OregonDucks

Bo Nix Runs in Utah Game

I was delighted to see Bo Nix with more designed runs against Utah.  He only had 4 carries for 8 yards but most of them were short yardage situations including a TD and, if I'm not mistaken, the TD near the goal line where he tossed a lateral pass to Holden looked like an RPO play where he had the option to run it.  It was nice to see Oregon's offense take advantage of his mobility in a big game.

Where were those plays in Seattle against UW, especially on the last 4th and 3?

• Thumbs Up 2

Nix doesn't need to run for a lot and doesn't need to do it a ton. 

But making defenses respect it pays dividends and takes defenders out of the play. 

Nix isn't Mariota and isn't a home run threat from anywhere in the field. But where he excels is on short yardage.

And a couple yard touchdown rush is dangerous and is just as dangerous as a ten yard rush for a first down and defenses need to respect that. 

Bo needs to run more but they need to be smart runs. Runs where he has some protection whether it is through blocking scheme or a bit of trickery. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hate seeing Bo run. I'm glad he is a running weapon, but the less I see him running, the better. 

And fortunately, given we have an offense that is getting an amazing 40% of our yards on the ground, versus UW that is only getting 20% of their yardage rushing, thankfully, we rarely need to have Bo run.

And if we remember last year when we played the Huskies, he was injured on a running play which effected him the rest of the season.

Edited by Desert Duck

I’m with you @Desert Duck.

I hold my breath every time Nix keeps it.

And the dude doesn’t slide—he lowers his shoulder. 👎

But he rarely fails.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everytime I see Bo run, I just flash back to last year, as well as seeing both Marcus and Justin taken out of games on running plays. 

Fan PTSD is brutal 😉

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Great post! 1

I hope he runs more. I hope he pulls the ball and trucks defenders and stays healthy doing it. I love that part of his game. He is good at it. 

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, Log Haulin said:

I hope he runs more. I hope he pulls the ball and trucks defenders and stays healthy doing it. I love that part of his game. He is good at it. 

Stop it 🛑 😉

There's absolutely no question that he's good at it. I would say that he is actually great at it. It's even fun to see him run.

But, as I mentioned above, we are getting an amazing 40% of our offense on the ground... without Bo running. When we need him to run, like we did against Texas Tech, then sure, I agree that he should run. 

IMHO, there is less than zero reason to risk injury by having him run more than absolutely necessary. 

That is all.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:14 PM, Desert Duck said:

Stop it 🛑 😉

There's absolutely no question that he's good at it. I would say that he is actually great at it. It's even fun to see him run.

But, as I mentioned above, we are getting an amazing 40% of our offense on the ground... without Bo running. When we need him to run, like we did against Texas Tech, then sure, I agree that he should run. 

IMHO, there is less than zero reason to risk injury by having him run more than absolutely necessary. 

That is all.

Just my opinion. Not saying it is right or wrong. I don't think your assesment is wrong either. There is risk involved for sure. 

I would love to see this offense with a running Bo Nix. They would be unstoppable. I would be laughing all the way to the cfp.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 4:20 PM, Log Haulin said:

Just my opinion. Not saying it is right or wrong. I don't think your assesment is wrong either. There is risk involved for sure. 

I would love to see this offense with a running Bo Nix. They would be unstoppable. I would be laughing all the way to the cfp.

He's just so damn competitive that he likes to lower his shoulder into the defense. If he'd slide more, I'd feel a lot better when I see him take off. 

But still, there's nothing quite like the defense totally biting on the running back, and then seeing your quarterback turn the corner with the ball. I have a feeling we're going to see that somewhere along the way, in a crunch time situation, where Bo takes it in for 6. 

• Like 1

I liked Masoli leveling the Oklahoma State guy in the Holiday bowl.  And the other OSU barkratt safety a year later in the 2009 Civil War that sealed the win 

Bo running is good for the Ducks, but it needs to continue to be smart running.  It forces the defense to account for him.

Having him run into the teeth of the defense is not smart (see Nix last year and Herbert his sophomore year.  

IMHO, the QB has no business running between the tackles unless it is a 1 or 2 yard QB sneak following his blockers.

Edited by PittDuck
  • Great post! 1