GatOrlando

Washington Picking Fights on Three Fronts

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

New Washington Huskies AD Troy Dannen took an unprovoked shot at Ohio State and Texas...

Well the Huskies have not been quiet leading up to their top ten matchup with Oregon. First things, they are hosting GameDay. They are in a potential eliminator on Saturday.

Second is the filing to join the lawsuit on behalf the ten departing members, since the injunction was filed by Washington State.

Lastly, their new A.D was announced. He sure wasn't being paper dull.  Calling out Texas and Ohio State. Saying if money indicated success, Ohio State and Texas would be winning everything. Except they suck!!!!! Bold Huskies. Let's see if their bite matches their bark. Starting Saturday.

• Yikes! 1

On 10/10/2023 at 7:26 AM, GatOrlando said:
WWW.OUTKICK.COM

New Washington Huskies AD Troy Dannen took an unprovoked shot at Ohio State and Texas...

Second is the filing to join the lawsuit on behalf the ten departing members, since the injunction was filed by Washington State.

If granted, UW would then ask Whitman County (Wash.) Superior Court to grant a motion to dismiss the lawsuit.

THEATHLETIC.COM

The outgoing Pac-12 schools have also entered into a mediation process with Wazzu and Oregon State scheduled through October.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/10/2023 at 7:39 AM, Annie said:

If granted, UW would then ask Whitman County (Wash.) Superior Court to grant a motion to dismiss the lawsuit.

THEATHLETIC.COM

The outgoing Pac-12 schools have also entered into a mediation process with Wazzu and Oregon State scheduled through October.

I think the argument from the ten departing programs is that they didn't break any contract, they just didn't resign that grant of rights deal. Mostly due to the leagues incompetence ,and that they didn't want to dissolve the conference after USC, UCLA, and later Colorado left. They wanted to make it work, but the league just didn't give them a deal even close to what they could call competitive. 

The two orphans are stating irreparable damages, and stating how USC, and UCLA were stripped of having any future say when they announced they were leaving. So why now, does that not apply to the ten who all left after that? I don't care to get too involved with this, as it's just going to result in a settlement of some sort. The orphans just want a little bigger piece of the going away cake. They're never going to have the spotlight they do now. Those checks are gonna shrink, and they are gonna be sitting at the kiddie table. If they can clip the "traitors" just a bit. It feels like a little retribution. I still think the Big 12 should just take them in at a reduced rate. Gonzaga is in talks to join as a basketball only member. Oregon State would bring a great baseball tradition.

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gonzaga has more value to the B12 than WSU and OSU? Clearly only Pac fans find value in these schools. The rest of the country seems to care less.

I guess OSU should have built value in the program instead of whinning about Uncle Phil and Oregon over the years.

Oh well, it's Beavus problem.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The intervention by UW and the other nine schools indicates to me that there must be some value to whatever remains of the PAC's assets. The ten schools wouldn't be doing this if there was no money involved.

And, it's not just Washington picking a fight; the other nine schools have filed a friend of the court brief supporting UW's argument.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:30 AM, jrw said:

The intervention by UW and the other nine schools indicates to me that there must be some value to whatever remains of the PAC's assets. The ten schools wouldn't be doing this if there was no money involved.

And, it's not just Washington picking a fight; the other nine schools have filed a friend of the court brief supporting UW's argument.

From what I read, Washington was doing this on behalf of all ten programs, the two are trying to freeze out. Had it been Oregon State filing it in an Oregon court, the ten would be represented by Oregon. Has there been a released figure of the conference's assets opposed to it's debts? 

On 10/10/2023 at 10:12 AM, GatOrlando said:

From what I read, Washington was doing this on behalf of all ten programs, the two are trying to freeze out. Had it been Oregon State filing it in an Oregon court, the ten would be represented by Oregon. Has there been a released figure of the conference's assets opposed to it's debts? 

Not going to lie.... I'm happy it's Washington that is the face of this. They get to be the villain in this case for the narrative's sake. 

• Applause 1

Amidst the litigation (send in the overpaid lawyers) the parties have agreed to mediation. 

This is a matter that should be settled with neither party likely to be happy which = a good settlement.

Civil War carries on in the courtroom. If it doesn't carry on on the field, fine with me.

The 2 left-behind schools are looking for the money they did little, except for 1 run in the CBB tourney by OSU, to earn.

If I am not mistaken, OSU and WSU had representatives on the Pac-12 'Board of Directors' who helped the conference to crater.

GO BRUINS!

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 10/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, David Marsh said:

Not going to lie.... I'm happy it's Washington that is the face of this. They get to be the villain in this case for the narrative's sake. 

Jon Wilner's recent autopsy of the Pac-12 demise called out Washington and not Oregon as being the NW school that first cratered the Amazon deal. 

And the Utah prez was the guy screaming the loadest fo $50M a year from ESPN.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 10/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Amazon deal

Apple? Or was there a deal with Amazon in hadn't heard about. 

I know Oregon was probably more flexible with the media deal as long as it assured access to the playoff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2023 at 3:04 PM, David Marsh said:

Apple? Or was there a deal with Amazon in hadn't heard about. 

I know Oregon was probably more flexible with the media deal as long as it assured access to the playoff. 

Thanks. I took a bite out of the wrong Apple.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:23 AM, Log Haulin said:

Gonzaga has more value to the B12 than WSU and OSU? Clearly only Pac fans find value in these schools. The rest of the country seems to care less.

I guess OSU should have built value in the program instead of whinning about Uncle Phil and Oregon over the years.

I think their value isn't the same. It's like when the Big East was alive as a P6 league. They had more members in basketball than football. When the football side lost it's P6 status, the AAC was born for it's football members. The Big East became basketball only. What the Big 12 is doing is similar it appears. UCONN basketball has been rumored as a candidate, but for basketball only.

On 10/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, David Marsh said:

Kind of like what FSU was doing this past Summer. Now Clemson is making waves apparently.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:23 AM, Log Haulin said:

He's in denial, like Oregon State....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

The standard Clue game has 324 possible outcomes with 6 characters, 6 weapons, and nine rooms.

Imagine 10 characters, 10 rooms and untold weapons?

Yet our rodent friends want to jump to the conclusion it was 1 character (Oregon), 1 room (Casanova Center), and 1 weapon (PK).  Why?  Because it is just easier for the simple minded to focus on one outcome.  Don’t want to waste their time considering Miss Scarlet, with a candlestick, in the conservatory.  It doesn’t fit their preconceived narrative.

They should re-read Wilner again:

https://sports360az.com/and-utah-makes-10-how-every-departing-pac-12-school-drove-a-knife-into-the-conference/

Without considering a more comprehensive view they be the ones who succumb to the candlestick.

• Great post! 1

It is one thing to claim that ten other schools screwed you, but let's consider the proof of your poor value--how many offers did you get from other Power-5 conferences?  Even at a discount?  Even at a Cal/Stanford discount?

Still no takers?

And WE are the problem?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Good point.  If "we" only have value by whom we associate with, that doesn't say much about our own value.   Thus, sounds petty to blame the others.  And, doesn't that potentially drag down their value to maintain the association for your benefit?

The sequence:

USC/UCLA - felt dragged down by an association (Pac12)

Colorado - bailed while they could still project value on their own

UW/UO - options narrowing, chose a lifeboat offer that would be their offer to accept alone, two seats available

Arizona -  eyelids flirting with Big12, reserved a boat in case a better deal wasn't forthcoming

Utah, ASU - jumped from the deck before the ship sank

Cal, Stanford - bought a less ocean worthy raft with their stockpile of academic asset tokens

WSU, OSU - no tokens, no offers, no lifeboat - so far

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now that their value is shown to be so poor relative to our conference, and all the other Power-Five conferences, shouldn’t they reflect on how generous we were sharing equal revenue with them?

Shouldn’t they count their blessings of the past, instead of being angry at us for doing what they would’ve done as well?

Mr. FishDuck

I really hate the idea of communion. In a free market society, you have the option of taking risks, and winning/losing big. Beavis and Coogly were happy being mid to bottom tier for years in those matchstick stadiums. One to two years of being good doesn't change your history. Suddenly they see the writing on the wall and try to be proactive. Then cry fowl on them being excluded. 

I'm tired of all this poor Beavis, poor Coogy sentiment. You've sucked the blood from your in state rivals for years. You don't belong in a league worth a dime, because you don't offer anything. Shut up, grow up, and stand on your own two feet. You've contributed nothing to making the conference any more valuable, and evidently everyone else shares that thought. You've been appraised, you are an Edsel.

YOU GET NOTHING!!! YOU LOSE SIR!!!! GOOD DAY!!!

There are a ton of moving parts, but the PAC stopped USC/UCLA from voting once they announced they were leaving.  I don't see how that is any different now that everybody else is leaving.  The only people really winning are the lawyers.  There is definitely money, but there is also debt.  OSU/WSU pay keeping the PAC, they also get the debt.

With everybody leaving they are getting what they want, I'm not sure why they are fighting OSU/WSU who are getting the short end of the stick.  They get a few extra years of having a bit of money, then they are G5.

Like the saying goes, somethings only worth what someone is willing to pay for. House, car, football team, etc.