Charles Fischer

Yikes. Cringe Time...

Our biggest booster is not happy....

Mr. FishDuck

Can't we escape Pac-12 refs any sooner?   (My apologies for the language I cannot remove)

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Truly a low blow...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Do I have to?

200.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Couple things...

1. Washington defenders and offensive linemen got away with a TON of holding. Also what's up with Washington defenders lowering their helmets into players? Many of these hits are "legal" because they aren't helmet to helmet but if you go back and watch there are an absolute ton of Washington players making hits and getting their helmets into the players they are tackling. It may be borderline legal at times but it's dirty.

2. We, the common fan, may not have Lanning's ear. Though I would love to think that he reads my weekly article but he has forgotten more football than I know so my takes aren't worth much. But Phil Knight certainly has Lanning's ear and if Knight isn't happy then Lanning is going to hear about it. I like to think Lanning has learned his lesson about taking the points and knowing when he should punt. End of a half after getting a turnover.. yeah take the points they are free points. Punt to get the ball clear of your side of the field... absolutely give your defense a chance to get a stop.

I love Lanning and I often love his aggressive mentality, but he needs to temper it.

I have overall liked the Will Stein hire... but I go back to thinking that Lanning may have been better off with a more veteran OC. Someone who has called games for a rather long time and can just tell Lanning to take the points.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

He’s just a fan like the rest of us. Just has a few more commas in his bank account than the rest of us. 

Thankfully we still control our destiny. Take care of business and get the rematch in Vegas. Winner of the game (if the winner has only 1 loss) will get into the playoffs.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I've said it before and will say it again (for the last time, I promise): punt the --- ---- football. I understand PK"s reaction and I had a feeling of dread as Oregon lined up to snap that ball. . Just to give you some local flavor on this, Kirby Smart, in this first year, did exactly the same thing on a Fourth and 2 and it ended up costing him the game. The opponent: Vanderbilt on homecoming day. Maybe this wasn't as risky as giving Washington back the ball in the middle of the field, but the results were the same and he took unbelievable heat for it.

But as I also said the other day, it is now water over the dam and we need to look ahead rather than backwards and hope that lessons have been learned.

• Applause 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:47 PM, QuackyQuack said:

He’s just a fan like the rest of us. Just has a few more commas in his bank account than the rest of us. 

You really don’t believe this do you?

Phil Knight has access and influence that the average fan can only dream of. The AD didn’t consult with me about joining the B1G…

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/15/2023 at 10:42 PM, OregonDucks said:

You really don’t believe this do you?

Phil Knight has access and influence that the average fan can only dream of. The AD didn’t consult with me about joining the B1G…

Of course PK has influence (as he should!). What I was saying is he is a fan of the ducks just like all of us and can have emotions during tough losses. Lord knows he has had his share of these moments with OBD. 

• Applause 1

On 10/16/2023 at 8:09 AM, QuackyQuack said:

Of course PK has influence (as he should!). What I was saying is he is a fan of the ducks just like all of us and can have emotions during tough losses. Lord knows he has had his share of these moments with OBD. 

Yes, but the point is, unlike the rest of us, Phil Knight can do something about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a conversation after the game with Dan Lanning or Rob Mullens. 

I’m sure that PK doesn’t like to see the same mistakes happening again and again, especially against our rivals, potentially costing us a shot at the playoffs (the margin of error is now zero the rest of the way).  

Edited by OregonDucks

On 10/15/2023 at 8:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Our biggest booster is not happy....

I said A LOT worse than that……

On 10/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, OregonDucks said:

Yes, but the point is, unlike the rest of us, Phil Knight can do something about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a conversation after the game with Dan Lanning or Rob Mullens. 

I’m sure that PK doesn’t like to see the same mistakes happening again and again, especially against our rivals, potentially costing us a shot at the playoffs (the margin of error is now zero the rest of the way).  

A little over reaction… How do you think that conversation would go? I am sure PK is a better leader than that. He knows how to manage stressful situations and micromanaging after a 3 point loss on the road is not a good tactic. 

Truthfully I don’t believe the outcome of this game mattered for the CFP (it mattered to all of us because we hate losing to the Fuskies). If both us and WA run the table and meet in the PAC championship game the winner of that will get the playoff berth. If we won this game and lost the pac championship you think we get the bid? Nope. Season is still fully in our hands. This loss might have been exactly what our players and coaches needed to kick it into overdrive and dominate from here on out. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2023 at 10:06 AM, QuackyQuack said:

This loss might have been exactly what our players and coaches needed to kick it into overdrive and dominate from here on out. 

That is a very strong point, and is the positive spin I say to myself because it is true.  Psychologically....it is hard to beat a team twice, and easy to get "up" for a team you narrowly lost to.

Our Beloved Ducks can still do it!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

As previously stated, PK was wearing his fan shoes, like the rest of us, at the time of his reaction. 

Do you really think he attained what he has by making decisions based on emotional impulse?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's inferring a bunch that PK is upset with going for it on 4th.

He was upset we were giving the ball back to Penix. It didn't matter where we gave it back.

PK's expletive deleted was a lot 'nicer' than what was heard in my Man Cave on Saturday. 

But I think, especially, with 2 CBs dinged up, that going for it on 4th down with a chance to seal a victory on the road was the right decision with bad play calls, IMO, on both 3rd and 4th down. 

Based on alignment both plays were easy for the UW D to diagnose and stop. 

The decision that still troubles me the most is not kicking the FG at the end of the 1st half with Oregon receiving the 2nd half kickoff and UW's field position being meaningless.

One guy I cannot excuse is a veteran FG kicker who had 2 KOs go out-of-bounds and missed a very makeable field goal. Ducks may have lost but if so, it should have been a loss in OT. 

Very frustrating but half the season is left so next case.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

That is a very strong point, and is the positive spin I say to myself because it is true.  Psychologically....it is hard to beat a team twice, and easy to get "up" for a team you narrowly lost to.

Yes, the Ducks CAN still do it.

”It” being the playoffs. But there is no room for failure. One stumble and they’re out.

If the Ducks make it to Vegas, against the Huskies, I expect a win.

We must remember…..Oregon went toe to toe with the Huskies in front of 70,000-plus fans screaming their heads off…….and came within a couple yards of winning.

In retrospect, it was a very impressive performance.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Psychologically....it is hard to beat a team twice, and easy to get "up" for a team you narrowly lost to.

Absolutely!!  And if we do meet again it will be in Las Vegas, not Montlake.  That alone should make a difference.

On 10/16/2023 at 10:06 AM, QuackyQuack said:

A little over reaction… How do you think that conversation would go? I am sure PK is a better leader than that. He knows how to manage stressful situations and micromanaging after a 3 point loss on the road is not a good tactic. 

Truthfully I don’t believe the outcome of this game mattered for the CFP (it mattered to all of us because we hate losing to the Fuskies). If both us and WA run the table and meet in the PAC championship game the winner of that will get the playoff berth. If we won this game and lost the pac championship you think we get the bid? Nope. Season is still fully in our hands. This loss might have been exactly what our players and coaches needed to kick it into overdrive and dominate from here on out. 

Phil Knight (PK) is highly competitive, fully vested in the success of the University of Oregon and did not build a Fortune 100 company from nothing with passive leadership (I highly recommend reading “Shoe Dog”). For example, Nike hired an outside CEO, after PK retired, and quickly made a change when it was apparent that the new CEO did not fit the company’s culture. 

Please note, I am not suggesting that Phil does not have full faith in Dan Lanning and the direction that the program is headed. However, like others, he may be a little disappointed that Dan Lanning did not seem to learn from his in-game management mistakes, which arguably cost Oregon 2 games last season, to our most hated rivals. Depending on his relationship with Lanning, he could offer a subtle hint/suggestion or speak with Rob Mullens about his concerns. Mullens sits down with each of the Oregon head coaches after the season. This is how you mentor and develop a young leader. Lanning preaches a growth mindset (i.e., the 1%).

We will likely never know what happens but I hope that Dan Lanning at least has a small group of trusted mentors that he goes to for feedback and advice. 

In terms of the playoffs, the loss eliminated any margin of error from now to the Pac-12 Championship Game, and Oregon may need some of the other one loss and undefeated teams to lose another game or two to pave a playoff path for Oregon. There are some big time programs, with national championships, right in front and behind Oregon in the polls today (e.g., Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, Bama, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State).

As an Oregon football fan, I am hoping for pandemonium the rest of the season!  

My interpretation is that Phil Knight swore when Oregon didn't convert.  Why do you think it was because of the decision to go for it?