Charles Fischer

One Time I Agree with Jon Wilner...(Dan Lanning)

I gotta say...Jon Wilner surprised me with what he wrote below...

Did Lanning not learn his lesson? Can he not distinguish between an aggressive approach and reckless decisions?

Combine the short field goals that he didn’t try Saturday afternoon with the short field he gave the Huskies and you have a 13-point swing in a three-point game.

His comments after Saturday’s loss: “This game’s 100 percent on me.”

His comments after last year’s loss: “This game 100 percent falls on me.”

He’s being paid handsomely to not repeat his mistakes, especially against the hated Huskies.

Yes, and a good Duck-Buddy reminded me of something an hour ago..."Aren't you the guy who says, 'Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early?,' and I had hang my head.

This is Dan's weakness among all his amazing strengths.  I have to hope for one of the two below:

1. That he finally embraces what experienced, savvy, winning coaches do, and takes the damn points, or...

2. There is an adult in the room among his staff and analysts who shouts in the headset...."Take the Damn Points!"

I know.  I gotta follow my own rule and not vent on people.  Thanks for all the good people here who may disagree, but do so with class and dignity. 

We Love Our Ducks...

Close fans by J3P.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, as a loyal OBDF member i dont feel you are criticizing Coach Lanning personally.

Its his decision making you are criticizing....well I think you are....

Hec, some of Steins Marioesque, repetitious play calls didnt work and added to the loss.

I am very excited about DL and the staff members he has assembled. They are building something special.

Its okay to expect better choices and decisions from coaches. Those choices are part of the fabric of the game.

DL and his staff have lost 4 high profile games in 2 years against 10 win plus teams.

3 of those losses by less than a combined 10 points. DL has to set the team up to succeed. Not put them in a position to fail.

Guess what? Every team in the CFP will have more than 10 wins. So better coaching decisions will be needed going forward.

Just my feelings......

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 3:37 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Charles, as a loyal OBDF member i don't feel you are criticizing Coach Lanning personally.

Right.  It is about his decisions, but in no way am I stating or implying anything personal....since he is a whole smarter than I.

Rule No. 26 says we can be negative and critical of coach's decisions and player performance--as long as we don't get personal.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1

Mr. FishDuck

Chip Kelly was an aggressive play caller at U of O. He was 4 and 0 against our hated rivals from the north.

When does aggressive cross the line to wreck less?

Edited by Chas Man
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2023 at 3:30 PM, Log Haulin said:

We get it!

I'll take the hint.  Thanks.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I work with people who have too much gusto and those without. I will take those who have too much and tone them down over firing up somebody who is lacking all day.

We had somebody who spoke like a champion, but had little of the inner fire power needed. We now have a guy who has too much real chutzpah, and I love it!

The thing he said in the interview is he has to review what he did, and the end of the half decision was something he needs to look at. I think we have a guy who is aware, and able to adjust. Maybe not fast enough to quell the old guard, but he has 'it,' and nobody can deny that.

• Thumbs Up 2

The saddest part of all this is the kids played well enough to win by 2 scores. The coaches blew the game. Steins play calling was very poor in key situations and DL needs to take the points whenever he can get them.

On the other side of the ball TL coached one hell of a game against a very good offense. If Penix wasn’t so unbelievably accurate we blow them out.

Time to move on to WSU and win big at home.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Wilner nailed it!  Very accurate description: “reckless” v. “Aggressive”.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 4:18 PM, Just Ducky said:

The saddest part of all this is the kids played well enough to win by 2 scores.

These are no longer kids imo. They are legal adults getting paid a lot of money to play a game. And they didn't execute. They play a part in this and to say they didn't isn't accurate.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 6:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I gotta say...Jon Wilner surprised me with what he wrote below...

Did Lanning not learn his lesson? Can he not distinguish between an aggressive approach and reckless decisions?

Combine the short field goals that he didn’t try Saturday afternoon with the short field he gave the Huskies and you have a 13-point swing in a three-point game.

His comments after Saturday’s loss: “This game’s 100 percent on me.”

His comments after last year’s loss: “This game 100 percent falls on me.”

He’s being paid handsomely to not repeat his mistakes, especially against the hated Huskies.

Yes, and a good Duck-Buddy reminded me of something an hour ago..."Aren't you the guy who says, 'Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early?,' and I had hang my head.

This is Dan's weakness among all his amazing strengths.  I have to hope for one of the two below:

1. That he finally embraces what experienced, savvy, winning coaches do, and takes the damn points, or...

2. There is an adult in the room among his staff and analysts who shouts in the headset...."Take the Damn Points!"

I know.  I gotta follow my own rule and not vent on people.  Thanks for all the good people here who may disagree, but do so with class and dignity. 

We Love Our Ducks...

Close fans by J3P.jpg

How about, take the points along with these 2 fans!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, Haywarduck said:

I work with people who have too much gusto and those without. I will take those who have too much and tone them down over firing up somebody who is lacking all day.

We had somebody who spoke like a champion, but had little of the inner fire power needed. We now have a guy who has too much real chutzpah, and I love it!

The thing he said in the interview is he has to review what he did, and the end of the half decision was something he needs to look at. I think we have a guy who is aware, and able to adjust. Maybe not fast enough to quell the old guard, but he has 'it,' and nobody can deny that.

This post is spot on.  

On 10/15/2023 at 3:44 PM, Chas Man said:

Chip Kelly was an aggressive play caller at U of O. He was 4 and 0 against our hated rivals from the north.

When does aggressive cross the line to wreck less?

Chip coached at a time when the P12 was far less competitive.  Just adding for context.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with Jon Wilner.

If I was HC, I would've gone with the surer probabilities and kicked the FG's and punted the ball on 4th down especially given the position around midfield and game situation. Then try to rely on our D to stop the Washington offense. The 4th down conversions may have worked against the lesser talented teams we had played, but UW's D was at another level higher, and the probabilities of converting obviously would be lower.

But of course I'm just giving my opinion as a naive spectator and Ducks fan lol.

IMO Lanning was saying to his players that he had faith in them. Apparently more than I did. To me the game was lost in the 1st quarter. Ducks are a team that thrives on 0 to 60 in a few plays-when they are not and playing a great team they usually lose. One poster said that the game plan was flawed from the beginning of the game and I agree. I am proud that they didnt let the game get of hand though. 

I’m wondering if the sting of the missed field goal would’ve stung less had we gone for the end zone more in the final minute? Even if we had incomplete passes, would it had stung less?

Edited by UtahDucksFan
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just a little insight on Jon Wilner.  He was the beat writer at the San Jose Mercury News for Stanford.  Harbaugh loathed him when he was the HC there.  He wanted Stanford to strip his press credentials but they could not.  He literally used to follow Harbaugh around the facility in hopes of getting a ‘scoop’.

During his time at Stanford which coincided with Chip’s time at Oregon,  Wilner loathed Chip.  Don’t know specifics but just know he did not like him at all.

Harbaugh leaves and goes to the Niners and guess who becomes one of the 49er beat guys? Yep, good ole Jon.  Harbaugh obviously had greater leverage with the 49ers than at Stanford so they gave him limited media access.  Jon was known among the press corp as Jim’s lap dog.

He then went back to college football but he was not well liked among the sports press in the Bay Area.

• Applause 1

The only thing I think is, what if we had kicked the field goals and lost by 3 or 6 points? Would we the fans be just as ticked that he kicked field goals instead of going for it and trying to get a TD? 

It's easy to look in the rear view mirror and see how it went, but we also don't know how being down by x amount of points would have made the huskies play differently. 

Chip's 4th down aggression almost always came with a tactical advantage of speed and personnel.  It was usually short yardage when the defense still had nickel and dime personnel on the field.  The offense knew the play call based on the situation and executed quickly.

I had the Ducks losing one game on the road this year and I figured it would be Washington.  Every goal remains achievable this year and no contender has beaten another contender on the road yet.  Ducks will run the table and make the playoff.  Payback in the PAC-12 title game will be sweet when media will be singing the Washington praise and Penix for Heisman.  It will resemble the Colorado beat down.

Edited by mikethehiker
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:15 AM, mikethehiker said:

Chip's 4th down aggression almost always came with a tactical advantage of speed and personnel.  It was usually short yardage when the defense still had nickel and dime personnel on the field.  The offense knew the play call based on the situation and executed quickly.

I had the Ducks losing one game on the road this year and I figured it would be Washington.  Every goal remains achievable this year and no contender has beaten another contender on the road yet.  Ducks will run the table and make the playoff.  Payback in the PAC-12 title game will be sweet when media will be singing the Washington praise and Penix for Heisman.  It will resemble the Colorado beat down.

Hope you are correct and if so will you provide stock tips?😉

• Haha 1

Dan was literally one play away from being hailed as a genius Saturday.   If only Bo ran harder/better and got that 4th down conversion, or if only we made the field goal and won in OT... It's not 100% his fault.  CFB is fun because it's imperfect.  Everyone makes mistakes.   It's too harsh to blame the loss all on Lanning, IMHO.

I really hope we get a chance to play the puppies again this year in the pac12 championship game.   Waiting another year is just about the worst outcome of this loss.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will vehemently defend DLs 4th quarter decision to go for it on 4th down. It absolutely was the right call for the reasons Dan game in the press conference.

Did anyone see the live shots of Penix pacing the sidelines itching to get back in for the game winning drive? Did you also see how dejected he looked once he saw Oregon was going for it on 4th down?

You don't voluntarily give the ball back to that guy, in that moment, with any significant time left.

He went 50 yards in 34 seconds. Making him go 75-99 yards would only have had a worse result with him burning enough time off the clock to prevent our last drive to try to answer.

I love what Josh Pate said yesterday about Dan and these calls. 100%

• Thumbs Up 2

Charles, I have to agree with a lot of what you say, however everyone has a learning cycle and obviously Lanning is still learning.  My prediction:  The Ducks will win out and beat the Huskies in Vegas for the conference championship and end up in the National Championship playoffs.

• Applause 1