FishDuck Article

Should Oregon Play to its Passing Attack Strengths?

We had an interesting discussion this last week about whether or not the offensive line could be as strong as last year at rushing-at-will as we saw in a number of key moments in the 2022 season where ball control and burning the clock became as important as scoring points. Could the 2023 offensive line improve to where last year’s ...

FISHDUCK.COM

We had an interesting discussion this last week about whether or not the offensive line could be as strong as last year at rushing-at-will as we...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Nix's mobility definitely favors a pass heavy ( blasphemy) offense. As does Irving and Whittingtons ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Ducks pass blocking has been solid. Better than expected considering it's a new unit. The competition has been light with the excetion of TTU. TTU had a solid front and Ducks did well in pass protection.

I noticed in Hawaii game, Nix got the ball out quick. I remember thinking "man, that was quick" even on some of the longer pass attempts.

You might be on to something Charles. The passing game is starting to emerge nicely.

Holden(?) had two scores with a long of 60y and is a legit threat every down. Tez and Franklin are at 3 scores and Franklin has a long of 72y. Bryant is 2nd leading reciever.

Bucky and Whittington are avg 7.9 and 9.2 yds per catch out of the backfield. 

These numbers are with essentially only 2 games played being they all pretty much sat 2nd half of 2 games.

This could be a top 10 passing team when all is said and done. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for a very informative article, Charles!  Great new question for Duck fans to discuss!

Charles said, "Yet I think he is off to a very hot start for a newbie OC; I saw a number of new play series out bunch formations for running plays that I love, along with constraint plays he is revealing in the passing game."

I loved the tantalizing Jet Sweep with Bo Nix under center.  Instead of a slot receiver running it there was TE Kenyon Sandiq running the play, a true freshman.  A TE not looking to kick out the defensive end for a counter, but a big guy with speed who can reach the corner.

Coach Stein, a truly innovative OC, we're getting to see his new version of Duck Offense.  So many new things for defenses to worry about.  Coach Will Stein offense is emerging as a potent scoring offense.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Excellent article Charles and spot on assessment.......

Who cares how the Ducks win the game? 

The receiver room is loaded and has depth. The RB's can catch the ball in space and pile on the YAC's. Why not utilize both rooms and score points ro win games....

It is much better than seeing your QB get injured running the ball like last year. We will not beat some of the teams on our schedule without Bo.......

Last year most teams loaded the box on obvious running plays. On most plays that there was a RB in the backfield, the Rainbow Warriors, also stacked the box.

Last year, the OC allowed Bo to run the ball on the RPO plays. 14 rushing TD's to be exact. That forced the opposing D to play honest and minimized stacking the box.

That recipe, coupled with a cheap shot, cost the Ducks a title shot.

Besides the pass blocking has been solid so far. The receivers are hard to cover. It adds up to trouble for Duck opponents.

Whether it was a 3-4 or 4-3 look, someone had to account for Bo. Last years O Line could open holes because there were not 8 or 9 in the box.

Thankfully Bo is not running the ball this year. No need to against PSU and Hawaii. Howrver, the run game was shut down for 42 minutes in the TT game. The offense was stagnant with only 18 points on the board. It cannot be stressed enough how well TT's D played in that game.

The last 18 minutes of the game Bo ran the ball, just enough to get TT off balance and back on their heels. He ran on one critical 3rd down to make a 1st down to keep the scoring drive going.

Everytime Bo ran the ball, i held my breath. It was needed to win the game but comes with a high risk.

The Duck backs can catch in space, so why not use them? So Bo did just that. The result, a win!

Consider that we are seeing a balanced offense with exceptional talent on the field. Balance is one of the components to winning a title.

A balanced offense keeps the D honest. A 5th year QB starter in his 50th start, with this many weapons should beat you....

When you get a chance to rewatch the Hawaii game there are 2 plays that show the stacking of the box.

On the flea flicker play Hawaii had 9 players in the box. It was an obvious short yardage run situation and it was going to be stuffed. At the last second NW turns and flips the ball back to Bo. (Tell me you weren't suprised)

Bo had no time to set his feet to throw because he was going to be sacked. So he took off to his right and hit a wide open receiver for a big gain. 2 defenders cannot cover 3 receivers.

Especially receivers who will play on Sunday...........

The other play also included NW. Its 4th and short. Hawaii put 9 in the box and the run play was stuffed. But NW bounced outside for a big gain and a first down.

Fortuneately the Ducks won those plays. Other times, when the box was stacked, the backs got only 2 or 3 yards.

As a fan it is unrealistic to exspect the O line to open a lane when the numbers are stacked against you.

When the box wasnt stacked the O line blocked well and the holes or lanes were there. On NW's and James TD runs the blocking was text book.

Taking what the D gives you is smart, effective and usually works. With the offensive weapons at Bo's disposal this is a recipe for success.

This talented receiver room is a weapon and Charles i agree should not be wasted.

Bird Bombs force the D to play deeper and when they hit these plays can devastate your opponent.

If Bo had put just a little air under the ball he would have at least 3 more passing TD's. How many future Duck opponents have the talent to cover this outstanding group of receivers?

Whatever it takes to win is what matters. Run or pass doesn't matter.

Just win.

Go Ducks. Keep improving and enjoy the week because the circus is coming to town.......

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2

Great article Charles. Couldn’t agree more. Just to pile on the evidence in favor of leaning towards the passing attack: Running backs were targeted 7 times vs Hawaii for 6 completions and 49 yards gained (7 yards per attempt). What logic would compel you to lean away from that kind of production?

Edited by Chas Man
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/18/2023 at 8:20 AM, Chas Man said:

Great article Charles. Couldn’t agree more. Just to pile on the evidence in favor of leaning towards the passing attack: Running backs were targeted 7 times vs Hawaii for 6 completions and 49 yards gained (7 yards per attempt). What logic would compel you to lean away from that kind of production?

Amen, Duck-Brother.  For a running back--it is hard to put moves on in "linebacker-land" where you are evading several at once.  But in open field? Irving with just one or two to evade?  That increases our odds of some extreme YAC on the play...

Bo Nix throws 3 TD passes, No. 13 Oregon routs Hawaii 55-10 - Hawaii  Tribune-Herald

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The passing game does open up the run game, enough said, great article.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats how Buffs play, they open up their running game after passing. SS's roles out a lot and tries to extend plays to get receivers open.

• Go Ducks! 1

Thank you, Charles. Great take.

Without Hunter hunting down passes keep those BBs coming!

Stats? Just Win Baby! 

1 thing matters at the end of the game: Scoreboard!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised that more reaction has not occurred to this article. I am flat-out stating something that most here would disagree with....

Bo throws well on the run_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I think there are a whole lot of savvy fans on this board who are knowledgeable enough, more than partly due to your and Coach Boles' tutelage, to see a spot-on take when delivered.

As I noted above, this was a great take, and as long as the team wins who cares how they win? 

I am fired up to see Bodacious throw it down, and hopefully repeatedly into the end zone against the best group of pitchers perhaps ever assembled in one conference. 4 of Oregon's next 5 games are against, coming into Week 5, 4 undefeated teams. This is unheard of even in the SEC. 

To win the Pac-12 this final (SIGH) season a team will have to score beau coup points. Yes and of course, the run game matters but this is a pass-first, other than Utah, conference and you best be able to throw the ball and score points through the air.

Defending Heisman winner Williams. 400 passing yards plus in the first 3 games Penix. Cam Ward who shredded a ranked Wisconsin team. Former 5* recruit DJU. 5* Dante Moore (SIGH) balling out for UCLA. Sheduer Sanders moving up from FCS ball and moving into 1st round-draft pick territory. And there has yet to be a Rising in SLC.

And let us not forget Oregon's own stud QB, Bo Nix. Who at the end of the season, may well be the ultimate Pac-12 and CFB QB.

One-third of the way through The Conference of QBs gauntlet.

What a blast!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It will depend game by game on what the opposing defense gives to our Ducks.

This year’s Ducks football has a highly talented and deep receiver corps coupled with a top 5 nationally Running Backs group.

As the season progresses some games will rely primarily on rushing while other games will be won by the receivers. 

Balance is beautiful.

I fully expect big plays periodically by the special teams, too. This will be something not seen in recent seasons.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: I have a fan's not a coach's level of expertise. 

One consideration ought to be what our offensive line is best able to do. The tackles appear to be reliable pass blockers. They also had impressive moments as run blockers against Hawaii. On the Whittington touchdown coming off the tight end heavy formation to the right, the left side was completely sealed, presumably by Conerly. There was one long run where Cornelius collapsed the entire defensive line on his side. Those were specific plays. I do not have access to the PFF grades. 

I was surprised by JPJ's speed. Twice he was able to sprint to the boundary to lead the runner. I do not recollect a center running as well since Max Unger. Perhaps the Ducks ought to incorporate more outside runs to exploit his ability. If I recall correctly, he also sprung one of our backs for a touchdown with a devastating block on a middle linebacker. 

My questions are at the guard slots. I do not want to call out individual players unless there is a lack of effort or discipline, but I am not sure how good the run blocking is going to be from those positions. If Aguilar is not panning out, and "Poncho" is not ready, that would be an argument for a more pass-oriented offense. 

The running game seemed more diversified and interesting against Hawaii. Possibly Stein is going to utilize more outside runs and fewer inside zone reads, partly to protect Bo. This may also be a better fit for the offensive line personnel. 

These are guesses. I have certainly not done the flim study to confirm any of this. 

One last note. I just read Hythloday's analysis of the Texas Tech game. He attributes much of the difficulty in the run game to the ability of Tech's defensive tackles, which he deems "NFL quality."

Edited by Triphibius
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:25 PM, Triphibius said:

I do not recollect a center running as well since Max Unger.

You sir, do not give yourself enough credit as an analyst.  I will say, that there tons of times the that Hroniss Grasu pulled and BEAT LaMichael James to the edge, but your point is made.  We have not had a such a fast mobile center in some time. Great observation.

My questions are at the guard slots.

I believe that the East Carolina transfer, Strothers, the Texas transfer, and Steven Jones will round into form...in time for the damn Huskies. 

Hythloday's analysis of the Texas Tech game. He attributes much of the difficult in the run game to the ability of Tech's defensive tackles, which he deems "NFL quality."

Good to hear, since I've been touting them with respect since the game.

Please keep offering your analysis takes, as I love what you are seeing.  More opinions makes us all better...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks. I had the suspicion that I was forgetting someone. Yes, it was Grasu. 

I am staying humble. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great thoughts and posts, once again from OBDF members.

Charles, to me, it really doesnt matter if Duck fans or Duck fans on the forum disagree with you and want a more powerful run game.

The proof is in the pudding. Darn near 59 points per game worth of pudding with 3 wins for topping.

As a fan, i will take that every game. Run pass or pass run? Whatever lights up the scoreboard.

Watching Duck football is fun again. Beats the pants of Mario ball.

We just need 1 more point than our opponent. USCless and Butsniff U will like up the scoreboard against us. A run first Duck offense will not put 50 plus on the scoreboard.

Do what works until they stop it.

Go Ducks

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2023 at 8:24 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Run pass or pass run? Whatever lights up the scoreboard.

Whether it was Whittington run for a touchdown, or a Bird-Bomb to Tez Johnson...it is good-or-good!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Top 5 passing teams in n the nation after week 3

1 Washington

2 Colorado

3 Washington State

4 USC

5 Oregon 

Looks to me that Oregon is already playing to its passing game strength. But it may have to do so even more to keep up with the rest of the PAC-12.

On 9/19/2023 at 8:02 AM, Dave23 said:

Oregon is already playing to its passing game strength. But it may have to do so even more to keep up with the rest of the PAC-12.

I've been pondering about that.

Maybe this was the plan?  We know we're going to be in shoot-outs this season, so Dano goes out and gets two BIG playmaking receivers, and a boatload of defensive backs from the portal to try to hold down the other teams in the conference?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/19/2023 at 1:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Maybe this was the plan?  We know we're going to be in shoot-outs this season, so Dano goes out and gets two BIG playmaking receivers, and a boatload of defensive backs from the portal to try to hold down the other teams in the conference?

I personally was asking why we were getting so many receivers when we we're already loaded. Make more sense if your throwing the ball a lot. Don't know if you can ever have enough DBs in this league and apparently they make great LBs as well.

The whole scheme seems to lean towards defending against the pass hence the DB's playing at the LB spot. Outside of the front 4 guys playing on the line they all seam to be DBs. 

On 9/19/2023 at 1:19 PM, Dave23 said:

The whole scheme seems to lean towards defending against the pass hence the DB's playing at the LB spot. Outside of the front 4 guys playing on the line they all seam to be DBs. 

Turning into "NFL-Lite?"

Mr. FishDuck