Thomallister1291

Future Non-Conference Games in the Big-Ten?

As y'all may know, I'm a passionate fan for non-conference scheduling, and my favorite team is obviously Oregon.

Many people here said that we needed to wait for the Big Ten to release their scheduling model in order to further discuss what opponents the Ducks should schedule in their non-conference slates, with our furthest P5 opponent being Baylor in 2028 after series' with Michigan State and Ohio State got the boot, now that we have gotten clarification that the B1G will remain at 9 conference games (unless another team joins), how do you expect the Ducks' future non-conference schedules to look like?

I've seen people saying that Oregon will probably just schedule local opponents to keep travel costs minimal, but I wonder if they would have any desire to schedule any former Pac-12 foe aside from Oregon State, which I think should remain in the schedule but it's looking more unlikely as time goes on and the Beavs may get relegated to the G5, so if the Ducks still want to schedule a P5 opponent, I really want a series against a SEC program, since our schedules have 3 consecutive Big 12 opponents that will not bring a lot of eyeballs in comparison to games against Alabama or LSU, plus I've heard that the Ducks won't shy away from tough competition, even if the opponents in our new conference are better than the ones in the Pac-12.

I would really like to see the Ducks scheduling more P5 teams in home and home series' even if y'all want local opponents, a series against Alabama would be awesome and I hope Greg Byrne and Rob Mullens agree to it someday, but I also want to find a way to schedule Oregon State as well.

But the point is, how do you expect Oregon's non-conference schedules to change once we join the Big Ten?

I don’t think you will ever see a Home/Away scedule with Alabama. The only time they travel out of conference boundries is for a CFP game. This may change if the balance of power changes from the SEC. But as of now, why would they? Don’t get me wrong, I wish they would, but I don’t see any reason under the current climate for them to change.

On 10/9/2023 at 10:44 AM, Phunteratc said:

I don’t think you will ever see a Home/Away scedule with Alabama. The only time they travel out of conference boundries is for a CFP game. This may change if the balance of power changes from the SEC. But as of now, why would they? Don’t get me wrong, I wish they would, but I don’t see any reason under the current climate for them to change.

Well, Alabama has scheduled a lot of P5 games against programs like Ohio State, Wisconsin and Notre Dame, they even scheduled a Western team in the form of the Arizona Wildcats.

The reason on why I want to see Alabama vs. Oregon so much is because they're my favorite programs ever and the fact that matchup has never happened in football yet, and Greg Byrne does have heavy Oregon ties.

• Whew! 1

I for one would enjoy OOC against any P5 team, but, having to go through the strength of the B1G every year, I don't want to see the likes of Alabama except in a major bowl.

I want to see if future playoff committee's actually give value to sos scheduling. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

I would hope they stay with the current format. An FCS, a G5 and a P5 opponent. I would like to see them stick with the former PAC 12 (now Big 12) teams as the P5 opponent. As a coach, I wouldn’t want to cross the Rocky Mountains for non-conference games. I sure as heck wouldn’t  take my team to Atlanta again for a preseason kickoff classic. They can come out to Vegas or LA.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'd say keep it simple and schedule MW and former Pac teams. Minimize travel and and keep the team healthy for the real part of the schedule.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2023 at 11:28 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I'd say keep it simple and schedule MW and former Pac teams. Minimize travel and and keep the team healthy for the real part of the schedule.

I like this approach but would add Oregon State as a permanent OOC opponent (if they ever get over Oregon leaving for the B1G) and focus on teams in key recruiting areas (e.g., Texas, Bay Area, Arizona) with lower level opponents (e.g., MWC, Sun Belt, C-USA, AAC). 

With the expanded playoffs and the B1G scheduling, Oregon does not need to schedule elite teams OOC.  We'll play them in the post-season, if we are good enough.

Hopefully, Oregon never has to travel to the Palouse again...

Edited by OregonDucks

On 10/9/2023 at 12:44 PM, Phunteratc said:

We have a 12-team playoff on the horizon. Play Bama, UGA, and other SEC heavyweights in the playoff.

Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State are enough of a load. And trips to the Eastern time zone will be taxing. 

In 2024, in addition to Ohio State, Michigan plays UW, Oregon, and USC. And the Wolverines also have Texas on the schedule. The heroic OOC game vs the Longhorns is likely an attempt to make up for OOC pastry shop that MI has played OOC for the last 2 seasons. But it is not smart scheduling when you will not have a B1G W champ to beat down in the B1G champ game. 

As noted in other comments above, no one knows whether the PO committee will take SOS into consideration. If the committee does so, will SOS be in the individual minds of committee members, or will a uniform SOS metric be used,

I just don't big OOC games are worth the candle. Especially when considering the money that is on the table for making the playoff.

Unless Autzen expands its seating, I see no reason why Bama would have an incentive to play in Eugene. Bryne may have contacts with UO, but Byrne was the AD at Arizona. And the Bama H+H with AZ is way down the road and may not happen.

Personally, I'd like to see the B1G and the SEC go to a 10-conference game schedule. Play an FCS opponent in the Spring Game in the season's game one, start the season in Week Zero, and move the playoff starting date up so as to have less conflict with the NFL PO and possibly, play the champ game on New Year's Day.

One thing for certain. Do not schedule 2-for-1 games with G5 teams. There is no way Oregon should be playing in Boise, Idaho, and Logan, Utah. Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State do not play MAC teams on the road. 

And I would far rather play Cal and Stanford OOC than play OK ST and Baylor, members of a P- conference. I do not being a recruit from Texas will be impressed by Oregon playing in Stillwater, OK, and Waco, TX. California will continue to be The Souce for Oregon recruiting. Play another game in California. Oregon will not be tripping to LA every season, far from it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And I would far rather play Cal and Stanford OOC than play OK ST and Baylor, members of a P- conference. I do not being a recruit from Texas will be impressed by Oregon playing in Stillwater, OK, and Waco, TX. California will continue to be The Souce for Oregon recruiting. Play another game in California. Oregon will not be tripping to LA every season, far from it.  

Oregon has made Texas a priority going back to the Chip Kelly era (e.g., LMJ, Daron Thomas) and Dan Lanning and staff are certainly in contention for top high school players in the state.  Scheduling OOC games near or in Texas is not about impressing recruits, it's about making it convenient for family and friends to attend a game and being talked about locally.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:11 PM, OregonDucks said:

I like this approach but would add Oregon State as a permanent OOC opponent (if they ever get over Oregon leaving for the B1G) and focus on teams in key recruiting areas (e.g., Texas, Bay Area, Arizona) with lower level opponents (e.g., MWC, Sun Belt, C-USA, AAC). 

Hopefully, Oregon never has to travel to the Palouse again...

I'd just as soon see the Beavers in the rearview mirror and play G5 San Jose State, or San Diego State.  There is no reason whatsoever to trip to Corvallis to play a fired-up foe in a bandbox stadium. 

Today OR ST is suing Oregon as part of the suit against the conference. The Beavers want money they have done nothing (except for 1 year in the CBB tourney and WSU has not even done this) and the money from the 2023 CFB NY6 and potential playoff games and from the CBB tournament.

To heck with OSU and WSU.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, OregonDucks said:

Oregon has made Texas a priority going back to the Chip Kelly era (e.g., LMJ, Daron Thomas) and Dan Lanning and staff are certainly in contention for top high school players in the state.  Scheduling OOC games near or in Texas is not about impressing recruits, it's about making it convenient for family and friends to attend a game and being talked about locally.

Great point. But looking at the upcoming B1G schedules, why not schedule an extra home game? Oregon will play 8 home games in 2024 and only 6 in 2025. 

It's a new paradigm for the Ducks when it comes to scheduling. Come 2024, and subsequently, no B12 team will move the viewership needle. And why give a boost to B12 recruitng that will come from playing a top team in the B1G.

Using the Week 6 rankings, the only 2 B12 schools ranked post-realignment are Utah and Kansas. Who wants anything to do with playing in SLC? And Kansas?

Ohio State has played OK OOC. Michigan has a H+H with TX starting next season. But the B!G 3 do not play OK ST., and Baylor, or any other lower level B12 team.

To me, if Oregon plays 1- OOC game it should be in Texas or San Diego. Being visible and easy for recruits/family to get to a game can pay dividends.

In the year(s) we dont have a game in LA, maybe scedule SDSU. SMU or Houston for a Texas trip, maybe.

The landscape and Duck footprint is changing. The Ducks will be on TV on Saturdays playing in the CTZ, so recruits can watch. The national prime time exposure could double or triple......

No longer being buried on the PAC Network.

Of course I am just guessing. Coach DL has a plan, his sourcing network and a Top 10 program....

A great time to be a Duck......

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2023 at 9:44 AM, Phunteratc said:

Alabama is like a firefly. It won't fly over the Rockies.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

OD, I certainly understand and respect your POV. 

But I believe that Puddles is flying to a B1Gger nest that will open up recruiting opportunities, with coverage on the B1G network and national respect that Oregon has never had going for it even though Oregon is a national and worldwide brand. I believe that Charles is spot on in noting that Oregon's already large audience could increase by 50%. So why go on the road to play a fired-up B12 opponent? Win and you were supposed to win. Take an L. It's still only 12 teams that will receive a PO bid and 1 will be a G5 team. Why take this kind of risk when a win will not be all that impactful?

Any game vs. the leftover B12 is in IMO, and for what little that is worth, is a game that will up the B12 opponent's and not the Ducks national image. The Ducks will draw more eyeballs playing Cal or Stanford than playing against marginalized B12 teams. And Oregon in the B1G does not need the strain of extra travel.

I reiterate. There is a reason why the B1G 3 have not scheduled B12 teams other than TX and OK, soon-to-be SEC teams, in the past. Ohio State has brought in many quality recruits from Texas without playing Baylor and OK State. Oregon will do the same.

Again, I get and respect your POV, you are not wrong by any measure, but like The Jefferson's Oregon is moving on up and I do not see playing B12 JV teams as doing anything to help Oregon, recruiting or otherwise. 

The B1G schedules are enough to uplift Oregon as is the national coverage Oregon is about to receive from a conference network with 60M plus subscribers.

To me, it is far more important to have at least 7 home games every season in Autzen than it is to schedule H+H vs. B12 teams that are not in the Power 2's league.

Come 2024 there will be a Power 2. A far lesser ACC and B12 and the G5. 

Now that Oregon is B1G, I think that H+H games vs. Hawaii and thereby incenting Polynesian players to sign on will be more beneficial for Oregon than playing B12 leftovers H+H. And having a 13th game resulting in an additional home game every other year will bring more money into the coffers and to Eugene.

Again, I more than respect your POV.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 10/9/2023 at 5:11 PM, Jon Joseph said:

So why go on the road to play a fired-up B12 opponent?

Just to clarify, I said that Oregon should try to schedule games in and around Texas with teams from the Mountain West, Sun Belt, Conference-USA or AAC conferences. I did not mention the Big 12.

Edited by OregonDucks

I know that this will sound extremely controversial, but I actually don't want Oregon to go around and just schedule the former Pac-12 foes that are now in the Big 12 and ACC.

I get that Oregon's new schedule in the Big Ten will be extremely different from what we faced off in our history in the Pac-12, but seriously, scheduling cupcakes won't be good at all, the only local opponents that Oregon should schedule are G5 opponents from the Mountain West (I doubt the B1G will allow us to schedule FCS teams anymore).

Plus I'm sure that the Pac-12 members that don't share a conference will want to go different ways with their programs, I've heard OrSU doesn't want more games against us even tho we want to continue the Civil War.

I really want Oregon to schedule a SEC team, no matter if it is Alabama or a lower tier team like Florida, because competition will make our program stronger and I want more diverse opponents from conferences we barely have any history with, in comparison to the Big 12 which has 3 consecutive home and homes with us, and we won't have to worry about losing more than 2 games because of the 12 team playoff.

We don't have to fill our schedules with SEC teams but I would prefer at least a series against a team from there in comparison with very constant home and homes against the Four Corners schools.