Pennsylvania Duck

Week 2 AP and Coaches Polls Are Out

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Here's a look at how the college football rankings are shaping up after the second week of the season.

No movement for Oregon, still at 13, and not much chance of any until Colorado comes to Eugene in two weeks.

Expected. Bama wasn't dropping out of top 10. I can't argue with it. They have a history of elite. Deserve benefit of doubt

8 pac schools are top 26 with Cougs on the bubble 

• Applause 1

Oregon is probably stuck at 13 for another 2 weeks unless someone above them suffers a major defeat next Saturday.  And then only if the defeat isn't to another top 10 team.  Playing Hawaii isn't going to get the pollsters any appreciation but it is what it is.  GO OREGON

Until the Ducks defeat WA, UT and USC I don't see much, if any movement in the polls. 

At this time we're lucky to be ranked at #13. Wins are wins, but ugly wins and nail biters only count toward rankings when you're playing higher ranked teams.

Just keep winning. Go Ducks!

So we have EIGHT Pac-12 teams in the top 25?  The pinnacle of the conference....just in time to end it!

giphy.gif

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I noted also that SEC and B1G of 2024 each had seven teams in the top-25.  The SEC is no longer going to be the default "best" conference!

The final 2022 standings had seven from both, with the B1G having an overall higher ranking for the close of 2022. 

The SEC honks pondering that concept...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have never been under the belief SEC is so much better than every other conference, but their number of championships since the BCS/CFP started can' be denied.

• Applause 1

On 9/11/2023 at 10:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

So we have EIGHT Pac-12 teams in the top 25?  The pinnacle of the conference....just in time to end it!

giphy.gif

This is notable.I'll be REALLY upset when Ranked PAC12 teams beat Ranked PAC12 teams and don't move up, because they just beat a mid tier PAC12 team.

Said another way, if our out of conference dominance is discounted without explanation there needs to be a strong uproar about the bias against the PAC12. I do hope the playoff committee does enough due diligence to avoid this. 

If this happens it would create very different ranking between polls and the cfp committee rankings.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jon Wiler confirms it! 8 Pac-12 teams ranked in the AP Poll is a record accomplished before only by the SEC. 

Using the AP Poll and projecting Oregon State to be in the Mountain West this would be the 2024 playoff field using the top 5 conference champs and 7 at-large (AL) teams in the field. Staying with the top 4 conference champs having a 1st round bye.

1. Georgia - SEC vs. 9. Washington - AL at 8. Penn State - AL

2. Michigan - B1G vs. 10. Notre Dame - AL at 7. Ohio State - AL

3. FSU - ACC vs. 11. Alabama - AL at 6. USC - AL

4. Utah - B12 vs. 12. Oregon State (MW) at 5. Texas - AL

5 B1G/ 3 SEC/ 1 B12/ 1 ACC/ 1 Independent/ 1 Mountain West

Note - UW at PSU and ND at tOSU might have to be relocated to an indoor facility. Otherwise, both games could be a literal White Out.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

CBS Sports bowl expert Jerry Palm picks the teams he feels will comprise the National Semi-final at the end of the season along with bowl projections for every single game.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, anyotherduck said:

Until the Ducks defeat WA, UT and USC I don't see much, if any movement in the polls. 

At this time we're lucky to be ranked at #13. Wins are wins, but ugly wins and nail biters only count toward rankings when you're playing higher ranked teams.

Just keep winning. Go Ducks!

Great take. But Bama is 1-1 with a blowout of a junior varsity team and a home loss to the 1 P5 opponent it has played. Bama is ranked in the top 10. Why? It's Bama. 

The Pac-12, 6-3 vs. P5 opponents OOC, deserves all 8 rankings.

The pollsters responded correctly moving #23 Wazzu into the Top 25 after a convincing win over previously ranked, #19 Wisconsin. Arguably, both #18 CU and #12 Utah with 2 P5 wins, one win for each coming on the road, should be ranked higher. Oregon #13 and Wazzu #23 both have P5 wins. #5 USC, #8 UW, #16 Oregon State, and #24 UCLA do not yet have a P5 win. Of these 4, only UW, at Michigan State, will play a P5 team before conference play begins.

(You think that CU today is happy to see Mel Tucker gone and Prime Time in Boulder?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Is the Pac-12 the best conference in the nation? The rankings say so...

Timing is everything.

For years, the Pac-12 Conference has been considered one of the weaker Power 5 conference. But now, ironically, in its last season as a league, the Pac-12 has never been stronger.

The Conference of Champions has been incredibly impressive so far this year and looks like it could once again live up to its name in 2023.

By looking at the rankings following Week 2 of the season, it’s hard to argue against the idea that the Pac-12 could be the strongest conference in the nation.

Almost all of the Pac-12’s early success in 2023 is due to superb quarterback play. Caleb Williams is the reigning Heisman winner and it doesn’t look like he’s ready to slow down any time soon.

The usuals such as Michael Penix, Jr. and Bo Nix are also having nice starts, but it’s the quarterbacks such as Cameron Ward of Washington State and DJ Uiagalelei of Oregon State that provide depth for the conference.

Things will change once the conference season gets in full swing, but having one last great Pac-12 season is definitely bitter-sweet.

Here’s a look at where the Pac-12 stands amongst the Power 5 conference when it comes to number of teams in the Top-25 rankings after Week 2...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Is the Pac-12 the strongest conference in the nation this season? It’s a tough statement to argue against at the moment…

• Wow 1

It will be interesting to see if the committee and the national media give the PAC the same love they have in the past for the SEC or B1G when they have had a bunch of teams ranked.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

Could the number of ranked teams be due to the new conferences wanting to show greater added value?

Just a thought, but the pac whatever has never been given any respect. Meaning that teams that have deserved ranking didn't get it and now there are so many teams ranked?

I do agree that the pac has several good teams this year but really, we have had for many years. This has lead to cutting each other's throats.

These teams in the Pac will be given benifit of doubt imo. I think many that make these decisions on ranking and CFP/bowl positions are as frustrated as the rest of us about the demise of the Pac.

Many love traditions of college football an The depth of this conference is playing out in the ooc games. Just keep winning.

I can see  two loss pac teams playing in champ game. I can also see the CFP committee bucking the norms and placing a two loss Pac-12 champ in the CFP.

They would face backlash for sure. But as good as this conference is, a two loss conf champ could/would still be one of the four best teams in the nation.

You heard it here first. Don't be surprised if later in the year you hear it on College Game Day or Big Noon

On 9/11/2023 at 7:12 PM, Log Haulin said:

These teams in the Pac will be given benifit of doubt imo. I think many that make these decisions on ranking and CFP/bowl positions are as frustrated as the rest of us about the demise of the Pac.

Many love traditions of college football an The depth of this conference is playing out in the ooc games. Just keep winning.

I can see  two loss pac teams playing in champ game. I can also see the CFP committee bucking the norms and placing a two loss Pac-12 champ in the CFP.

They would face backlash for sure. But as good as this conference is, a two loss conf champ could/would still be one of the four best teams in the nation.

You heard it here first. Don't be surprised if later in the year you hear it on College Game Day or Big Noon

Log, great take but I do not expect to see a 2L team in the PO prior to PO expansion next season. I believe it will continue to be the 2L kiss of death in 2023. SOS be darned.

I see 2 out of 3 of Penn St, Ohio State, and Michigan losing only 1 game. (Other than these 3, the B1G teams look slow.) Same with FSU. Maybe without having to play a 13th game, Notre Dame? USC will be a witch but the Domers game at Clemson does not appear to be all that daunting. Texas (I know) has a shot at going undefeated or not losing more than 1 game. Texas's remaining away games are at Baylor, Houston (just lost to Rice and traveling man JC Daniels,) TCU, and Iowa State. Oklahoma is of course a neutral site game but the Sooners did not look like World Beaters vs. SMU. Georgia should finish no worse than 12-1. And LSU I think is better than it looked in the opening game.

There are lots of undefeated teams out there after Week 2. Maybe a 2L team sets a precedent in the last season of the Final 4? But this would mean a lot of 2L P5 conference champ teams and 2L brand name teams such as the B1G 3, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Tennessee, and others. If Tennessee loses a close game vs. UGA the Vols could get in with an 11-1 record. 

Pac-12. Will any team get through the 9-game gauntlet in a conference with 8 teams Top 25 ranked? CU, OR ST. and Wazzu were historically pencil-it-in wins. Now? Cal missed 3 very makeable FGs in the loss to Auburn. QB de Laura kept throwing to the wrong colored jersey in Starkville yet AZ took MS ST into OT. AZ will be a tough out at home for any team.

NO Easy Day out west. Nevertheless, if an undefeated Oregon can get by the undefeated Prime Time Ralphies, the first 6 games, now that the Ducks have ended TT's 23-in-a-row opening home games winning streak, set Oregon up to get the new OL and the new guys on D integrated and used to playing together. And don't look now and yes, it's Stanford but the SC D looked good on Saturday and SC has the week off before the champ game. Utah is P5 2-0 without its solid starting QB. UW's O is firing on all cylinders. Who knows how good Oregon State is? Moore appears to be the real deal and UCLA has by this conference's standards, an easy schedule. 

Oregon with the most experienced starting QB in the nation and any of these other teams could finish 12-1. It's going to be a heck of a season.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 6:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Log, great take but I do not expect to see a 2L team in the PO prior to PO expansion next season. I believe it will continue to be the 2L kiss of death in 2023. SOS be darned.

I see 2 out of 3 of Penn St, Ohio State, and Michigan losing only 1 game. (Other than these 3, the B1G teams look slow.) Same with FSU. Maybe without having to play a 13th game, Notre Dame? USC will be a witch but the Domers game at Clemson does not appear to be all that daunting. Texas (I know) has a shot at going undefeated or not losing more than 1 game. Texas's remaining away games are at Baylor, Houston (just lost to Rice and traveling man JC Daniels,) TCU, and Iowa State. Oklahoma is of course a neutral site game but the Sooners did not look like World Beaters vs. SMU. Georgia should finish no worse than 12-1. And LSU I think is better than it looked in the opening game.

There are lots of undefeated teams out there after Week 2. Maybe a 2L team sets a precedent in the last season of the Final 4? But this would mean a lot of 2L P5 conference champ teams and 2L brand name teams such as the B1G 3, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Tennessee, and others. If Tennessee loses a close game vs. UGA the Vols could get in with an 11-1 record. 

Pac-12. Will any team get through the 9-game gauntlet in a conference with 8 teams Top 25 ranked? CU, OR ST. and Wazzu were historically pencil-it-in wins. Now? Cal missed 3 very makeable FGs in the loss to Auburn. QB de Laura kept throwing to the wrong colored jersey in Starkville yet AZ took MS ST into OT. AZ will be a tough out at home for any team.

NO Easy Day out west. Nevertheless, if an undefeated Oregon can get by the undefeated Prime Time Ralphies, the first 6 games, now that the Ducks have ended TT's 23-in-a-row opening home games winning streak, set Oregon up to get the new OL and the new guys on D integrated and used to playing together. And don't look now and yes, it's Stanford but the SC D looked good on Saturday and SC has the week off before the champ game. Utah is P5 2-0 without its solid starting QB. UW's O is firing on all cylinders. Who knows how good Oregon State is? Moore appears to be the real deal and UCLA has by this conference's standards, an easy schedule. 

Oregon with the most experienced starting QB in the nation and any of these other teams could finish 12-1. It's going to be a heck of a season.

Nor do I expect it. At surface level it almost sounds absurd. But for the last year, the obsurdaties of college football are at epic levels. Why stop now when they are on a roll.

• Thumbs Up 1

The B12 really should grab up OSU and WSU. Both schools are top 25 capable right now and would strengthen that conference right away.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 teams from the Pac-12 land in ESPN's Week 2 Power Rankings

Following the end of Week 2, the LBM Coaches Poll came out and put seven Pac-12 schools — USC, Washington, Utah, Oregon, Oregon State, Colorado, and UCLA — in the standings, while the Associated Press Top 25 added an eighth in there with Washington State.

ESPN followed that lead, putting eight of the 12 schools out west in their most recent power rankings. Take a look at where all of the schools stand following Week 2...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

8 teams from the Pac-12 land in ESPN’s Week 2 Power Rankings

Kirk Herbstreit names Oregon among top performing teams with Week 2 win vs. Texas Tech

On the wildly popular ESPN College GameDay show that leads into the early action on Saturday mornings in the fall, there was only one person who picked against the Oregon Ducks when making predictions for their Week 2 game against the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

It was analyst Kirk Herbstreit.

So it makes sense that Herbstreit is making things right by announcing that Dan Lanning and the Ducks are one of his top-performing teams of the week following their thrilling 38-30 victory down in a hostile Lubbock environment.

Each week of the season, Herbstreit goes out of his way to name which teams impressed him the most. It isn’t based on rankings or highlights, but rather on the quality of the win based on the situation.

Here are Herbstreit’s rankings of top-performing teams for Week 2...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Kirk Herbstreit was the only person on ESPN College GameDay to pick Texas Tech over Oregon. He made up for it following the...

On 9/12/2023 at 8:59 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Kirk Herbstreit names Oregon among top performing teams with Week 2 win vs. Texas Tech

On the wildly popular ESPN College GameDay show that leads into the early action on Saturday mornings in the fall, there was only one person who picked against the Oregon Ducks when making predictions for their Week 2 game against the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

It was analyst Kirk Herbstreit.

So it makes sense that Herbstreit is making things right by announcing that Dan Lanning and the Ducks are one of his top-performing teams of the week following their thrilling 38-30 victory down in a hostile Lubbock environment.

Each week of the season, Herbstreit goes out of his way to name which teams impressed him the most. It isn’t based on rankings or highlights, but rather on the quality of the win based on the situation.

Here are Herbstreit’s rankings of top-performing teams for Week 2...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Kirk Herbstreit was the only person on ESPN College GameDay to pick Texas Tech over Oregon. He made up for it following the...

He'd better.  He was the lone holdout on College Game Day to pick TT as the winner of the game.  He's trying to save face.  Incidentally, I heard this morning Bo Nix was named Pac-12 Player of the Week.