kirklandduck

Could OSU and WSU Split $320 Million Next Season?

The fact that this is even a minor possibility does explain in part why OSU/WSU has taken the Pac12 to court.

I posted this over yonder.  Thought is was interesting. Hope they have some smart people on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 2:26 PM, kirklandduck said:

The fact that this is even a minor possibility does explain in part why OSU/WSU has taken the Pac12 to court.

WowZaa... $150-ish million each would be one heluva PAC 12 parting gift. I wish them all the luck with this.

Keep the PAC 2 alive for one more season and pocket lottery like cash, and then hopefully make the jump in the 2025 season.

Or, leverage ESPN and the cash right now, to get into the Big 12 for next season. 

If this news is solid, I'm really happy for the opportunities this situation is going to provide the Cougars and River-Rats. 

On 9/26/2023 at 2:57 PM, Desert Duck said:

WowZaa... $150-ish million each would be one heluva PAC 12 parting gift. I wish them all the luck with this.

Keep the PAC 2 alive for one more season and pocket lottery like cash, and then hopefully make the jump in the 2025 season.

Or, leverage ESPN and the cash right now, to get into the Big 12 for next season. 

If this news is solid, I'm really happy for the opportunities this situation is going to provide the Cougars and River-Rats. 

I know right??

The guest commentator is correct in that the CFP committee must have a unanimous vote to change the structure of the CFP from 6 automatic bids (5 power 5 champs + 1 G5 champ) + 6 automatic qualifiers to something with 5 automatic bids to reduce the number of power conference champions....so staying in the P12 right now is the way to go for OSU/WSU.  If they figure out the right merger with the Mountain West, the Beavs and Cougs have a huge opportunity to get into the CFP by railroading G5 competition next season.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe Kirkland's definition of eligibility is slightly in error.

Instead, I believe it is:  "top four conference champions, followed by some combination of the top six at-large bids and two highest-ranked remaining conference champions. Teams will be ordered based on the College Football Playoff rankings."

Result:  a Power 5 Champion doesn't necessarily get an "automatic" bid.  It still must be strong in the CFP rankings to get an at-large bid.  If for example, in 2024, the Mt. West Champ and Conference USA Champ were ranked above the Pac2 Champ, then the Pac2 would go into the draw bin for at-large invites.  In that case, they better hope their "resume" of wins exceeds other at-large candidates.

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

The Sporting News provides a detailed explainer on the College Football Playoff, from start date to format to how it would look in 2022.

When the "rule" was developed no one assumed a 5th Power 5 champ would be ranked too low, and thus would be a defacto "automatic."  But, that is not how the rule is written.  A Mt. West, Sunbelt, MAC champions could be higher and two get the "automatic" spots over a Power5.  For example, if the Pac2 champ was ranked No. 15 while the Mt. West and Sunbelt were No. 12 and No. 13, then the Pac2 champ would be fighting for one of the six at-large, and if they were No. 15 would be unlikely to get in.

This is a bargaining chip alright, but only as long as Schultz sits on the CFP committee.  As soon as he's gone the whole thing gets rewritten, which happens regardless when the CFP deal with ESPN expires.

That said it's a hell of a chip in the short term IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's what all Beavs and Cougs are hoping happens...My question for Beavs is why did it take until last year for your administration to invest in the sport that makes other college sports possible?? What did you do with all the money the conference was getting since 2000,? Saving it up because you didn't want to be in debt and now you want to take the money away from the other schools that have earned it for the conference?

The CFB Committee is not bound by the NCAA. If the Committee does not consider two teams an actual conference, then that pipe dream is over. Essentially, it's not happening.

If the CFB Committee does not consider a PAC/MW conference (with only OSU and WSU coming from the PAC) to be a Power 5 conference, then they will simply not be one. So, yeah. Not happening.  

The CFP can't break the contract that exists thru 2024.  They can't randomly change their minds about a conference.  CFP isn't bound by the NCAA, but they are bound by the contract they signed.  That is a nice little loophole they found.

This and their supposed relegation model is nothing but smoke. We all found out who the true power brokers are in college football. No way they allow a PAC Two, plus a bunch of G5 schools, have any say. The lawsuit, talks of keeping a seat at the table is a power play to ESPN. "Get us into the Big 12".

They should be added regardless, not out of pity. They are the best two options the Big 12 could get if they want to grow. It's about the collective in the Big 12. They don't have a premier brand, and they won't get one. Clemson, FSU, or North Carolina aren't joining.

Whittingham keeps insinuating Utah is headed for the B1G in the future. I don't know why, 

Apparently, any change to the 6+6 format must be unanimous , meaning all 11 conferences must approve the change under the contract ( which lasts till 2026).  The AAC says they will not approve any changes.

The PAC2 has two years to garner eight members, and of course they more than likely drop to G5 status.

A looming threat would be the SEC and the BIG moving on.  Kind of like creating an AFC and NFC.  That would be an earthquake for sure ( but the backlash may be huge outside their respective footprints).  

Hopefully, common sense will return, and regional divisions in any format will return to the game.  TV does hold massive sway, and like it or not, the WSUs and Oregon States of college football must dramatically improve their brand value.  

• Thumbs Up 1