after we leave Lubbock.

Hopefully with a victory.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Blow them away with our offense, and throttle them with our defense. This is the recipe to win on the road.

I agree the sack count isn't the only important stat, but pressure and batted down passes get into the head of any qb. I don't want to see Shough comfortable, nor confident going into the second quarter.

On offense a couple explosion plays by our weapons will take the air out of the TT players and crowd. 

By the end of the game I want the pundits to say, seems like Oregon is playing basketball and the other team is SEC football based on the scores being put up when the Ducks play, even on the road!

What happens after another large score is all the teams on our schedule will be intimidated before the first kickoff, now that is chaos!

If Ty Thompson plays against Texas Tech, what is TT going to stand for?

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 9:24 AM, jrw said:

If Ty Thompson plays against Texas Tech, what is TT going to stand for?

TT comes in late in the 3rd quarter because Oregon already leads 56-14 over TT.  We do a TT (Texas Toast) to our friends in Lubbock after our TT victory (Tasty and Tantalizing).  TT converts on T&T (or Th & Th?  Third and Three) twice with great decision making on a garbage time drive that ups the score to 63-14 while our backups on D look really TT (thirsty and terrorizing)

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I would like to see the Ducks outcoach TT. I think that is a key to this game.

Better scheme, better adjustments, better decision making and time management than TT coaches.

If we do that, it will nullify the home field advantage for TT.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2023 at 11:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Alex!  Great to have you writing every week for football season!

I believe the tight pass coverage we saw in the Spring Game will show again versus the Red Raiders.  They like to throw quickly, which prevents sacks, but if Oregon can cover well early in the play-the turnovers you wrote about can happen.

Like you, I want to see a dominant running game, and I would like to think that the 2023 offensive line is now going to turn heads.

Pass D is to me is the big question. Especially with Williams dinged up and Jenkins also not likely to play and help out with pass coverage. (I hope we are not seeing a repeat of Jenkins being dinged up at Iowa.)

Will we see the DL making Shough uncomfortable? I appreciate Hayward's comment but sacks are momentum changers and the best way, after turnovers, to get an offense off-rhythm. 

The first game vs. the varsity, on the road and in a very tough place to play.  One of 7 Pac-12 vs. Power 5 games on Saturday that will test the Week 1 perfect results.