Steven A

Funny Responses to Keyshawn Stating Other Coaches Helped Oregon

All the other FBS coaches: “You know what might work, Dan? You could try having MUCH better players than they have on both lines of scrimmage. Kind of experimental, but it’s got a shot!”

Can confirm. Jay Norvell and Matt Rhule called Tosh and secretly told him to sack Shadeur a bunch.

And from Colorado Barstool they get it:  This is so dumb and the media creating narratives like this is why nobody likes us.  We were completely outclassed on both lines. They beat our butt. Let’s move on

WWW.MSN.COM

I think everyone of us could have provided "insight" on how to beat CU.  Most notably, show up and don't let the cheerleaders play until the 4th quarter.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

After looking at the facts and data, and eliminating the media noise, I went out on what I thought was a bit of a limb and predicted Oregon would win by 26. By just looking at the data, I thought the Buffs were a very average team. 

But my predicted score was nowhere near close. I had Oregon winning 54-26.

I never thought that we could hold CU to 6 points. Our defense was just nails. 

I thought we'd end up running them out of Autzen... but that their offense would chase after us at least a little bit, requiring us to keep most of our 1st & 2nd string offense in the game. But nope. 

I'm hoping that CU is a decent team, and that our guys are, in fact, way better than I expected them to be. A couple more weeks of play will provide the answer. 

But regardless, Saturday was a wonderful "OH WOW" moment. 

If Dan hadn’t called off the studs the Ducks probably score 60 or so and 🦨 the buffs.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Of particular note that I was discussing with Charles was the vastly improved play by the secondary (in particular Khyree Jackson).  They covered the Colorado receivers like a wet blanket, leaving Shedeur with no options to throw to and subsequently getting sacked 7 times.  This bodes well for the Washington game, the Fuskies don't know what's coming!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Florence's name wasn't even called. That says a ton. There could be other reasons but it tells me they weren't even targeting Florence. If you guys know more, do tell.

Jacksons name was called a bunch. Dude was put on an island and he was sensational. Compleatly locked up his side of the field.

I am asuming that Florence got safety help because Jackson didn't need help. 

Jackson was on the best WR's all night. With Sanders not having time to get past first read it made the secondary job pretty easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, Log Haulin said:

Florence's name wasn't even called. That says a ton. There could be other reasons but it tells me they weren't even targeting Florence. If you guys know more, do tell.

Erik Skopil reported today on Duck Territory that Florence only played 16 snaps:

"Cornerback Jahlil Florence did not take part in the full contact drills, and was off to the side during stretch — typically a sign of a partial participant. The starting corner played just 16 snaps on Saturday."

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks held their first of two open practices this week on Tuesday morning. Here's a recap of everything media saw during the 20 available minutes.

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Thanks 1

This weekend should be a good indicator for our match-up with USC. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. If Colorado scores as many points a ASU did on the Trojans, they might be in trouble when we play.

I'm sure that Riley will let Williams have his Heisman moment and play him until deep into the fourth quarter, but defensively they are going to be in trouble against us, think 2012.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:01 PM, Fathertime said:

This weekend should be a good indicator for our match-up with USC. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. If Colorado scores as many points a ASU did on the Trojans, they might be in trouble when we play.

I'm sure that Riley will let Williams have his Heisman moment and play him until deep into the fourth quarter, but defensively they are going to be in trouble against us, think 2012.

Buffs will drop 40 on Trojan. 

On 9/26/2023 at 12:50 PM, Just Ducky said:

If Dan hadn’t called off the studs the Ducks probably score 60 or so and 🦨 the buffs.

Oregon should have scored another touchdown. Kasper dropped a pass and then the offensive play calling got a bit cute and Oregon went 4 and out when they should have gotten 7 more.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 5:25 PM, Log Haulin said:

Buffs will drop 40 on Trojan. 

Not sure I'm willing to say 40... but I think at least 28. 

Colorado is a better team and San Jose and ASU and both managed to get 28.

• Applause 1

USC's last score off a turnover from a back up QB. ASU was still in the Game to the end, how can that be from a TOP 10 team?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 5:01 PM, Fathertime said:

I think sc knows that we set the standard vs CU and they must try and duplicate the effort and score.

Anything less, and we will have a new harvest of whine in SoCal.

Better yet, lose and the Grinch will have stolen their Christmas.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 1:15 PM, kirklandduck said:

Of particular note that I was discussing with Charles was the vastly improved play by the secondary (in particular Khyree Jackson).  They covered the Colorado receivers like a wet blanket, leaving Shedeur with no options to throw to and subsequently getting sacked 7 times.  This bodes well for the Washington game, the Fuskies don't know what's coming!

This begs the question: was it the pass rush that helped the Duck Secondary cover the Colorado WR's or was it the coverage of the WR's that led to the 7 sacks and a lot of hurries or throw-aways?  Kinda like the 'chicken or egg' question: which came 1st?  

Given that Shedeur was reported (somewhere) as having a release time of under 2 seconds per attempt, I'd tend to agree with your assessment that it was the Duck Secondary that led to the sacks (that, and a porous O-line) instead of the other way around.  This bodes very well for Oregon going forward against teams like Washington and Washington State.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why is Keyshawn looking for excuses to explain away Colorado's loss?  

Is he worried it will detract somehow from his former team's performance against the Buffs this weekend?  Or is he hoping to 'gild the lily', so to speak, when USC takes them down (assuming they do) implying "they" (USC) would never dream of gathering intelligence about an opponent, because they don't need it?

Sportscasters should be very careful when making charges about any specific team, esp. one in the same conference as their own alma mater.  As far as I'm concerned Keyshawn lacks objectivity and would best be ignored for this comment.  Take it for what it's worth: nothing.

On 9/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, Mic said:

This begs the question: was it the pass rush that helped the Duck Secondary cover the Colorado WR's or was it the coverage of the WR's that led to the 7 sacks and a lot of hurries or throw-aways?  Kinda like the 'chicken or egg' question: which came 1st?  

Given that Shedeur was reported (somewhere) as having a release time of under 2 seconds per attempt, I'd tend to agree with your assessment that it was the Duck Secondary that led to the sacks (that, and a porous O-line) instead of the other way around.  This bodes very well for Oregon going forward against teams like Washington and Washington State.

I'd say those two things actually feed each other.  The defensive line getting better penetration into the pocket reduces the amount of time Shedeur had to throw the ball, allowing the secondary to not be stuck for long period of time chasing receivers.  Conversely by covering the receivers well the secondary is giving the defensive line time to collapse the pocket and force Shedeur into making a bad decision (for instance, holding onto the ball too long).  Those two things will ebb and flow over the course of the game and results in a good defensive balance.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/28/2023 at 3:46 PM, Mic said:

Why is Keyshawn looking for excuses to explain away Colorado's loss?  

Is he worried it will detract somehow from his former team's performance against the Buffs this weekend?  Or is he hoping to 'gild the lily', so to speak, when USC takes them down (assuming they do) implying "they" (USC) would never dream of gathering intelligence about an opponent, because they don't need it?

Sportscasters should be very careful when making charges about any specific team, esp. one and the same conference as their own alma mater.  As far as I'm concerned Keyshawn lacks objectivity and would best be ignored for this comment.  Take it for what it's worth: nothing.

In defense of some of these pundits, I will say that the “Ducks vs. Them” video hadn’t been released before they started making their comments. Once the trash talk videos were released everybody has been pretty silent. They’ve all decided to move on. 

On 9/28/2023 at 6:26 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

In defense of some of these pundits, I will say that the “Ducks vs. Them” video hadn’t been released before they started making their comments. Once the trash talk videos were released everybody has been pretty silent. They’ve all decided to move on. 

Should be mildly interesting to see how the pundits react as Colorado loses more games.  For Oregon's SOS rating it would be beneficial for the Buffs to keep winning - but they won't.  I'd hazard a guess they'll finish around .500 for the season, which is still a major improvement for them. A few other Pac-12 teams are gonna "get me now" as their coach says, before this season ends.   Notice the use of the word "me".

On 9/28/2023 at 4:37 PM, kirklandduck said:

I'd say those two things actually feed each other.  The defensive line getting better penetration into the pocket reduces the amount of time Shedeur had to throw the ball, allowing the secondary to not be stuck for long period of time chasing receivers.  Conversely by covering the receivers well the secondary is giving the defensive line time to collapse the pocket and force Shedeur into making a bad decision (for instance, holding onto the ball too long).  Those two things will ebb and flow over the course of the game and results in a good defensive balance.

Kirklandduck, Great description - accurate! Most people settle on the "Is it the chicken or the egg" argument; you were wise enough to go past that and zero in on the system that the coverage and the rush create. They both work together symbiotically. They (and the system) were a thing of beauty we have not seen before with the Ducks. We saw partial flashes of it years ago, but the coaches only were able to create it here-and-there. Nice explanation. You kept it simple. Thank you. 

I admit to being more than curious whether our Ducks can apply this system to Stanford's two-headed monster. Don't look past the SU coach. As DL noted, while the current SU HC was coach at Sac State, he defeated several PAC-12 teams. He is a good thinker and recruiter. This may be our Ducks last opportunity to really say thanks to Stanford for all the difficulties they have presented to us. As DL states, It's all about us. We are playing Oregon, or words to that effect.

I remain VR,

KCDuck1