Charles Fischer

Is THIS What the B1G Really Wanted?

The LA schools meet next week, and they are a combined 8-7 in conference play?  Really?  The B1G wanted that? The PAC-12 is being dissolved over that?

Yes, audience size, but aren’t most of them bandwagon fans in LA? Are there that many eyes on two .500 teams?

But they are going to do a lot better in the B1Gright?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Good question. But I am certain that Fox wanted to elbow ESPN out of the LA CFB market.

And that both Fox and ESPN are not excited about Corvallis and Pullman.

LOL at how many experts are calling the SC at Michigan game the B1G 2024 game of the year. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 10:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I am certain that Fox wanted to elbow ESPN out of the LA CFB market.

And that both Fox and ESPN are not excited about Corvallis and Pullman.

Really good points.  "Sigh."

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well, they got this fan base:Screenshot_20231112-110910.thumb.png.53f322fafa3d94eef1d2aedad8c38474.png

• Haha 1

USC has always been full of themselves, but what have they really produced in recent years except a great quarterback. They have always thought they were better than then the PAC. There were many errors made on the way but the deciding play was USC leaving, all other things could have been fixed. They didn't even let the new commissioner fix the problems in their eagerness to leave bolting within a month of his starting.  

I also feel that the BIG is going to be disappointed in USC but not in Oregon or Wash. who they took reluctantly. I hate that the PAC died. Maybe in the future it can come back in some form but it will never be the same.

Wonder if Chip will survive this season…

On 11/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, Sandy Rocks said:

USC has always been full of themselves, but what have they really produced in recent years except a great quarterback. They have always thought they were better than then the PAC. There were many errors made on the way but the deciding play was USC leaving, all other things could have been fixed. They didn't even let the new commissioner fix the problems in their eagerness to leave bolting within a month of his starting. 

This. 

USC stabbed the PAC-12 in the back. Instead of speaking with the commissioner about their concerns, they secretly orchestrated their exit to the B1G. The PAC would have survived if UCLA didn’t tag along with USC, IMO. 

On 11/12/2023 at 11:16 AM, OregonDucks said:

I am blown away by their season.  They started the season with QB depth that I drooled at...three QBs!  Now they are left with scoring only seven points on ASU?  Whew!

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am blown away by their season.  They started the season with QB depth that I drooled at...three QBs!  Now they are left with scoring only seven points on ASU?  Whew!

Beyond that isn't it really strange to be talking about a Chip Kelly team that has a good defense but absolutely zero offense????

ASU is better than their record but UCLA should have been able to handle them you'd think. 

I think Chip is going quarterback shopping in the portal again this year. He inherited a solid QB in DTR but he clearly doesn't have a QB this year. 

This is exactly what the B1G wanted.

Remember, every decision the B1G makes is in the best interest of UM and tOSU.

Bringing in the LA market, and NOT risking losses to their premiere teams fits their goals. They also recruit CA.

They don't care if the LA schools do well or not.

It is enjoyable though, to see them both struggle. They are the biggest reason for the Pac-12's demise. 

Karma, baby.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 1:25 PM, DanLduck said:

Remember, every decision the B1G makes is in the best interest of UM and tOSU.

Bringing in the LA market, and NOT risking losses to their premiere teams fits their goals. They also recruit CA.

I had not thought of it that way, and it is an astute observation. Thanks, as I need to add that to my B1G perception.  (I am new at thinking about us and B1G!)

Yet, Oregon could mess that strategy up when Danimal stacks great recruiting classes up, and can play toe-to-toe with those two.

Oh yeah.  B1G still wins, as they got us at a discount.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

USC was really good from the 1950's through the early 1970's because they were able to snag all the scholarships and stock pile recruits. Then the NCAA changed the rules and they didn't do so well. Later, they did well with Pete Carroll. Since then nothing has happened. The next great coach or player is just around the bend but always falls through. The fans are there when they do well and disappear when they the don't. Every year they are highly ranked and every year they fall off and are no longer relevant. I was happy when they left the PAC but now they destroyed it and we have to put up with them again. It's no wonder fans from other programs hate them.

On 11/12/2023 at 2:16 PM, OregonDucks said:

UCLA is already playing a lot of coaching dead money and has the Cali tax payment coming up. And unlike the A+M fans, they are not all that zealous and all that crazy.

Charles, great call on the Buckeyes and Wolverines yet the B1G commish just (kind of) stuck it to Michigan. 

And the conference also piled on during Ohio State's Tattoo Gate episode.

You are so right that SC will not be the lead B1G pony including influencing scheduling for B1G football.

Does Donte Moore hit the portal in search of a better future?

• Let’s hope! 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Doesn't every team in the conference have at least 3 scholarship quarterbacks on their roster?  Simply having 3 quarterbacks on the roster doesn't mean much when not a single one of them is starter quality at the Pac-12 level.

Dante Moore may, or may not, eventually develop into a starter quality QB, but he certainly was never going to be this season, and his failure this season was very predictable.  Any team relying on a true freshman QB to come in and be a starter, particularly when he doesn't have elite physical attributes (Moore isn't an elite athlete, doesn't have optimal size, doesn't have elite arm strength, etc.) is just setting themselves up for failure.

I doubt the B1G wanted any of the logistics nightmares they now have. The SEC didn't want to expand, Texas came to them. It was the upcoming television deal that convinced these leagues to expand. It's a cool idea to be coast to coast I guess, but it's just a headache for all the office people trying to create even schedules, protect rivalries, and have compelling matchups every year. The B1G has done a good job imo, but imagine all the work and research that's come from creating two versions of that flex schedule. First in July, then last month.