Mic

One Remarkable Statistic That Means ....?

So far, thru 5 games: Oregon: 258 points scored - against 59 points allowed.  Oregon has outscored 5 opponents by almost 200 points, an average of 40 ppg.  Certainly this will change going forward as opponents get better and tougher, but it's still a remarkable feat.  And one still gets the feeling that Dan Lanning's team hasn't put the foot all the way down on the throttle even yet.  PSU maybe excepted.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Great post!

I guess being in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive scoring will do that.

As a Duck fan, it’s been a looooooooong time since we’ve seen numbers like this.

When was the last time we had a top-10 D?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

On 10/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

When was the last time we had a top-10 D?

Wow. That's a good question.  I'm sure someone on the board here probably knows.  Maybe Charles has an idea.?

In 2019-we only gave up 16 points per game, but that would not rank in the top 10, I’m sure.

IDK, although my guess would be “never.”  It is going to near impossible to average giving up on 12 points a game from this point forward, but my goal of averaging 20 points a game is attainable.

With the Will Stein offense—if we achieved the 20 point goal-I think Oregon wins most, if not all their games!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The "Gang Green" defense of 1994 (?) was one of the best ever, or at least the most celebrated. 

I do not know the statistics, however. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:47 AM, Triphibius said:

The "Gang Green" defense of 1994 (?) was one of the best ever, or at least the most celebrated. 

I did find this 1994 Oregon team stats:

th?id=OIP.4XTvd-88AoShq9IPl5wstAHaFs%26p

WWW.SPORTS-REFERENCE.COM

1994 Oregon Ducks Stats

Gang Green: A Painful Experience: Story of the 1994 Oregon Duck Football Team

A couple of great videos below of the 'Gang Green' defense.  Wow, a very young Nick Aliotti in an interview video.

KVAL.COM

EUGENE, Ore. - Kenny Wheaton's 1994 interception against Washington has been called the play that changed Oregon football history, but as great as that play was it's only part of the bigger...

Interestingly under CK, Mr. Offense, we had the number 12 and 13 ranked defenses a couple of his years. It was under Helfrich the defense fell apart, and that was one of the indicators he was in over his head. It has taken this long to really reestablish that standard.

After the 2010 season CK defense was ranked #12. CK proved you could have an elite offense and defense. 

Frost led the thinking you couldn't recruit to Oregon, and many thought you couldn't have both a top offense and defense. Chip Kelly started the move towards dispelling that misunderstanding, Lanning may solidify it!

Lanning is again going after these metrics. Can Lanning match or improve on what CK did at Oregon, big question!

On 10/2/2023 at 7:47 AM, Triphibius said:

Gang Green gave up an average of 19 ppg.

And they were awesome. 

On 10/2/2023 at 7:47 AM, Triphibius said:

The problem comparing any current defense to Gang Green is that Gang Green never had to face the offensive proliferation that has happened in the last 15 years. 

The game in 94 was defensive focused where it isn't as much today. 

Still an incredible defense and a great model to strive for. 

This might give people a small indication of how the game (and particularly offenses) have changed since the 1994 Gang Green team:

Total points scored by Oregon (11 games, 9-4) were 329 (29.9 ppg).  Points scored against O were 212 (19.2 ppg). A diff. of 11 points ppg.

This season so far: Oregon (5 games, 5-0) are 258 (51.8 ppg).  Points scored against O are 59 (11.8 ppg).  A diff. of 40 ppg.

Even if Oregon sees point production drop by 25% going forward, in the remaining 7 games (not counting post season) the Ducks would score an additional 272 points for a 12-game total of ~529 points.  A 33% decrease in production would still generate ~240 more points for a total of 498 points!

I would think that despite the increased level of competition ahead of them, Oregon could still manage to score ~33 points per game, average, which is 33% below the average so far. Adjust for 11 games (instead of 12) and the point total could still be as high as 456 points.

Gone are the days when 17 points win you many games.  Maybe in a Championship game with two terrific defenses but probably not even then.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1