Pennsylvania Duck

AP and Coaches Polls Released After Week No.3

Ducks advanced in both polls...

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Here's a look at how the AP Top 25 and the Coaches Poll rankings are looking following the third week of the season.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coaches poll sucks this time of year. That's what get when coaches spend 5 minutes looking at who won and lost this weekend, and haven't played enough teams to make any relativistic determinations.

AP poll looks pretty decent. Blue bloods continue to get the benefit of the doubt until they lose to non-blue-bloods, which I don't care for though.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is fine... polls this time of year are pretty pointless for the reality of the games being played. I am by no means saying there shouldn't be polls this time of year, they are great fun for fans, but they don't tell us much.

Oregon continues to surge in silence which is just the way we like it. We dominated the two games we should have and survived a road trip to Texas against a Texas Tech team that is truthfully much better than their record, I do expect them to be ranked at some point this season.

The Ducks are doing what they need to do... we have reached Top 10 status and I suspect with a solid win against top 20 team Colorado this next weekend we silently surge higher up the rankings. This weekend is going to have a whole lot of flash around it with Colorado in town.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Yikes! 1

While I am glad the betting lines are favoring the Ducks, -21 seems like too big a spread.

UW is -22 v Cal.

Yet, CU seems much better than Cal, and UW is ranked higher than OBD.

Don’t get me wrong, I fully expect the Ducks to win by 5 TDs, but I’m a homer. I didn’t think Vegas odds-makers were also Duck homers.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

While I am glad the betting lines are favoring the Ducks, -21 seems like too big a spread.

UW is -22 v Cal.

Don’t get me wrong, I fully expect the Ducks to win by 5 TDs, but I’m a homer. I didn’t think Vegas odds-makers were also Duck homers.

Buffs are a 1 dimension team this year.

• Like 1

There should not be a coaches poll.

They can't watch games.

There should not be any polls until at least week 5 or 6.

These early polls always influence later thinking. It's a rigged system meant to help espn.

But, it won't go away, so I'll enjoy being #10 for a week.

How does Tenn remain higher than FL?

How is FSU still at #4?

I thought that the play on the field was supposed to mean something!

Btw, I see our little brother losing in Pullman. They don't have the firepower to score if Martinez gets shut down.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:40 PM, Solar said:

Coaches poll sucks this time of year. That's what get when coaches spend 5 minutes looking at who won and lost this weekend, and haven't played enough teams to make any relativistic determinations.

AP poll looks pretty decent. Blue bloods continue to get the benefit of the doubt until they lose to non-blue-bloods, which I don't care for though.

This poll should be called The SID Poll. 

On 9/17/2023 at 8:06 PM, DanLduck said:

There should not be a coaches poll.

They can't watch games.

There should not be any polls until at least week 5 or 6.

These early polls always influence later thinking. It's a rigged system meant to help espn.

But, it won't go away, so I'll enjoy being #10 for a week.

How does Tenn remain higher than FL?

How is FSU still at #4?

I thought that the play on the field was supposed to mean something!

Btw, I see our little brother losing in Pullman. They don't have the firepower to score if Martinez gets shut down.

Great take.

Why did Texas move up after a struggle with WYO?

And how great was the TX win at Bama; a team with an impotent offense?

I will not be surprised if Ole Miss wins at Bama this Saturday. I will not be surprised if Oklahoma and at least 1 other B12 team defeats this Texas team. 

And is FSU really a playoff team? Saturday at Clemson will be interesting. To date, Duke has looked as solid as any team in the ACC. And (Say It Ain't So!) Miami also looks darn good. 

2 SEC teams in the final Final 4, right? So far, one SEC team is debatable.

A lot of top 25 vs top 25 matchups this week. Including 3 in the Pac-12. 6 Pac-12 Top 25 teams going head-to-head. Who knew?

AP Top 25: No. 13 Alabama out of the top 10 for the first time since 2015, Oregon & OSU climb higher

No. 13 Alabama is out of the top 10 of The Associated Press college football poll for the first time in eight years, and Georgia remained No. 1 on Sunday.

Georgia now has the longest active run of top-10 rankings with 37.

The conference listings at the bottom of the article are interesting. Take a look...

KATU.COM

No. 13 Alabama is out of the top 10 of The Associated Press college football poll for the first time in eight years, and Georgia...

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

UW is -22 v Cal.

I am shocked by the line. I'm sure the bloated number was affected by the expected loss of Travis Hunter, but that's a lot of points.

I must admit, though, that most often when I feel the spread is out of whack, the oddsmakers are usually right. Still, I'm taking the points.

I expect the Ducks to win, but by 3 touchdowns? I'll be a happy man either way....as long as Oregon wins the game!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, DUCKED said:

I expect the Ducks to win, but by 3 touchdowns? I'll be a happy man either way....as long as Oregon wins the game!

Not picking this one because of matchup uncertainties (on my part) though losing Travis Hunter is a big blow to the Buffs.  I think Oregon will win going away.  Like you, any win will be a good one unless they get a big lead and surrender most of it.  Don't expect that.  GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2023 at 2:56 PM, Mic said:

Not picking this one because of matchup uncertainties (on my part) though losing Travis Hunter is a big blow to the Buffs.  I think Oregon will win going away.  Like you, any win will be a good one unless they get a big lead and surrender most of it.  Don't expect that.  GO DUCKS!

Gauntlet Thrown!

I'm down with Puddles - 19 (GULP!) Oregon covered -36 last Saturday and with the double cover at TT, I'm going for the Puddles trifecta plus 1. 

What, me worry?

• Like 1