Charles Fischer

Good Gosh: Colorado's Starting Line-Up More Experienced than Oregon!

I heard that the Buffs started a freshman center last week, but that is not the case at the moment.  The starter is a sophomore, and at 290 pounds is standard size; still though, I expect Popo to be highly disruptive.

But good gosh....look at all the seniors, juniors and graduate transfers starting!  You could make a case that they have a more experienced starting line-up than Oregon does!

The major elements on both teams?  I believe our defensive backs will do a good job slowing down the passing attack of the Buffaloes.

And I believe our defensive line will really mess up an offensive line of Colorado that has already given up a ton of sacks. Still though....with that much experience starting--Colorado presents quite the challenge?

Colorado Starters.jpg

WWW.OURLADS.COM

The most accurate, up to date College Football Depth Charts and Rosters on the net.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/20/2023 at 9:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

with that much experience starting

Yes, but not as much starting together.

I think our OL has been together longer.  I really like the way our schedule is set up this year . . . five games to get the bugs out playing together in somewhat new roles, a bye week, then the game of the year so far in the Pac.

GO DUCKS!

They have starting experience but not necessarily the talent and group chemistry, giving up 16 sacks in 3 games?  Sheldeur won't make it to mid-season at that rate...

• Thumbs Up 1

Why Shedeur Sanders is the most clutch player in college football

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

When the fourth quarter comes around, and the game is on the line, there is not a single player who has been more clutch than Colorado QB Shedeur Sanders.

I hope Lanning is wise enough to realize that you NEVER. EVER. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, outside a hail Mary, play prevent defense against an elite clutch QB which there are 5 or so in our league to deal with.

The only thing it will do is prevent you from winning.

Keep up the QB pressure with numbers on the line and blitzes, pull out the LBs, and lean on the DBs to ball out with tight coverage.

Edited by Solar
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, Solar said:

I hope Lanning is wise enough to realize that you NEVER. EVER. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, outside a hail Mary, play prevent defense against an elite clutch QB which there are 5 or so in our league to deal with.

The only thing it will do is prevent you from winning.

Keep up the QB pressure with numbers on the line and blitzes, pull out the LBs, and lean on the DBs to ball out with tight coverage.

I can't recall a time that DL did prevent defense in any significant capacity since he came to Eugene.  His defenses have typically been aggressive in pressuring the QB, particularly this season so far.  That being said, he and Tosh are not afraid to adjust as necessary. 

• Applause 1

I politely disagree with all; Lanning has already shown--as Nick Aliotti and Jim Leavitt would--that he will mix up his defenses and occasionally throw in a three-man-rush while dropping eight into coverage.  I've noted it several times already this year and I even had a name for it a decade ago...

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com explains the 3-Duck-Chuck defense that is returning to Oregon with new defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt.

From 2010...

1.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I heard that the Buffs started a freshman center last week, but that is not the case at the moment.  The starter is a sophomore, and at 290 pounds is standard size; still though, I expect Popo to be highly disruptive.

But good gosh....look at all the seniors, juniors and graduate transfers starting!  You could make a case that they have a more experienced starting line-up than Oregon does!

This is interesting and something I'm sure a lot of us didn't know!  Well, let's hope O'S linemen are better coached, better prepared, better intensified and just plain better!  GO DUCKS!

Interesting observation, Charles. But I wonder if they have gelled as a unit. Looking at the number of sacks they've give up so far, tells me no. But that can quickly change.

However, as so many have pointed out, where I think we will eat them up, is with our depth, and their lack of it. 

By the time late Q3, and definitely Q4, rolls around, I'm betting CUs O-line will be absolutey gassed, and our RBs will then likely have a field day. 

On 9/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, Solar said:

, pull out the LBs, and lean on the DBs to ball out with tight coverage.

Aren't the LB's converted safeties. 

On 9/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I politely disagree with all; Lanning has already shown--as Nick Aliotti and Jim Leavitt would--that he will mix up his defenses and occasionally throw in a three-man-rush while dropping eight into coverage.  I've noted it several times already this year and I even had a name for it a decade ago...

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com explains the 3-Duck-Chuck defense...

From 2010...

1.jpg

Does that make you "The FushDuck Chuck"? Asking for a friend

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2023 at 12:28 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The major elements on both teams?  I believe our defensive backs will do a good job slowing down the passing attack of the Buffaloes.

And I believe our defensive line will really mess up an offensive line of Colorado that has already given up a ton of sacks. Still though....with that much experience starting--Colorado presents quite the challenge?

Colorado Starters.jpg

WWW.OURLADS.COM

The most accurate, up to date College Football Depth Charts and Rosters on the net.

You play older guys when: Guys go on missions; or, you tap the portal like tapping a keg of the finest IPA nectar.

I believe 'our guy,' Bodacious, has more starts than any QB in CFB including ND's Sam Hartman.

And Cam McCormick is asking the NCAA to allow him to play his 9th (!!!!!!!!!) season of college ball. 

Calling Doctor McCormick, emergency in South Beach!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 5:32 PM, cartm25 said:

I hope the game is not close at that point because, if so, it’s a dog fight to the end.

I'm not suggesting it will be close at that point, just that I think their starting O-line will have no gas left in the tank by that time. 

Lots of starts and expienctcan help... 

But are they physically gifted enough to be dominant. So far not the case. 

I mean... I could have perfect technique as an offensive lineman and loads of expirence... but at the end of the day I'm no where near big enough to compete with those players and they'll knock me ony butt every time. 

Colorado has bigger linemen than me that's for sure... but are they going to be physically big enough and fast enough to keep up with the better pass rushers in the conference? 

We have yet to see that. 

You can get a lot of good talent from the transfer portal. But there is also a lot of talent in the portal because they weren't that good where they used to play as well. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

David, and here I had you pegged to make a return to the NFL! I'm rooting for you. Lots of milkshakes, weight lifting, and Puddles-like push-ups could do the job.

On 9/20/2023 at 9:51 PM, Desert Duck said:

I'm not suggesting it will be close at that point, just that I think their starting O-line will have no gas left in the tank by that time. 

Everyone hopes that's the case because Oregon has the history of scoring quickly - oftentimes too quickly - and the opponents get lots of offensive opportunities.  I'm hoping Colorado experiences a lot of 3 and outs (tho I don't expect it, really) and it's their D-line that gets worn out instead.  

This game.... this game just seems to me to be such a wildcard as to what is actually going to happen given the explosive natures of both offenses and the defensive lapses both teams have had to struggle with.  I just can't get any kind of feel for what is actually going to happen.  It could be an Oregon curb-stomping or it could be a heart-stopping affair.  I just don't know.  But I do feel confident Oregon will win.

• Applause 1