Desert Duck

Massive Duck Recruiting Weekend

I still hate the late start time, but SI made a great point about it that I had not thought about before:

"... with the 7:30 pm PT kickoff time that was announced for Oregon vs. USC, but a late kick will allow the staff to host even more elite talent, particularly from the South or the East Coast."

In addition to smacking the Trojans back down to So Cal, we may likely see some more amazing commitments this weekend.

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/recruiting/oregon-preparing-for-massive-recruiting-weekend-vs-usc

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Assuming O wins, which I think they will.  OK, I'll stop complaining about the late start.

Edited by Mic

On 11/7/2023 at 10:12 PM, Mic said:

Assuming O wins, which I think they will.  OK, I'll stop complaining about the late start.

Nah... don't do that. It still sucks. I was just glad to read SI's glass-half-full perspective. 

• Cool 1

Late start is tough for us eastern Ducks. Especially those of us who work on Sunday, it's pretty much impossible.

• Applause 2

Oregon Football Recruiting Visitor List vs. USC Trojans

The Oregon Ducks will host the USC Trojans this Saturday at 7:30 pm PT on Fox.

The late kickoff time will help Oregon's recruiting efforts, as it will allow more players time to travel to Eugene.

The Ducks have the No. 6 recruiting class in 2024 according to 247Sports, but they're bringing in big-time recruits across multiple classes in an effort to continue loading the roster with elite talent.

The names below have either been confirmed independently by Ducks Digest or announced their trips over social media.

Make sure to check back often, as this list will be updated once more recruits are confirmed...

To access the visitor list, click here.

4-star tight end Roger Saleapaga, 2025 5-stars Noah Williams, Nasir Wyatt among over 50 recruits visiting Oregon football for game against USC

Oregon is set to host more than 50 recruits, including 12 of its commits, for Saturday’s game against USC.

The No. 6 Ducks (8-1, 5-1 Pac-12) are set to host at least 55 recruits this weekend, including an official visit from 4-star tight end Roger Saleapaga and 2025 5-stars Jonah Williams and Nasir Wyatt, the top-ranked player in the state of California.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Ducks are set to host at least 55 recruits this weekend, including an official visit from 4-star tight end Roger Saleapaga...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:15 PM, OhioDuck said:

Late start is tough for us eastern Ducks. Especially those of us who work on Sunday, it's pretty much impossible.

Late night starts are even bad for us in Oregon. I mean, going out to Autzen for a night game that ends around 11:30 pm local presents a lot of logistical issues, not the least is traffic.  I live almost 90 miles from the stadium and that means an over-night stay is almost mandatory.  But good luck getting a room in Eugene on nights like tomorrow when USC comes to town.  Or, the Civil War game.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a good number of vacant seats Saturday night due in part to the weather but largely due to the problems above.  It might still be a "sell-out" but I learned years ago, that doesn't necessarily mean 'all seats full'.  The last night game I attended we weren't out of the stadium til after midnight.

But, oh!  Are they fun to watch!  Autzen under the lights can be magical.  GO OREGON!

Autzen is a great experience at night. The weather report looks ok as far as rain but a bit chilly for those condoms of LA.

The only bad part is getting behind the drivers seat after the game and realize you are about to have one of the toughest drives back north you’ll ever have. Hoping you’ll make it home before 2:00 am.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

I can't believe that Oregon is set to host 50+ recruits on Saturday, including many 4 and 5 stars from all over the country. 

LOL.  Did anyone else notice 2026 QB Knox Kiffin is scheduled to attend the game?  It would be funny if committed to Oregon over his dad, Lane Kiffin, and Ole Miss.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:16 AM, Mic said:

Autzen under the lights can be magical. 

Ah, yes, but the game could start at 5:00 pm and the game would still be under the lights. 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, Annie said:

Ah, yes, but the game could start at 5:00 pm and the game would still be under the lights. 🙂

True that.  A little bird tells me the Midwestern schools on our schedule next year are not going to put up with 7:30 pm (PST) starts.  Just guessing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, Mic said:

True that.  A little bird tells me the Midwestern schools on our schedule next year are not going to put up with 7:30 pm (PST) starts.  Just guessing. 

I think you are right.

Probably the only night-starts will be when we play any of the west coast teams, and I think we play only two per year and one would probably be away. But if the B1G cares about all the conference viewers being able to enjoy all the conference games, then maybe the start times for those games would not be later than 4 or 5 pm.

• Applause 1

Nasir Wyatt and Phil Knignt...

• Like 1

Speedster Gatlin Bair Pops up in Eugene as Ducks Continue Flip Efforts

The Boise State wide receiver commit is one of the best playmakers in the country.

Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks are hot on the recruiting trail in the 2024 class.

They're in the midst of their biggest recruiting weekend of the regular season and a big name popped up in Eugene for the USC game. 

2024 Burly (Id.) wide receiver Gatlin Bair, who's verbally committed to Boise State, made the trip to Oregon to see the Ducks take on the Trojans.

Bair committed to Boise State in August and chose the Broncos from a top five that also included Oregon, Michigan, Nebraska and TCU.

The 6-foot-2, 195-pound pass catcher is rated a four-star (0.9786) recruit according to the 247Sports Composite. The same system ranks him the No. 40 player nationally, the No. 10 wide receiver and the No. 1 recruit in Idaho. 

The elite wide receiver's visit to Eugene is particularly notable because Boise State fired head coach Andy Avalos on Sunday morning with just two games left on the schedule.

Oregon wide receivers coach Junior Adams and special teams coordinator Joe Lorig also recently made the trip to Idaho to take in a Burley game.

Oregon's 2024 recruiting class is ranked No. 6 nationally by 247Sports and already features commitments from wide receivers Jordan Anderson, Dillon Gresham and Jack Ressler. 

But Junior Adams and the Ducks aren't getting complacent, as they're continuing to push for elite playmakers to come play their college football in Eugene.

Troy Franklin is all but guaranteed to be NFL-bound with the season he's having, becoming the first Oregon wide receiver to pass 1,000 receiving yards since 2018.

To access details in this article, click here.

I sure hope Gaitin got to see Tez Johnson & Troy Franklin score their two TD's last night.  Those were impressive as all get-out.  And to think, we had been hearing about all this "speed" in the USC lineup on defense.  Uhh.. no, not entirely.

Gatlin Bair is a dream recruit in my view of the new Ducks, or the rebuilding of what was almost destroyed.

We need to continue to pursue speed, and more speed. Signing Gatlin, a 6' 2" speedster would be huge!

Also sad to hear Andy Avalos lost his job, a good guy!

On 11/12/2023 at 4:48 PM, Haywarduck said:

Gatlin Bair is a dream recruit in my view of the new Ducks, or the rebuilding of what was almost destroyed.

We need to continue to pursue speed, and more speed. Signing Gatlin, a 6' 2" speedster would be huge!

Also sad to hear Andy Avalos lost his job, a good guy!

If he were not going on a mission, he would be towards the top of my wish list. Unless he decides to forgo the mission, it is hard to get very excited about this recruitment.  I guess I would rather be the "leader" for a couple years, before having to recruit him again, but it would probably be 3 years at minimum before he is ready to be a significant contributor.

Recruiting Roundup: Top prospects react to big visitor weekend in Eugene

The Oregon Ducks got the job done on the field this weekend against the USC Trojans, winning 36-27 in a game that was never as close as the scoreboard would suggest.

It’s also becoming increasingly clear that they got the job done on the recruiting trail as well, having a successful weekend when it came to hosting over 50 high school prospects with some of the top-ranked players in the 2024, 2025, and 2026 class in town.

Whether it was a handful of players who have already committed to the Ducks, a couple of standout 2024 players whom Oregon is trying to flip or get to commit late in the cycle, or a long list of top prospects in the class of 2025 and beyond, a lot of players left Eugene with rave reviews of the experience and are excited to come back again in the future.

Here are some of the best reactions that we could find over the weekend of players sharing their visit experience...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A bunch of top-rated recruits reacted to their great weekend in Eugene for the Oregon Ducks’ win over USC.

What Jimbo Fisher's Firing Means for Oregon Recruiting

Will Ducks attempt to flip or use portal for aTm players?

Texas A&M made a big decision on Sunday. The Aggies fired head coach Jimbo Fisher after six years in College Station, marking the beginning of the 2023-2024 college coaching carousel.

The age old saying goes "Commit to a program not a coach", but it's no secret that coaching changes have a major ripple effect on the recruiting trail. 

While the Aggies may be going through a rough patch on the field, Texas A&M is one of the biggest recruiting powers in all of college football, as such the Oregon Ducks have found themselves going against the Aggies for blue-chip talent nearly every recruiting cycle.

There's already a lot of speculation that some of the biggest names that have come to College Station in recent years are gearing up to hit the transfer portal with Fisher out as the head coach.

That's likely to happen at any school, just look at Oregon following Mario Cristobal's departure to Miami...

To access the details for this article, click here.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The age old saying goes "Commit to a program not a coach", but it's no secret that coaching changes have a major ripple effect on the recruiting trail. 

I think it is now a dinosaur adage as I think the protal opens immediately for players whose coaches leave/are fired.