FishDuck Article

Oregon to Emulate Utah’s Key Advantage?

There is one key advantage that Utah Coach Kyle Whittingham has created that Oregon hopes to emulate during the Dan Lanning era with the Ducks, and it is a quality within Kyle’s staff that will show up in today’s game. I was not aware that the recruiting disparity was a large as it is, and thus this component has become ...

FISHDUCK.COM

There is one key advantage that Utah Coach Kyle Whittingham has created that Oregon hopes to emulate during the Dan Lanning era with the...
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Nice article Charles! IMO coach has the grey matter to get the job done. He has that working list of coaches he has worked/wants to work with and has built a great staff. The recruiting has not dropped off since the last two Florida phonies. He has developed the players better than the last two. He has learned from his missteps--unlike the last two.

There appears to be no ceiling with coach which will only show the players that they too have none. We have seen true freshman play and thrive in this system. If OBD have them for three or more seasons under this NIL umbrella? We will see more playoffs than not!

I usually give three years for a new coach but DL has proven in 1.5 that he's the next big thing at Oregon. The B1G got the best deal picking up Oregon and Washington! Thanks uncle Phil for making it happen!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This is a great topic. Tallent acquisition and player development are 2 key components in the future success of OBD. Especially going into the B1G.

I could be wrong but I think we are already seeing this quality in the development of guys like Boettcher, Tez, Evan Williams and even Bo Nix. I could list more but the point is made.

Utah is a highly respected team among the Duck fan base. KW is talked about very highly. Dude is a great coach. Utes will be my second favorite team once they leave for the B12.

Player development is a huge factor in Utes success. KW and his staff have emerged to be some of the best teachers in the CFB. I think Whit is brilliant as a HC.

I made some comments about QB2 on another thread. This topic was an underlying idea behind why I made the comments I did.

From what I have seen of qb2 this year is night and day different from past years. The guy is actually being developed it seems. Unfortunately, the damage done by the last staff had to be undone first.

One more thing to bolster Charles ponderings (haha). Ducks have landed verbals from a ton of Blue Chips. Many of these kids talk about their position coaches ability to develope them at their respective position. It seems to be a common theme. 

I know Lanning and his staff leave no rock unturned. I know they preach developing and getting better at every level, including coaching. It's  the 1% mantra.

Utes develope at an elite level. It's proven year after year. I appears that Lanning and his staff are well on their way as well.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

Don’t know the answer to this but I wonder if Wit is Abel to hang on to his staff for many seasons. Seems like the Ducks are always chasing assistant coaches. This could make the difference. 

I expect Jon will know the answer if you get on this morning.

It would be interesting to know how many Utah players have finished their Mormon mission commitments and are close to being full grown men as opposed to the teenagers against whom they are competing.  I remember being shocked that Utah great Britain Covey was close to 25 years old as he was running a punt back for a TD against OBD.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Development is key, and quite evidently something Whittingham and his staff do well. The other aspect is picking talent which fits your scheme and culture.

I don't downplay the development of players, but the shotgun approach of a couple previous coaches didn't serve the program well. Lanning is developing talent, but going after specific players. 

Lanning and his coaches know the makeup of the players they want. Just because they have stars next to their name isn't enough. They have to fit the culture, and be, in some cases, very specific types of athletes to fit the mold they need for the scheme. 

I would say Whittingham has created a very strong culture, and that is number 1. The other thing he has done is pick Bellotti, Brooks type of guys. He gets a 3* qb like Rising, a Bryson Barnes from Milford Utah, nobody wanted. These guys play with a chip on their shoulders, and have talent his culture feeds off. 

I tend to think we aren't anything like what we use to be or what Utah is now. We are creating, not a blue blood program, but an elite talent level program. The trick is still keeping that hunger Utah shows, and the way Oregon use to play.

I think Lanning is doing that and this will be the trick going forward. Talent and talent development is important, but plenty of programs have failed with elite talent. It is the culture Whittingham has and the culture we are beginning to see and hopefully will see this afternoon. 

We have seen little let up in effort and resilience within this team this season. The question is can this keep up and grow, develop. That is what I want to see today and going forward this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Discussions about player development(PD) have certainly layered the Fishduck landscape since MC became the Duck HC.

While the level of recruiting moved to Top 10 (or near) it was pointed out by Charles, the gifted writers and Forum members that many players were not remotely reaching their potential.

Coach em up filled articles and posts. We all were excited as the Duck roster began filling with future NFL talent level players.....yes!

Yet each season the Ducks had weaknesses in all 3 phases of the game. (Not to mention MC throttled down the QB's and the offense)

So.....either

1. The HC and staff lacked the ability to develope the players

2. The high level players didn't want to be developed. They knew MC and staff wouldnt make them sit or replace them.

3. The HC and staff recruited ☆stars☆ not players who could fill specific needs to eliminate weaknesses

4. All of the above.......

IMHO, DL and staff are proving that their PD program is evidenced on the field.

Take the improvement on D.

Last season the D could not cover the deep ball, cover over the middle, pressure the QB, get sacks and stop 3rd and long........ (did I miss anything?)

That is the recipe for a 6-6 or 7-5 season. Yet DL and staff took the under developed talent and carved out a 9-3 season. If not for a Bo injury and DL coaching decisions shoulda, coulda, woulda been 11-1.

DL admitted he did not have the skilled, developed players to run his D scheme. They adjusted and simply outscored 9 regular season opponents. Thats a combo of coaching and talent.

Not the case this year. Thru recruiting, the portal and PD those D weaknesses are greatly reduced..

It is obvious, to me, that on a DL team, you best take the coaching and improve each day or you may not see the field. Thats a great motivator.....

Charles, whether DL builds a PD program with longevity like Coach Belotti or KW depends how long DL stays a Duck. That will always be a big "IF"

I ponder on how much Belotti and KW have done and accomplished with 2 and 3 stars mingled with 4 stars.

My heart skips a beat and my hopes soar as I ponder what heights the Ducks can reach when you PD repeated classes of 19 plus 4/5☆.

The future is bright under DL.

Thanks for this safe haven for an old Duck to share his thoughts. Life takes so many turns on its journey, some are not pleasant or easy.  Its a blessing to have a like minded community to share ones thoughts with.

As always looking foward to the Forum posts. Especially on game day crazy......

Go Ducks!  Beat the Utes......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/28/2023 at 5:05 AM, Log Haulin said:

I think we are already seeing this quality in the development of guys like Boettcher, Tez, Evan Williams and even Bo Nix. I could list more but the point is made.

Agreed.  We have big jumps from too many to mention, and where improvement did not take place, (Donte Manning) then portal recruiting solved the problem.  Speaking of corners...what growth/development by Jahlil Florence, as I did not see him becoming a starter as he did before his injury.

Oregon football cornerback Jahlil Florence fares well in starting debut -  oregonlive.com

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think it is a little harder to instill the want to is some 4-5* guys, but from the get go it seems to have been a focus of DL.

Get better every day. Do something every day to become a better player. 

We heard it over an dover again and still do. 

Lanning lineage is from two programs that sign a lot of blue chip players and then make them better. He knows you aren't going to win against GA, Bama or OSU or Michigan in the B1G if the 4-5* guys aren't better as Sophs than freshmen and better as Juniors than sophs. 

Can he do it to the level of the Utes? That's a big task and maybe not necessary, but I'd sure like to see it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cristobal was right to point out that there are three things that matter. Player evaluation, recruiting and development. Too bad he was only good at recruiting.

Dan has already proved he is good at evaluation and recruiting and is on his way to proving he has coaches that are good at developing.