Mic

Tez Johnson - Accomplished Receiver

So what do we know about Tez Johnson, other than the fact that he is the adoptive brother of our QB: Bo Nix?  Or that he wears #15, is a WR and caught a pass at a crucial point in the TT game - for a TD?  Well, to be honest, that was about the limit of my knowledge until recently.  Since the game Saturday I've learned a lot more about this talented and speedy WR that Oregon was very smart to welcome in from the Transfer Portal

Like, for instance, by being on the Ducks roster he instantly vaulted to the top of the Reciever Stats based on his body of work at his former school, Troy University, a Div I school that plays in the Sun Belt Conference.  Yeah, a Div I team.  Rather than list all his accomplishments to date one need only peruse pages 16 & 17 of the Ducks Ducks Game Notes for the upcoming game with Hawaii. to get a sample  You may be as surprised as I was.  This young man's a baller!

Here's just a glimpse: Tez tops the Duck charts at games with 10+ receptions and is near the top in total Receiving TD's.  Check out his TD's by yardage.  It'll be scaring the bee-jeezes out of our opponents.  Don't just say "yeah, but that was Troy".  Remember how he handled himself against TT Saturday evening.  

And the young man has wanted to be a Duck since he was 8 years old.  Welcome Tez Johnson!  We're glad you're finally home.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Tez looks like a fine WR. I'm most interested in seeing Jurrion Dickey get some passes thrown his way vs. Hawaii. I still can't figure out why Lanning only had him one the field once or twice against Portland State when we were up 60+.

I think he was one of the PFF highest rated WRs for 2022.

• Go Ducks! 1

Dickey's time will come. He was a fall camp arrival to the team and missed spring ball. Likely still has a lot of the playbook to master. A lot to learn about technique, routes, scheme, reading his defender and P5 level defenses in general.

And let's not forget blocking. In all of the non designated pass plays and much of the RPO offense, the WRs are called upon to be physical and make good blocks. It's not something that HS receivers usually have to do against elite competition and it's not learned overnight. No block, no rock.

There are several very good to elite receivers ahead of him on the depth chart. He is a remarkably gifted athlete and if the quality and skill above him on the roster wasn't there, he'd be playing. It's a luxury for Oregon to be able to bring him along slowly.

Maybe he redshirts this year. Lanning has mentioned Dickey's important role on the scout team. I'm trusting the coaching staff to give him enough work to keep him out of the portal and develop him into an elite weapon for the future.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
  • Thumbs Up 2

Tez Johnson had some GREAT blocks on the perimeter, and considering his stature--that is all effort and hustle.  Love it!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

When Tez is interviewed he looks like he wants to pinch himself. That kid is having a blast and obviously living a dream come true. Ducks are lucky to have a kid like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tez Johnson reacts to first touchdown at Oregon, predicts more this weekend

Junior wide receiver Tez Johnson scored his first TD since transferring to Oregon over the weekend. He expects to score his first at Autzen Stadium on Saturday.

247SPORTS.COM

Junior wide receiver Tez Johnson scored his first TD since transferring to Oregon over the weekend. He expects to score his...