Charles Fischer

Nicole Auerbach: 'I'm All-In on These Ducks'

Oregon continues to get praise from the pundits, and unlike the past--it is not the soft damning praise that comes with disclaimers.  (But they are in the Pac-12, you know)  Now The Athletic has writers sold on the Ducks too. Below is ranking by Nicole Auerbach, and again--the highest one-loss team over Texas and Alabama.

I never would have been able to write that in the past!

6. Oregon (8-1)

Ducks quarterback Bo Nix might be the quietest Heisman Trophy contender I can remember, at least this late in the season. But Nix is absolutely in the mix for the award, and he continues to put up spectacular numbers. In a 63-19 win over Cal, Nix threw for 386 yards and four touchdowns and ran for two more.

Early mistakes didn’t matter much, but they give Dan Lanning plenty to harp on this week in practice, if he wants to. Judging by his postgame comments in which he lamented lost opportunities due to penalties and other self-inflicted wounds, it’s clear Lanning wasn’t very happy … with 63 freaking points in a conference game in November.

But that’s who he is, and this is part of the reason I’m all in on these Ducks. They’re getting better as the season goes on.

Oregon's Dan Lanning blasts Colorado: 'They're fighting for clicks'

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The exchange between DL and Crepea about the penalties was golden.   If you watch the whole post game presser you will see it.  

I am sure they heard about it yesterday and will certainly hear about it today at practice.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I absolutely love Lanning's mentality and inner speech he has for his players, 'so what, now what.' I also think it is critical how Lanning has no tolerance for penalties where there is a lack of self discipline, that is weakness.

I think Bo Nix epitomizes Lanning's so what now what mentality. There was the tipped interception, move on, defense isn't what he expected, adjust.

This was a small element of Nix when he came here, and probably being broken at Auburn. Now it has grown and allowed Nix to thrive at Oregon.

The mentality where you don't make discipline mistakes is also taking over the program and culture at Oregon. Self inflicted wounds are unacceptable, but we are still moving up the learning curve on that one.

These two mindsets, ok with failure, just learn, and discipline of character, mind, are why I am so positive on the Ducks this season. We have the players, but the mental attitudes I am seeing overtake the program is the glue which I hope to see become the trademark of a Lanning led team, The Culture. 

Who knows how far this can take us, but I am excited to see the answer.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

I read that the sideline interference call was against Nix.

Nix was so engaged in the game from the sideline that he got caught up in it.

Compare that to Williams crying in the stands. Just sayin’…

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, Haywarduck said:

This was a small element of Nix when he came here, and probably being broken at Auburn. Now it has grown and allowed Nix to thrive at Oregon.

The big thing for Nix at Oregon is that the offense is built around giving him the tools he needs to succeed. He's got a monster on-line and a fantastic run game. Then receivers for days. 

He gets to play and excel within the system and not need to play hero ball. 

He has two interceptions on the year.... But that second one is technically an interception but it wasn't on him. I feel there needs to be another statistic for what happens if the ball is touched by another player while in the air before it's intercepted. 

His pass to Johnson was right on him and beautifully placed but Johnson couldn't bring it in and it bounced into the arms of Cal.

Nix will get his chance to get revenge on Washington... Unless the Huskies melt down down the stretch which means we play someone else. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/6/2023 at 8:59 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

I read that the sideline interference call was against Nix.

Nix was so engaged in the game from the sideline that he got caught up in it.

Compare that to Williams crying in the stands. Just sayin’…

I had no problem with Williams crying in his mother’s arms after the Husky game. To me, it just humanizes him. Doesn’t make him any less of a person or a football player. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 12:01 PM, DUCKED said:

To me, it just humanizes him. Doesn’t make him any less of a person or a football player. 

I agree—I felt really bad for him to be put in that position.

I would argue that it does reflect poorly on his leadership skills, though.

And this is also in the context of Williams generally being a poor sport.

The contrast with Nix is striking.

On 11/6/2023 at 12:01 PM, DUCKED said:

I had no problem with Williams crying in his mother’s arms after the Husky game. To me, it just humanizes him. Doesn’t make him any less of a person or a football player. 

The question was the emotion anger, or sadness? Sadness he had lost another game as a trojan through little fault of his own. This is an emotion many trojan players have gone through over the last decade plus, sometimes it has been justified.

The other would be anger at knowing he was sold a story by the head coach. The tears of anger when you realize a coach fooled you into believing he could put together a complete team. This is something many many are beginning to understand with Riley. Charles led the way to better understanding this pissed off emotion under MariØ!

The other emotion which brings tears, and seldom in recent history as a trojan, is tears of joy. We are headed that way at a much quicker rate than the trojans, further evidence of that will come this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 2

On BTN today, Nicole confirmed that Oregon is playing better than UW and is a playoff-worthy team.

Mr. Marsh, then are you saying he isn't as good as the team is making him look? Is he more a Johnny Football who had NFL receivers he could throw it anywhere to and a team built around him?

Or is he more a Justin Herbert who had the skills which developed and were mostly underrated? 

I shudder to think he compares to Johnny, and Justin is a tough comparison too, but the development this year is astounding. I would say he is his own person, and time will tell where he fits. In the Heisman hype I tend to think he is underrated.

I think he is an excellent qb in college we are lucky to have, and maybe we shouldn't compare, just enjoy the ride!

I am curious about what you are saying are the biggest factors in his success, or am I reading into your comment?

• Thumbs Up 2